Advice need for modernizing speakers in a mid century record player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m contemplating replacing the switches in the back of the cabinet and turning them into power switches for the amp and a light i plan on adding. Any thoughts on approach?

The only concerns I have at the moment:
1) the box is small and metal
2) can I find replacement switches

Attachments

• 33493F61-D00C-4387-817E-F55531FD509E.jpg
    33493F61-D00C-4387-817E-F55531FD509E.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 51
  • A04A4246-B7CA-4444-ABBE-3D74773FBCC8.jpg
    A04A4246-B7CA-4444-ABBE-3D74773FBCC8.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 50
I'd not trust them with mains for sure, but driving a relay arrangement could work. Probably more of a pain than getting a nice all-in-one filter/switch/fuse/socket "power module".

Also, while you have the internals cracked open, get a few braces across the inside of the speaker cabinets to stiffen them up a bunch. They don't need to be necessarily pretty, but anything is going to help.

I'd not trust them with mains for sure, but driving a relay arrangement could work. Probably more of a pain than getting a nice all-in-one filter/switch/fuse/socket "power module".

Also, while you have the internals cracked open, get a few braces across the inside of the speaker cabinets to stiffen them up a bunch. They don't need to be necessarily pretty, but anything is going to help.

Thanks for the input! I’ve been Leary of using the box for the main power, but thought it might be a nice touch if there was an easy and safe way to do it. If I can’t find a way, I’ll add a power module to the back.

I had planned on adding some bracing. I was going to add 2 or 3 supports between the sides. Do you think this would be sufficient?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.