Aleph J illustrated build guide

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There are exceptions. I remember that there is a chap from Israel who sells match pairs, but I think he ran out of BL. Spencer of Fet Audio is also a reliable source for original Toshiba. However, all of very much at "market price" of the real deal.

IDSS is the quick test, but trace the transconductance curve should also be done. Many moons ago, it started with jfet disguised as 2SJ74 that passed the IDSS measurement but failed the curve tracing, then jfet not matching IDSS, then not even a jfet!!!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Alwieit is the Israel fellow, his are real, but yes, I believe he is out of BL as well.

Spencer at FET Audio | Hi-End Audio Projects has genuine BL, scroll down a few posts for info. He is expensive, but worth it if you want Toshiba.

Picodumbs - Who is the seller Papa endorsed? I'd love to know in order to point people in the right direction.

Of course, all the matched Linear Systems Jfet in the store are real, work beautifully, and have been matched by yours truly. :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Using the Borbely tester circuit modified for p Junction JFET:
652900d1514197216-2sj74-aleph-solution-channel-gif

I got -10mA for Idss and -2.13V for Vp.

Using the formula from Borbely Transconductance is approximately = -2 Idss/Vp I get about 9.4 mSiemens.

The Toshiba 2SJ74 datasheet says forward transfer admittance per the graph at -10mA should be 40mSiemens.

Did I do the calculation right, and does this show that the part is fake?

I got -10mA for Idss and -2.13V for Vp. ...
Transconductance ... -2 Idss/Vp ... about 9.4 mSiemens.
Calculation ok, part behavior similar to J270/271, not 2SJ74 any grade. No wonder your build has anomalous distortion, I was rather astonished by your spade connector comment. I can imagine a dark and flat presentation compared to correctly populated build.