• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!

I've never heard of cathode stripping in pass tubes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. It's definitely a phenomenon in high voltage transmitting tubes though, which is one of several reasons broadcast transmitters employ a substantial filament heating period when beginning from a cold start. I discarded the idea of cathode stripping in regular audio amps 20 years ago when I acquired a 1930's Zeniith tombstone radio with its original 6L6G outputs intact. Today they're 80+ years old and still going strong.

As a novice builder I did get swept up (briefly) in a similar phenomenon - babying tube heaters. 18 or so years ago I built two amps from scratch using schematics from a popular magazine. Both used a three switch scheme that placed power resistors in series with the heaters. The idea was that you'd "preheat" the heaters when the first switch was thrown. The second switch shorted out the "preheat" resistor, then when all the tubes were a' glowin' you'd apply the B+ with the third. It was all pretty Rube Goldberg-esque and completely unnecessary of course, but it did sell magazines and get me infecte- er, started in this hobby.

Parenthetically, the first amp (a hoary old PP 6V6 Hafler/Dynaco circuit) sounded stunning, probably because of the old Heathkit iron I'd scavenged for the outputs. The second, however, was a SE 6550 job that was an utter turd on toast. Not wanting to hold my nose and nibble around the edges, I parted it out and didn't build another SE amp for 15 years. To this day it remains the only full-up build I've ever dismantled.

Today I just throw a CL-60/90/140 in between the fuse and the transformer primary and call it good. I'm too old to be looking for monsters under my bed, much less be afraid of them.

Last edited:
Hello here today.

The warm up time of a 45 or 300B is still faster than a 5U4 since there is more thermal mass in the 5U4's filament. There are possibly some 2A3's out there that are slow, but this is not generally a problem.

Slowly turning up the input voltage on a Variac allows all supplies to come up at roughly the same time. The TSE and TSE-II use a tube rectifier for B+ and a solid state rectifier for B- to insure that excess negative bias is there BEFORE the output tubes are warm so that they are cutoff during the first few seconds of conduction. The B- stays pretty far negative until the B+ comes up and starts pulling the grid bias more positive.

Really nice explanation thanks... :)
This is also what happens when i power mine up, B- is there right up, making perfect sense now that i fully understand it.

Today I just throw a CL-60/90/140 in between the fuse and the transformer primary and call it good. I'm too old to be looking for monsters under my bed, much less be afraid of them.

That's what i have now (STM CL-60 + 800mA fuse ~230vac)... Now i will use 5 minutes for cleaning under my bed for thoose monsters :eek::cool::D... Thanks all

Rgds; Jesper.

Unfortunately I will not be able to proceed with this build so I will be selling my PCB for what I paid for it if someone is interested in it. The board has never been touched.

48.00 shipped CONUS only.

Attachments

• 93DE19B5-7C6F-4A0B-93E9-1AA722E6A8AA.jpg
    93DE19B5-7C6F-4A0B-93E9-1AA722E6A8AA.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 457
What have you guys used for 4 pin sockets? I haven't found any that are pc mount. Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be to not use PC mount. But get normal ones. Fit the normal ones to the chassis plate and wire it to to the pcb with wires. I just hate the idea (despite many that have never had a problem with it) to push and pull something soldered to a pcb.

Here is one that should help you get started.
You'll have to adjust the holes for the transformers, and the PCB standoffs if you dont want to use the ones I did.
This one also has holes for mounting the 4-pin tube sockets to the chassis.

Attachments

• TSE-II TOP PLATE.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    109.1 KB · Views: 429
What PCB standoffs did you use?

I used these M4, 16mm length as they matched the height of the 4-pin socket tabs.

The attached picture corresponds to the holes around the PCB in the FPD layout. The red marks are where I used standoffs, green are the holes for the pot adjustment, and blue is where I secured the 4-pin socket tabs.

If your 4-pin socket dont have mounts for screws, then I would also use the 2 standoffs right above them

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 394