AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

Not to toss gasoline on the fire but 16 bits accuracy with SMT resistors is wishful thinking. The 24 bit stuff is utterly meaningless. I have 2 24 bit equivalent DAC's that cost originally about $20K each and have oil bath precision wirewound resistors and probably (depending on how fast I flip switches) 5 samples per minute max. Fluke 720A Replacement - KVD-700 Precision Kelvin-Varley Voltage Divider The sample and hold necessary for 16 bit accuracy is not trivial. The distortion measured supports my lack of enthusiasm. Read page 10 of this manual on the only serious 24 bit Ladder DAC to understand how challenging 24 bit accuracy using resistors can be: http://www.lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-da924-manual.pdf .

That Lavry DAC was first introduced somewhere near 20 years ago. I can't recall whether he first designed it in the dB Technologies era, regardless it was an amazing design effort.
I believe Dan cut his teeth on design of Medical / Imaging AD's and DAC's so you can see where the foundations of such a design came from.

From what I've seen, Holo Springs does measure slightly lower distortion and better DR so it would be a worthwhile discussion purely on technical merits
comparing the two architectures only we don't have the finer details on how Holo 'tune' their bits. The Holo also does not use a S+H OP to address glitch
energy AFAIK.

TCD

Skipping the S&H and letting the glitch energy through is pretty questionable. You can't filter out a glitch that is different with every sample. Maybe that's what people like?

Maybe... but how do you reliably identify and measure that glitch energy. Below is link to the ASR measurements of Holo May. Possibly an FFT out
to 80 / 100kHz might have shown something. For the 1kHz tone, harmonics start to increase after about 17k or so but we are talking -130 in the audio
band. Any ideas? Is the glitch energy being averaged out by FFT...

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

TCD

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Glitch noise. it would be an artifact of the number of switches that change at the sample.

Having thought about this for a while it hit me that switching between a few codes (steps) at pretty low level but will switch a lot of bits might make this easy. If the signal switched between two steps at say Fs/4 then a simple notch will show the glitch noise, but it would look like a harmonic. Add a few more low level steps or maybe band limited noise that is then filtered out the residual would be glitch noise I suspect.

I suspect that it would generate a sort of modulation that would have audio frequencies on it. Those low frequencies will be audible I think, not to mention all the IM issues to be addressed. An interesting experiment that I'm not sure how to construct.

AK4499 will probably never be available again. Since the AKM plant fire, AKM has declared AK4499 to be of EOL (End of Life) status.
This is obviously the reason, why several DAC models equipped with this AKM DAC-IC like those under
Topping D90 - Best measuring DAC, $699 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums
and
GUSTARD DAC-A22 (AKI's AK4499EQ AK4499 AK 4499EQ 4499 in use) - who have heard ?
are no longer to find in new condition.
Which not hard to find models with this AKM DAC are available in used condition ?
Thanks for an advice.
P.S.: What about this offer ?
GUSTARD DAC-A22 Native Balanced Decoder DAC Dual AK4499 Bluetooth5.0 Without USB | eBay
the same model from the same supplier here no longer available:
GUSTARD DAC-A22 DAC Dual AK4499 XMOS-Losung Native Bala

Last edited:
If you come from Germany, why don't you buy the A22 locally? I've been buying from the dealer for years.
Fully equipped with Bluetooth, USB and MQA and without customs duties.
Gustard A22
or GUSTARD A22 (2x AK4499) DSD DAC DIGITAL ANALOG CONV. USB DA WANDLER-HIGHEND - SCHWARZ - BLACK - CLEAR Components - Hifi & Highend Zubehor zum TOP Preis!

Best AKM dac chip also exists in best AKM DAP (ibasso DX300 Max) which also have dedicated balanced line output for desktop systems...

Also, by using a DAP it avoid all problems with interactions from storage, to computer OS & software player, to transmission issues of USB/coax, or with interconnect cables and input interface add-on boxes. All gone and out of the way for a better solution regardless of a Dap's inherent space limitation designs which were cried about before in oder to try dismiss the mountain of benifits just listed, with the addition of portability.

While it's true many Daps small space give some Compromise and so not at level of desktop, the ibasso DX300 Max is definitely there and were a threat to future of desktop dacs wich carry a rediculous price, but with AKM chip gone there is a gap in this "crossing" of the platforms (with "transportable" classification types, not the portable types).
Yet we don't know what AKM has in future.
They definitely have future potential as it will be realized their dac chip was the best.

Last edited:
On the one hand, it should take some time until 2022 for the burned down plant to be rebuilt.
On the other hand, there is the question of how much of your development and production data from the chips fell victim to the fire.
AKM itself writes on the page "AK4498EQ, AK4499EQ: The redevelopment plan of Flagship DAC products will be available soon.", But it has also been for over half a year.

Hey Guys, even though I am a member of DIY Audio for a long time, it is my first posting.
I have a SMSL M400. It is great and I am using it often with Tidal streaming.

While I am happy with it, I also like my other DAC (Audio Gd Master 7 2021 version, which is a R2R DAC).

Last month I started to modify my SMSL M400 (which was only 1 month old).

I was able to find the i2S signal inside the M400. I routed it out, converted it into HDMI format, and feed it into my Audio Gd Master 7...or any other non MQA licensed DAC.
Now my Audio GD DAC is able play MQA music from Tidal. The SMSL is the front, receiving signal from my laptop via USB, then the i2S signal is feeding into a HDMI converter board, then into my Audio Gd Master 7....sound great.
I did the same mod to my SMSL SU-9.

The display on the Master 7 confirmed the signal is now higher sampling rate (when MQA file is being played), matching what it is on the display of SMSL M400.
Now I can enjoy MQA music with whatever DAC I like.

Bean

Yes, I know many people really get turned off by MQA. I am trying to avoid argument about it.
When I was listening to Tidal streaming, I personally prefer the music title with MQA version if there is MQA version available.

What I was trying to post is that if someone who like to use other DAC which is non MQA licensed to play MQA streaming, there is a way...it is to buy a cheap MQA streamer like Bluesound Node 2 or SMSL SU-9, then feed the decoded i2S signal to the DAC that you like.
If anyone who is interested to know where to get the i2S signal from SMSL SU-9 or M400, I am happy to let then know how to do the modification.
Then You can then bring other non MQA ready DAC to play MQA streaming.
Cheers
Bean

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I recently purchased yet another DAC, this one supporting MQA because I have Tidal and want to fully unfold the encoded files. I was pretty sure MQA sucked based on all of the noise on the internet so I had zero to negative expectations, partially unfolded in Roon I didn't think they always sounded quite right in some cases either. Fully decoded I don't have any reservations about what I am hearing.

I have a very small number of recordings from 2L in both DXD format and MQA, and I guess I am as deaf as an old coot because I really don't reliably hear a difference between them even when I know which one I am listening to. Anything I think I hear is too subtle to be sure about.

I figure they're here, not going away and I want to hear them fully decoded.

I only started streaming 3 months ago, so my experience is still limited.
I have SMSL M400, SMSL Su-9 and Bluesound Node2. They all sound decent, but M400 sounds the best.

when I play music titles with MQA on, the sound level goes up, so it is hard to do (MQA on or off) A/B comparison. After adjusting the level being the same, and some careful listening, I found those MQA titles has slightly more sparkle. I am not sure it is a "fake"or EQed music, but I don't really mind it.
I know many people have debated about MQA or not MQA. I am trying to avoid that argument. I am just treating it as a gadget and have a bit of fun playing with it and play it via my favorite DAC that is without the MQA license.

I know other streaming platform also can deliver HD music, can anyone let me know whether these platforms like Amazon, can they provide higher than CD quality (without using MQA)?

Thanks
Bean