AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have many amplifiers constructed...guess the one i use to listen?

I can tell you that i am very happy with Lifeforce...others could touch it in quality...others gonne face to face...i could not see a single one beeing clearly better related bass, treble, voices and dinamics.

The one is the winner in dinamics is not so clear in trebles.

The other that produce astounding bass has strange voices

The third one that produced louder trebles...had them distorted.

regards,

Carlos

in my opinion Lifeforce is balanced very good...it has a lot of dinamics but having that it does not destroy the bass or treble or that sweetness that Aksa 55 has....Lifeforce does not have that much sweetness but it has a lot more dinamics and soundstage and much tighter bass than Aksa 55....of course that it is not the best amp in the world but in my opinion it is extremely, extremely good and i can without problems live with it for very long time - it is like a good old faithfull friend that you can turn too.... and that is the quality a value a lot - i don't like to have something in my system that will bother me - this amp is like a friend that will tolerate your moods - it will have you on the palm of it hand so to say and it will look after you so to say it....

Yes i know - i am very attached to this little beauty (i was attached to Aksa 55 a lot because it is very emotional, very seduction able amp but LF is much better and does not talk those sweet things in your ear....)

Why i am saying those strange words - i have had some years ago a speaker from Sonus Faber called Minima Amator....it is a very similar speaker to Aksa 55N+....this speaker also needs to seduce like Aksa 55N+....it is almost dangerous... :)

i hope somebody will understand me and that not to many people will think that i am crazy....
:D

taken by Robert L. Jones in December 2002 in California on a HP339A Distortion Analyser

Sorry to come into this thread late,.....

Although I too have a very open mind I have to say... come on now! The 339 is a dinosaur analyzer long retired by anyone that really cares, I use a Sound Technology that should also be put up on the retired instrument shelf but at least its got a low distortion oscillator thats worth using(.00018% residual @ 1khz).

Hugh,
While I too agree that the ASKA is probebly a very good amp and I do keep an open mind about all this, simply stating the distortion level at half power and so on is meaningless. I'd be far more interested in seeing the distortion spectra of both amps. But whats really most important is listening to it.

Perhaps its time I built an ASKA and we have an ASKA/Krell/Pass shootout in Salt Lake City... there is a good line stage and quite good pair of Dynaudios here and many DIY power amps available to compare it to.... as well as many interested audioholics to come hear and present their own opinion live during the hearing.

If it wins... thats fine. If it doesn't then some other amp brought here probably will, (A few shootouts ago it was the Magnavox 10 watt pc tube amp that won!) but at least it will be a number of others deciding.

If someone that has one wants to attend or send his here thats fine too. Hey Hugh... want to visit Utah?

Mark

Originally posted by Upupa Epops

PCB without fitting holes at the corners, hanging on pins of power transistors, " erected " resistors etc....

Our friend Pavel is not happy with your PCB, AKSA

1. PCB without fitting holes at the corners,
2. hanging on pins of power transistors
3. "erected" resistors
4. etc ....

When you read this, Hugh :) you better start doing some fixes!
Remember it is all so your customers wont complain.
So they can feel happy when buying a PCB board from you.

If I were you, now that the helpful Pavel D. (Upupa Epops? I think Pavel sounds nice & easy )
has given you some hints & advice, the rest should be easily corrected.
Until your Lifeforce will match up to normal standard of audio Amps.
And sell as good as Upupa designs does ;)

---------------------------------

Personally,
I would start fixing number 4. etc ....
That one should be fixed swift & easy .... like a pancake.

Regards
lineup :cool: did you see the joker in lineup eye .. while writing this
....... if you didn't here it is: :clown: :clown: :clown:

Erected resistors are funny.... well boys.

Hugh's team is having hard job till Lifeforce was designed...a strip..a line of customers start to wait for it.

Modifications made keep half of Nirvana Plus, the Aksa 55 modified and tuned to maximum, made this amplifier adequated to measurements too.

So, the amplifiers run delicious to listening and delicious to meterings too, a lot of up to date circuits were included, and a very different front end was applied.

Very deep bass has not losses.... extreme high frequencies are not going to triangle anymore (observed in 55 above audible range, around 52 Kilohertz)...dinamics are bigger and voices are so clear as Nirvana.... an increase of quality is perceived when you switch form old Aksa to this new one.

Some "non perfect" thing observed may be good to Hugh's team to take some rest, as they are really inside a rush too keep customers feeded in the correct time...some monthes ago Hugh was receiving customers Aksa 55 boards to produce the updated and modified, the improved new model, the Lifeforce, that is half different from Aksa 55 Nirvana plus, not totally different, some philosophic ideas, as tuning, continue to be used.

Maybe he can provide boards now a days, but i am not sure, as the idea is to feed the "already customers" in advance conditions related the whole market.

Aksa people are constructing, assembling all amplifier, adjusting and testing, and giving guarantee to high standards of performance.

