• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

Sound of modified gain modules

I have written with Joseph K yesterday. This nice gentleman has been modifying the gain-modules and has also listen to it. And i think he is going to pst some pictures of a modified module and share his listening impression with us....

Sound of MIRAND A1 V1.2 compared to the TSSA V1.8
Supernet asked me about how it sounds compared to the TSSA V1.8..

Here it comes.

Basic sound of TSSA V1.8(Maybe Vgeorge and and Dominic has extra comments to it):

This are comments made from Vgeorge, Salas and Dominic.

The listening impression below is taken from Salas, Vgeorge, Migo, Dominic, and Buzzforb to name a few on the DIYAudio forum.

“Listened to the amp some this morning. It has a very articulate and crisp sound to it. nice airy cymbals and good snap with the drums. I think you can tell it is a very fast, high bandwidth amp.”

“Wow! It gave such a resolution uplift in complete tone smoothness, musicality, and dynamic poise, a gift to our Riaa preamps careful comparison intentions. Much auditioning followed to grasp the new level of subjective parameters till late in the night.”

“Also Sonny’ s TSSA is an excellent amp, too good to be true. If your speakers are suitable, you would be fool not to go for it, even if you prefer tubes.”

The TSSA V1.8 is very forgiven when driven to hard as it does not distort it is more a lack of focus that is an indicator of the amp being driven to hard.

Now the amp has a little focus on the bass and lower mid-range, and that on the cost of details in upper mid-range/ treble . and the Bass could use more precision.

The MIRAND A1 V1.2 has the precision in the BASS and more air/details in the upper mid-range/treble. So you can start to hear the Bass guitar notes very clearly and the fingers from the BASS guitar player touching the strings. Takes even more details out of the TALK TALK "Eden" album or Pink Floyds sound tracks. Small details you cannot hear with the TSSA V1.8 stands out clearly without listen fatigue. The Stereo image is very wide and detailed as well.

Yes, I had tried quickly the modification suggested by Sonny.
The quick part was doing it; listening / evaluating is still in progress. There is always that shrieking sound of fresh solder on the boards (rigorously un-scientific observation ��)

I would repeat here
- the guide printed by Sonny;
- the original board with only the parts removed; (except Q5..)
- the final assembly.

Y = 620 ohm; .1% susumu RG 0603;

W = 22pF COG 0603

Attachments

• 9F321EDD-C0E8-46D0-9A87-C53EF9454DD3.jpeg
    9F321EDD-C0E8-46D0-9A87-C53EF9454DD3.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 408
  • 20180825_115153.jpg
    20180825_115153.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 409
  • 20180826_170732.jpg
    20180826_170732.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
The sound: obviously, attention, subjective opinion coming! And first impression. Also the system is settling.

In the original version I have always very much appreciated a beautiful, refined, full, natural sound, with a hint of a romantic 'halo' around. A tube like sound. With a slight, beneficial veil, probably.. a slight middle-range emphasis.

Now it had changed. The new version opened up, bass is more impactful, contrast augmented, projects a bigger, wider and deeper soundstage, more precise sound but with a warm tone; gives the feeling of more dynamics..
Very entertaining; spectacular.
There is more agressivity in the highs - - now it still to be understood what part of it is still due to burn- in (not existent..) or more transparency revealing nasties hidden before (happens all time to me)...

Ciao, George

The sound: obviously, attention, subjective opinion coming! And first impression. Also the system is settling.

In the original version I have always very much appreciated a beautiful, refined, full, natural sound, with a hint of a romantic 'halo' around. A tube like sound. With a slight, beneficial veil, probably.. a slight middle-range emphasis.

Now it had changed. The new version opened up, bass is more impactful, contrast augmented, projects a bigger, wider and deeper soundstage, more precise sound but with a warm tone; gives the feeling of more dynamics..
Very entertaining; spectacular.
There is more agressivity in the highs - - now it still to be understood what part of it is still due to burn- in (not existent..) or more transparency revealing nasties hidden before (happens all time to me)...

Ciao, George

What happen with the changes was the removal of a bootstrap circuit supposed to give high open loop gain...... So the changed made the circuit simpler but also open loop gain smaller. This was compensated by the lower current in the VAS stage.

BR

Sonny

Sonny, thanks for the comparison. How does MIRAND A1 V1.2 compare to TSSA V2 or V4 both sonically and driving low impedance speakers?

Hi Ravid.

Sonically the TSSA V2/V4 is not better as good as the MIRAND A1 V1.2... The TSSA V2 has a higher voltage ... But in the the TSSA V2 is identical to the TSSA V1.8 with the benefit of an high voltage an more power.

The TSSA V4 will be better driving low impedance because of the extra transistors.

If the MIRAND A1 V1.2 is a success or continue to get the attention it has we will make a version for higher voltage. So in that case it will surpass the TSSA V4 and be in the category 180Watt into 8 Ohm.

It is not an easy task though because of the need for more cooling obviously because of the same current but up to 13V more voltage... 25% more power to dissipate in the transistors.

MIRAND A1 V1.2 dimension drawing

I have attached the dimension drawing. Installation guide is in the working.

It is very easy to work with.

Tools needed for installation:

[*] 2.5mm drill for 3mm screws
[*] 3mm std tap for aluminium.
[*] The spacer will with 1mm countersunk because the last 1mm on the spacers have no thread.

A video of tapping from Bosch:

YouTube

Attachments

• MIRAND A1 V12 dimensions.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Got the new 1.2 jeres tonight, and it is really Better then my V4 - its a bit more warm in Sound, the bas is tighter, and the perspektive is huge. I opower it with 44v from a 1000w toroidal transformer, and a cap bank at 240.000uf...... I have only listen to it, in a few hours and it just getting better and better.
Cheers

Best amp

Hi

I had the new amp for a couple of days now, and it just play better and better. It is really dynamic, there is just so much dynamic in the music at low volume and high volume. And still it just play in such calm. I’m sure the current feedback is the new upcoming, and Sonny has managed the technology to the top. I think it is one of Sonny’s best design :)

Anders

Hi

I had the new amp for a couple of days now, and it just play better and better. It is really dynamic, there is just so much dynamic in the music at low volume and high volume. And still it just play in such calm. I’m sure the current feedback is the new upcoming, and Sonny has managed the technology to the top. I think it is one of Sonny’s best design :)

Anders
Thanks for sharing :) Would you say that the sound profile is closer to tube than to bipolar solid state amps? I heard an integrated Hitachi mosfet amp 35 years ago and liked the sound. My friend later got an Audiolab 8000A that was more analytic and dry sounding. Not my cup of tea.

Thanks for sharing :) Would you say that the sound profile is closer to tube than to bipolar solid state amps? I heard an integrated Hitachi mosfet amp 35 years ago and liked the sound. My friend later got an Audiolab 8000A that was more analytic and dry sounding. Not my cup of tea.

I would not say it’s as a tube sound, because of the tight bas. it’s very detailed in the same time it has a high musicality. So maybe I would say it’s a combo of a tube and a class d. But of course it also depends of the rest of the system how it will perform for you.