Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Measured one channel at a time, across R131 (0.33r MRA5). Each channel measured 0.177v.

Inputs are not connected, outputs are, didn't measure offset as yet.

~Gable

Baah, I'm a knucklehead...

Right Channel - 0.620v
Left Channel - 0.614v

I had left my mains bulb tester in series with the mains power, and the giant incandescent bulb was sucking up most of the power, as it should be.

Removed that, went through the variac, set at 120v, and now they look right.

~Gable

Right on!! Easy Peasy zero adjustment Class A. How is the dc offset?
Music playing yet?

Bulb tester was doing its job - kept bias at 200mA a safe level for Class AB smps to prevent magic smoke. But in Class A, it’s too safe. :)

Haven't checked offset yet. I had just enough time on my lunch break to get those initial measurements.

May have enough time later this evening to check offset, and hopefully rock some tunes!

Haven't checked offset yet. I had just enough time on my lunch break to get those initial measurements.

May have enough time later this evening to check offset, and hopefully rock some tunes!

Off set is:

~3.9mv - right channel, input not shorted
~4.6mv - left channel, input not shorted

The move around a little, but this is stabilized after a few minutes.

First sound later tonight!

Listening to it now:

Tidal HiFi -> iPhone 7+ -> Alpha

Speakers are my bench test speakers, Tang-Band w4-1337 in non optimal bass reflex boxes.

There is a little bit of noise when no music is playing, but it's tiny. Likely the mess of wires that is the proto chassis at the moment.

Sounds class A, a definite signature I recognize. Very high frequency sounds a bit more present, but not shrill, very clear, bass is quite authoritative. Not boomy bass at all, just very well defined I guess.

A few songs in, and I am enjoying it quite a bit, I'll likely listen like this for the next few days in my office, throw lots of different music types at it.

Coltrane's 'Blue Train' album is sounding wonderful so far....

more later..

Cheers,
~Gable

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 1,929

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Until you hear an Aleph you cannot compare it to anything else. They have a certain magic that is very, very attractive. Extremely beautiful amplifiers.

My heart/ear wants the ALPHA but my brain say me it is not a good idea. It took me a few years to get the current sound despite the incredible very noisy electrical network that I suffer in home. And in the air too, with "tons" or RF/EMI.

With a class AB ALPHA with the same harmonic profile I did not doubt for a second. H2 predominance (with SS, no tubes) is my choice without any doubt. With very good and clean PSU off course. Pinocchio and I agree on its importance (very clean PSU).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Fantastic Pcgab!!
Glad to see another ALPHA is born :)
My initial response to first sound was exactly the same as yours, lots of upper frequency energy, but not shrill or bright. I’m starting to think it’s just more accurate or more information I’m hearing (if that makes sense). How do you like the DIYA store soft start board? How hot are your heatsinks getting?

Rock on:D
Vunce

Fantastic Pcgab!!
Glad to see another ALPHA is born :)
My initial response to first sound was exactly the same as yours, lots of upper frequency energy, but not shrill or bright. I’m starting to think it’s just more accurate or more information I’m hearing (if that makes sense). How do you like the DIYA store soft start board? How hot are your heatsinks getting?

Rock on:D
Vunce

It's the second time I've used the soft start board, both times they've worked exactly as they should out of the gate (knock on wood I don't jinx the next one!).

It must be lower distortion, as the clarity is very evident. If I have time tomorrow I'll connect the alpha to my FE126 BLH's.

I have a 100k passive volume control I may throw that between a CDP and the alpha for the next few days. Or my B1 clone, that might work better.

I need to clean up the lab though, it's a mess of parts, and the 4 compression drivers I'm putting new diaphragms in...

The amp should be silent with audio input +/- shorted to each other or disconnected. Long leads passing by a trafo or mains cables can pick up hum.

I assume you did not have to adjust anything, just turn on and listen right?

Yes sir.

I'm pretty sure the tiny bit of hum is from one of the many too long wires draping all over the power supply. I'll tidy them up in the next few days. The hum is really quiet. I'll see if it's present with nothing connected.

Until you hear an Aleph you cannot compare it to anything else. They have a certain magic that is very, very attractive. Extremely beautiful amplifiers.

aleph class a amplifier harmonic graph - Google Search nothing

In the other site I only write in the open Internet, an audiophile forum, I just have write:

About fatigue only I can say that my cheaper and tweaked system has been becoming increasingly revealing as I have been reducing my problems with DC, ripple, noise and interferences (RF/EMI). I do not have fatigue. The sound fills the room and I get excited with more excellent recordings than before.

Usually very great vinyl rips from old analog masters made with tubes -> H2 predominance is my hypothesis -without measures is only a hypothesis. Better without noise and nasty harmonics.

Very good sound without emotion is not the same.

Imagine the magic sum: H2 predominance system (with very low noise and without nasty harmonics) + waveguide

By the way, does anyone know Nelson Pass opinion about the ALPHA, with the Aleph CSS? I suppose he must also be amazed by the harmonic profile achieved.

Last edited: