AK4499 DAC Design

Its diy board but I think I just figured out the issue, I was writing the register value in the arduino software as binary but it needs hex.
Weird that it could cause such a problem vs just not work at all.

Working okay now?

The Arduino program I use reads back the data after its written then displays it in Decimal, HEX, and Binary. Makes it convenient to confirm what was written. I think that stuff is in the code that I shared before.

Last edited:
Seems to be.

Your software does this automatically or you programmed that?
My sketch is about as basic as it could be right now, couple lines to write the values in first register for input format and disabling reset state (which somehow worked with the broken binary register value) and set volume registers.

Your software does this automatically or you programmed that?

The latter. Display in different formats is easy, there are formatted print options in the Arduino language.

Originally the program only accepted decimal input through the Serial Monitor port, a recent upgrade allows it to accept hex input too. Also added some options to preset all the registers in a device, with support for multiple devices. That stuff had to be coded.

Was it not Deemphasis mode accidentally turned on?
That happened to me once, and the behaviour was exactly like that, severe high freq limiting..
(registers 01H, 0AH)

Its diy board but I think I just figured out the issue, I was writing the register value in the arduino software as binary but it needs hex.
Weird that it could cause such a problem vs just not work at all.

I have a lot learn with the arduino, I was just hasty to actually test if the DAC worked, the plan was to use it in pin control to begin but the PSN pin was accidentally connected low.

Deemphasis must've been the cause , my binary value of 00000001 when it expected hex gives a binary value of 00000000000000000000000000000001 , that 1 looks like its probably the deemphasis bit.

Finally my DAC AK4499 runs :).

Attachments

• image_46632.jpg
    image_46632.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 616
A18 or d90? Help me decide which one to buy please.

Has anyone here compared the topping d90 with the gustard a18?

Which did you prefer?

Why?

-i read that they have different treble responses. Can anyone please explain the differences to me?

I am going to buy one or the other and they both cost a fortune for me, so I only get one chance to pick the right one.

Thanks alot,

Philip

Just from reading some reviews I sort of get the impression that the Gustard is a bit smoother to some people, but maybe bit more blurred to other people (maybe a little blur can seem smooth sometimes). It may also depend on the rest of the reproduction system it is used with. By comparison the Topping might be a little more exact sounding.

The problem with Topping D90 to the extent there is one seems to be with quality of vocal sounds and higher frequencies like cymbals. They can sound slightly grainy. High quality upsampling to DSD256 or DSD512 is what some users report preferring a lot over native 16/44 CD audio. I would agree.

Also, IME those Accusilicon clocks all the Chinese AK4499 dacs seem to be using take three days of constant power-on before they smooth out about as much as they are going to.

Last edited:
I had the same dilemma, and I couldn't find many opinions on the Web. I finally bought the Gustard A18 based on cost alone: $150 less is not exactly peanuts.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the outcome: I used to be a strictly vinyl & tube guy, listening to digital stuff only when I'm on the go, driving or travelling. Now I'm less sure: the A18 straight into my power amp is as enjoyable as my Denon 103/Linn LP12, while sounding very different: more resolution on the digital side, more dimensionality (3D) on the analog side. And that's after a week's break-in.

I still think the analog side can be a bit better, and the bottle neck is my venerable Dynaco PAS-3x in spite of all the mods it's got along the way; I need to finish my new preamp to know for sure.

John Curl once said the 103 is not good enough to beat the top digital stuff. I do have a Dynavector Karat Diamond I'll try after the new preamp is finished, even though I think those multi-kilo-bucks cartridges are surrealistic.