AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Output

Performs better regarding efficiency.

By that I think JP means less heat if the SMPS is not excessively large, because loss of efficiency manifests as heat. Power supplies in PC's are frequently oversized by large margins and I've never come across or heard of any problems due to too large PSU's.

GASCo, I don't think you have to worry about a 30W SMPS being too large. You just have a big safety margin. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Can someone please tell me why the BOM calls for a 4-position switch when there are only 3 inputs? What happens when the switch is in the 4th position?

Attachments

• Lender_I-O_board.jpg
    Lender_I-O_board.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 335
The fourth's also connects to the switch, like the 3 first ones while the fifth connects to the center connector. I believe to be an output, the traces must come from the center connector without passing through the switch

Thanks for that, GASCo. The spacing really threw me off. I'll be connecting the RCA's to the RCA/switch PCB via 2.54mm header connectors and short leads. That means I'll be able to rearrange the RCA's in a more logical manner.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I managed to salvage a Class II linear PSU marked 12VDC 1000mA. It came out of a wall wart for a Netgear Wi-Fi access point. Haven't tested it yet.

Here it is with the Lender board for scale.

That's a good transformer - although why did you remove it from its protective plastic case? Now you have to deal with line voltages, a wall plug, requisite earth grounding for electrical code, etc, and it is no longer a Class 2 (safe double insulated and essentially no risk of mains electrocution danger) transformer.

I guess if you planned on putting mains into an IEC receptacle on the case anyway, this is one way to go.

Hahaha. That's easy, Twocents, the dog will bark when hungry!! lol

Really, everything is halfway done, I hate that. Missing little parts here and there (all my fault when ordering stuff).

I didn't have any space in my garage to do woodwork until this last weekend, but the FHXLs are turning pretty nice at least! :)

That's a good transformer - although why did you remove it from its protective plastic case? Now you have to deal with line voltages, a wall plug, requisite earth grounding for electrical code, etc, and it is no longer a Class 2 (safe double insulated and essentially no risk of mains electrocution danger) transformer.

I guess if you planned on putting mains into an IEC receptacle on the case anyway, this is one way to go.

I hear you, X. Thanks for the advice. I'll be careful with the line voltages and will provide the necessary grounding, etc. I have some experience with line voltages.

I would certainly have kept the transformer inside the plastic case if I could, but the PSU is too big to fit in the preamp case with the grid/mains pins attached. The plan is to test the preamp with the transformer inside the case. If it turns out to be too noisy, I'll move it out of the preamp case and use another similar PSU that's still in the plastic case.

I've been planning for a while now to have an IEC receptacle and mains switch on the rear panel. I'm sort of practicing for the M2 that's my next project.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi
Do anyone have any LTspice .asc file for this AKSA's Lender Preamp?
It might be there already but I could not find it anywhere.
Thanks in advance.

Here is the LTSpice schematic for the Aksa Lender preamp with the BSP129 model included as directive. You will need the Cordel models txt file to run (you can get that from his website).

Attachments

• AKSA-Lender-Preamp-Production-v6-FFT.asc
    15 KB · Views: 95