Aleph J illustrated build guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The 20v transformer will make no real differences aside from maybe a bit more power. No changes need to be made to the circuit aside from using 35v caps in the PSU, which is just a good idea in general.

The diode you picked out is in the TO-3P package, and might not fit a standard heatsink. TO-247 is just a tad smaller and will fit most PS mount sinks like the ones needed for the discrete bridges.

BYV72EW-200,127 WeEn Semiconductors | Mouser

I have a rookie question.

Finally going to start building this amp in the next week or so (hopefully family doesn’t bug me) and I plan on using an inductor (one for each rail) instead of resistors on the store power supply board. Would I simple wire the inductor in one of the open spots for the resistor or would it go somewhere else?

Just finished my first Aleph J build! It isn’t up and running as it’s blowing the .5Amp 250v fuse I had on hand. It did pass the light bulb tester.
Looking at the FirstWatt Aleph J manual it states a 4Amp 250v slow blow so I’m guessing that is what is needed. Is this correct? Anyway had to post a picture, just cause.
Edit: Sorry about the upside down picture, I’m a goof.

Attachments

• 34794759-46E8-41E7-927F-7B5283ABB366.jpg
    34794759-46E8-41E7-927F-7B5283ABB366.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 610
  • 1C82F716-08A6-451A-88D6-B38C3EBABA81.jpg
    1C82F716-08A6-451A-88D6-B38C3EBABA81.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 620
Nice work, Scott! Looks like you have some thermistors under your volume pot, so this should help with power inrush at turn on, but you do need a bigger fuse. A 4A fuse should do it, though you might get away with a 3A...

Whose transformer with a cover did you use? Is that from Antek?

Last edited:
Hi Eric, thanks. I’ve ordered some 4 Amp fuses and should have them Monday thanks to Amazon. I used .5 Amp fuses I had purchased for the Pearl 2 built last year without giving consideration to the fact they may not be the correct size. Pretty foolish on my part. Live and learn, the devil is in the details, absativly! Both the transformer (model 3218) and cover are from Antek. They make nice products.
Thanks mkane77g!

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm just collecting parts to my build and just bought 8 matched IRFP240.
The seller suggested to
decrease the value of the source resistors from 0.47 Ohms to 0.18 - 0.24 Ohms.
Very good "matched transistors allow this" he said
The reason to do so was:
Low output impedance, low output noise. Also lower value reduce crossover distortion in Class A/B.

Distortion In Power Amplifiers - Home Warranty Appliances
I'm little lost here:confused:
What do you think about this idea?:)

This will increase the current and that will reduce distortion at the cost of greater heatsink requirements. Personally I believe that Nelson has very good ears and has chosen the voltage and current to give the amount (low) and the mix of distortion orders that sounds good (falling at higher orders). I would not change the values unless my speakers were the demanding type that needed it and then I would be more likely to get different speakers.

All that said this is DIY and Nelson would be happy for you to experiment and learn so I would suggest first trying Nelson's version and then modifying it to see how your changes affect the sound. If you plan on doing this, you will need to start with the larger heatsinks like the ones on the 5U from the DIYaudio store.

Jim

Last edited:
This will increase the current and that will reduce distortion at the cost of greater heatsink requirements. Personally I believe that Nelson has very good ears and has chosen the voltage and current to give the amount (low) and the mix of distortion orders that sounds good (falling at higher orders). I would not change the values unless my speakers were the demanding type that needed it and then I would be more likely to get different speakers.

All that said this is DIY and Nelson would be happy for you to experiment and learn so I would suggest first trying Nelson's version and then modifying it to see how your changes affect the sound. If you plan on doing this, you will need to start with the larger heatsinks like the ones on the 5U from the DIYaudio store.

Jim

Oh. Thanks for clarifying that. :)
I'm going to use the 5U heatsink (already got this from another build), and start with Nelson's version .
Br Tommy

Last edited: