AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry about the long posts :D

i hope those posts will help a little bit and i think that the main product for Hugh Dean should really be Lifeforce because it is a monster quality amplifier .... unfortunatelly it is not available as kit - probably because a lot of accusations about this and that he received during last years...I don't want to comment any of them ....the guy is only making good amps and trying to earn hard some money....so there will be guys that would be willing to pay that money and be happy and guys thsat will allways have something to add and the last ones will probably never listen to any of his products (my assumption)...
regards

sparkle said:
Also now I have Lifeforce - smaller version.... and i am extremely happy with it so i wrote this for
===================================
Lifeforce
===================================
O.k. my fellow friends – it is me again with the new tribute related Aspen Amplifiers....

thanks for these informations/opinions
sparkle

Glad, really glad :)
to see you here again
I was sad,
when destroyer X told you probably would be away for a while.

I think Hugh 'AKSA' Dean will be :) as well ........... ;)

Regards to sparkle, a good chap
lineup

As we have got already one
Positive post about AKSA Lifeforce
it might be good to get some facts.

1 picture tells more than 1000 words.

So here is an image from the Lifeforce 55, pcb board, with components

LF55-4S.jpg

It all looks very nice and tidy to me.
Like taken from a schoolbook of amplifiers.

If I could create something like that, I would be very happy.
But I am afraid in reality my circuits do not always look like this.
If you do not believe me,
go and have a look at the Really Ugly Stuff:
diyAudio: UGLY Looking Amp! - but good working

Regards
lineup
Lineup Audio Products
http://lineup.awardspace.com/

There are more forum guys with Lifeforce

And this one is already inside an enclosure in my daugther's appartment.

The unit is producing a sweet wonderfull sound during weekend parties there.

This one was fixed using the heatsinks....as you can see, there are multiple creative ways to fix things.

Of course school book shows to fix with screws....well...they imagine that people will develop themselves to create new ideas.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• the life force half made.jpg
    the life force half made.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 956
andy_c said:
Maybe there should be a "shill forum" for posts such as these?

i am sorry Mr. Andy that you think that i am doing that for Hugh Dean for some non-ethic reasons... i feel offended....
i don't give a coin what You think about my opinion or those amplifiers - i felt the need to write that for/to Hugh Dean and I did - this is my opinion as a happy diy builder and user ...
i made a lot of amplifiers, preamplifiers and few dac's and i have decided to leave Lifeforce in my system to work with my tube preamplifier based arround 12B4 with my dac - simply because i love the sound of it, not because i feel in debt to Mr. Dean.....

i will consider this reply as final and will not reply on any of yours or other mails that are pointed in questioning my opinion.... i live in democracy and have the right to express it - if you don't like it you have the right to tell it but not to offend because i certainly feel that way right now.....

sparkle said:

i am sorry Mr. Andy that you think that i am doing that for Hugh Dean for some non-ethic reasons
... i feel offended....

i don't give a coin what You think about my opinion or those amplifiers - i felt the need to write that for/to Hugh Dean and I did

- this is my opinion as a happy diy builder and user ...

Your posting here, sparkle,
is your opinion as a happy diy builder and user

Have no fear, sparkle
Moderators here, have seen 100s, if not 1000s of posts like yours
- praising the quality and sound of other amplifiers

I could easily make a long list of such amplifiers:
... by excellent/good designers like Pass, John Linsley-Hood, Leach and amplifierguru
... it is enough to browse Solid State, Tubes and Pass forums
to realize this.

If it is okay in one case - it can not be bad in another.
Otherwise we have a twisted forum.

But the board personal are doing quite a good job.
It is not always easy to see what is improper promotion/advertising
and
pure delighted builder's comments and reports.

Your posts
are well in line, with diyaudio slogan:
diyAudio
Projects by the fanatics, for the fanatics

Also The Sun has got its Dark Spots, and no amplifier is perfect in all aspects.
If anyone has got some more info - even if is not 100% positive - or even negative,
about AKSA Amplifiers, they are of course welcome as well.
All info is good to guide our members - before they decide new projects to build.

Regards
lineup, January 2007

pmkap said:
Well, I re-read my previous post, and I realized I didn't convey much real information.
I'll attempt to be more specific in a subjective sort of a way.....

I very much like a jazz album by 'The Bad Plus' called 'These are the Vistas'.
But until the Aksa, I wasn't particularly fond of the first cut, 'Big Eater'. It started out nice enough, but rapidly devolved to a confused mess, which I simply couldn't follow, and I'd inevitably skip forward.

That is, until the Aksa 100 N+. Via the Aksa, I could now follow and admire the interplay between the musicians, and what I'd previously thought a confused mess, turns out to be a rather interesting interplay between some very skilled musicians. This is also a characteristic of some tube amps, specifically some SE implementations. But my speakers, Alon IVs, simply required too much power for an economical SE, (or PP for that matter) tube amp.

Subjectively put, the Aksa communicates,
while still providing those benefits of ss, low power consumption, bass drive and control......

I do wish Hugh would produce a 300+ wpc amp with all the musical qualities of his current offerings.

pmkap:
I do wish Hugh would produce a 300+ wpc amp
with all the musical qualities of his current offerings.

Personally. I have not such loudspeakers and rooms
that would need 300 Watt - not even 100 Watts.
One of my favourite builds of my own, is
one Class A amp with a 2x12 V AC transformer
It wont give out more than 4-5 Watts.
But these few watts are Pure Class A - Nelson Pass style Watts ( www.firstwatt.com )

------------------------------

Evenso, It would be interesting to know
if AKSA have any plans for some higher wattage amplifier.
There are some loudspeakers around, that demands a lot of currents.

What type of of music someone likes and
at what levels such music will perform to be at its best
can also matter.
.... a hard-rocker playing hard rock ... at whispering levels :D :D
.... is one bad excuse for a really rocking guy or gal

lineup

Upupa Epops,

The pcb's are actually 'clamped' to the underside of the heatsink ledge via the screws through the output transistors. It's very solid. Any corner mounting would need to be very precise so as not to put undue stress on the board as there is no flex at the pins - they do not support anything. Regardless, corner mounts would be overkill.

Well, my AKSA 55N+ has been here and enjoyed for almost 3 years and nothing I have built since has dethroned it.

For what I've spent on other amps since, I could have bought a few AKSA's so to me the AKSA kit is good value as it's a stayer. No amp is perfect and that includes the AKSA 55, but I can easlily live with it's limitations due to it's music making ability.

BTW, the boards are located very securely on the heatsink and is an elegant simple mounting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.