Everything has defect in this life, nothing is entirelly perfect.... the way Epupa dislike and observe that the amplifier has not screw hole to attach it in the conventional, standard way, also i perceive other defect....the Lifeforce is not for free....cost a good ammount of money when converted to brazilian money, i could not have schematics and i had to wait 63 days to receive it ready to work..because i ordered in the early days....maybe things are different now.

Well guys, if you have Lifeforce near you, a friend in your town or nearby town...i ensure you that a visit to listen is something that you will thank me to suggest.

I am silent for long time about Hugh amplifiers...and he asked me to shut my mouth, as he was in troubles to face the orders he was receiving...he was afraid that could increase when people start to talk....and i will shut my mouth again...because he will send me a mail once more to do that.

Erect was beautifull Epupa...ahahahah!.....well, in our age we may have some problems to find erected resistors .....not common anymore.

regards,

Carlos

Quaksa (or Quasi meets AKSA)

I was lucky enough to receive a personal audition of the Lifeforce last Sunday night, not to mention an outstanding dinner. A perfect evening with good food, good wine, good company and of course music and broad discussions about almost everything (including amplifiers).

Well folks the clarity of electronics in question is remarkable and a credit to Mr Dean. Audio enthusiasts would do well to consider Hugh's ideas and discover the Lifeforce for themselves. We listened to a range of music styles all effortlessly delivered. The quality of the PCB's and components are also first grade.

Indeed the only thing better than the audition was his wife's cooking (sorry Hugh but my stomach comes first).

A piccy of Quasi and AKSA about to enjoy the first course.

Cheers
Q

Attachments

• aksa & quasi.jpg
    aksa & quasi.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,750
Bello,

i'm thinking of setting up a bald audio forum, everyone here has more hair than me.

You Aussies have it all: trendy food, audio, Holden Special Vehicles, bauxite, way too much sun,.. and way too much hair.
And what about us poor blokes overhere ?
Rain, Philips, horrible food, no hair,... and Spyker cars so ugly that make you puke.

Yassou, J.

Attachments

• scaryharry.jpg
    scaryharry.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,836
Jacco,

At our age, you have learned that nothing is ever quite what it seems, particularly in Asia, and even in Oz.

GM Holden has just laid off 600 workers from their Adelaide plant, and there is presently talk that in five years we will lose at least one of the four big manufacturers, Ford, GM, Toyota and Mitisubishi. The auto market here is shrinking as we enter a period of higher interest rates and more economic uncertainty. :dead:

My hair is now very, very thin on top, although there is not yet much grey. I think it is sinking into my brain, making my logic a little hairy......:bawling:

The weather here today is very overcast, no sun, some rain, only 22C. It's raining heavily in Sydney and Brisbane, I understand.

In all this malaise there are still some constants. David is extremely well mannered and intellectually curious, you still love beer, I still love Asian food, my wife Sri remains an outstanding cook and good wife, and both Quasi's and my amplifiers sound simply incredible...... :clown:

Ciao,

Hugh

AKSA said:
David is extremely well mannered and intellectually curious

Agreed.

Mr Dean,
the 7 year economic time frame cycle remains a pillar to rely on in a world with continued decreasing structural rigidity. The one who's still surfing the crest of the wave, yet anticipated where it will break and hit rock bottom, can spare a moment of self-ridicule. The automobile gents time after time believe they're able to navigate around a ground rule of the monetary game. Both amusing and surprising each time of occurence, but yet another colomn to rely on in a volatile world.

No greater pleasure than a distastefully looking car being flogged to distatefull capital wasters. The Spyker company is stock exchange listed, making a profit and entering F1. Heaven forbid the event that the niche society with no finesse would be behind the steering wheel of a Lagonda.
Cretins may rule, no grounds for them to set the etiquette.
Winter has been exceptionally bright and sunny overhere, no snow at all and temperatures are 10C higher than supposed to be.

Coke C and lime is healthier than beer. My genes have Hugo's heritage, on beer i'd be back at 30 to 35 pints on a Dionysis day. I've even gone back from a pound of home made sambal badjak a week that has been killing my insides for plus 20 years to a very modest level.
Last time i lifted the back of a car was 3 years ago to impress the kids.
At our age, i figured that time is long overdue to use a mind for self-preservation also.

Mr Quacky's and your face express content, looking into a pair of warm eyes continues to animate the sentiment. Rare ocassions, regrettably.

You're handsome Jacco....not needed to keep your face hidden

The hair is perfect.... digital cameras cannot show defects on there.

Lime Coke....wonderfull...i love it.

To lift car back...i use to do that laughing...very easy to me, my weigth is 185 Kg.....and muscles and bones are 120 Kg....the rest is absolute fat.

Good to see people happy here....Quasi is showing a nice smile, and Hugh is so nice to me that i can see him always positive.

He is a gentleman.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.