Advice need for modernizing speakers in a mid century record player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I actually liked this approach a lot! Unfortunately, I made the mistake of connecting the current speakers to an amp I made and let my wife listen to it. She started talking about how the sounds of the speakers remind her of her childhood and insists we keep them.

In all honesty, I agree that they sounded pretty amazing outside of not having enough base for my liking. I think the plan is going to be to keep the original speakers and explore installing a sub and 2.1 amp.

As I mentioned previously, you're going to experience "feedback issues" if you add a sub in that cabinet.
If anything, a sub, seperately, detached from the cabinet would be more sensible.
But if restored properly, the original amp with those oval woofers would produce plenty of bass.
Been there, done that.

That Zenith console is one of their "upper tier" models, and once properly restored (and I've done many of them for customers) they sound great, without putzing up the original design.

Attempting to "upgrade" things such as a higher power amp, or different speakers, will only upset the sonic signature that was designed into that cabinet.
And, additionally, the record changer will not be able to handle anything over a lower listening level without succumbing to feedback issues created by intense vibrations due to higher power amplification.

Because THEN, you'll need to build in additional isolation for the changer, and design a Sallen-Key filter network to add to the phono section of the amplifier.

Changing things as I mentioned will open up a whole new can of worms, this I know from experience.

Thank you for the advice! I'm not as concerned about the record changer as we do not plan on keeping it. My wife wanted me to make it suit our life and function to it, rather than restoring it to its original state (I know many will judge us for this decision)

That being said, I don't plan on putting an overly powerful amp in it. I just want something more compact so that we can re-purpose the space where the turntable and receiver were.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
In its day that turntable would have been better than average and therefore might be worth having restored; even tho you say it isn't your cup of tea there is a resurgence of interest in real vinyl.

If not keeping the turntable then subwoofer vibration is a non-issue and I would make a new solid plinth and use a down-firing sub

Philosophy. Do not spend big money on Mediocre Components or a Mediocre Design with limited potential.
END Goal: Musical Magic from genius diyAudio designs. (like $650parts BMF clone)
---------
---------
I would not change the speakers. I would only screw in a ported rear panel with some absorption material(fiber glass, wool, old blue-jeans). I would add simple 1" wood horizontal and vertical braces.

I would remove the record player + DEAD old receiver, and replace it with a modest cost HT receiver (2.1 with USB & Bluetooth) OR a stereo receiver which accepts a USB and BlueTooth input for digital play back. Check Craig's List and ebay. Use the extra space in the difficult to reach lower center compartment for storing seldom used CDs, LRs, DVDs, sex toys.

-----example $100 stereo receiver----
"The Yamaha R-S202BL boasts an advanced circuitry design, 40-Station FM/AM preset tuning, 100-watt-per-channel output and Bluetooth compatibility, so you can stream music from your smartphone or other connected device. The 17-1/8 x 5-½-inch device weighs a light 14.8 pounds.There are analog inputs for a CD player or a Laptop with audio output( = headphone output)

YAMAHA R-S202 2-Ch x 100 Watts Natural Sound Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less
--------example $90 stereo receiver
Plye audio has a few $80 -$100 receivers with USB + Bluetooth inputs. You can add a sub woofer in the center volume.

Wireless Bluetooth Audio Power Amplifier - 300W 4 Channel Home Theater Sound Compact Stereo Receiver w/ USB, AM FM, 2 Mic IN w/ Echo, RCA, LED, Speaker Selector - For Studio, Home Use - Pyle PT272AUBT
-----------
Philosophy. Do not spend big money on Mediocre Components or a Mediocre Design with limited potential.
-----------

-----------
END Goal: Musical Magic from genius diyAudio designs.
----------
If your father has a good woodshop, build your family a stereo pair of musical magic for NEXT Christmas. You can move the Zenith into the bedroom... maybe hinge the center-front panels to create clothing storage space... or space for sex toys.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
For the vintage 1963 RCA Victor console I have, I chose a mix of Original and newer components.

Original RCA / custom modded AM/FM Stereo tuner (11 tubes)

Original RCA /custom modded 7 tube amp chassis.

Different record changer (Garrard Custom 3000 w/Pickering cartridge, synchronous motor)

Custom designed RIAA preamp for above with Sallen-Key filter (to prevent feedback @ high volume)

Different speakers (2-12 inch high compliance/2-Kenwood 3 inch midrange/ 2-1 inch rear mounted tweeters)

3/4 inch internal pine lining of complete cabinet with bracing and bass rear ports, including polyfill stuffing in speaker chambers. (to eliminate any cabinet resonances)

Custom re-doing of interior for above components.

I call it "The RCA Victor Custom Concertmaster Deluxe"
And it was a LOT of work, but blessed be, it sounds fantastic.

A video: YouTube
(turn up your volume)

I hadn't thought about adding a subwoofer. Do you have one you would recommend? Also are there any 2.1 class d amps you recommend? My initial plan was to use a couple Sanwu amps I had on hand.

I had a similar, and in some ways opposite situation.

My wife’s aunt had her mother’s ancient Motorola 78rpm record changer with an AM radio. None of the electronics worked. She used it as a TV stand. We turned into part of a small home theater in her bedroom.

I removed all the guts and donated them to a friend who restores vintage radios.

The 12” full range alnico speaker was replaced with a 12” subwoofer driver that dropped right in.

It’s powered by one of these Dayton Audio 2.1 amps. Just sitting on top under the TV.
Dayton Audio DTA-2.1BT 100W Class D 2.1 Amplifier with Bluetooth and Power Supply

I have one of these 2.1 boards ready to install to give it a more finished look.
TPS3116D2 Class D 2.1 Bluetooth 4.0 Amplifier Board 2 x 50W + 100W with Filter and Volume Controls

The satellites speakers are well mounted behind the TV.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
-No great speaker that I have seen has adjustable wooden louvers in-front of the drivers.
-Your Zenith cabinet can only produce "decent" sound.
-Adjust your expectations. Adjust your re-build plans. Adjust your budget.

It's a Zenith console stereo for gods sakes, not a "high end" stuffy audiophile system.
Those Zeniths thoroughly satisfied millions through the years.

The OP's wife listened to music on this particular Zenith as a child, and they have recently tested the speakers to their satisfaction with a working amp.

I'd say expectations, plans and budget are spot-on. It's good to see a console being used and not turned into a bar or a fish tank.

It's a Zenith console stereo for gods sakes, not a "high end" stuffy audiophile system.
Those Zeniths thoroughly satisfied millions through the years.

Our expectations are realistic. We don't expect some amazing audiophile experience from the console and speakers. That being said, when we hooked up an amp and played a variety songs we were rather impressed. The only complaint we had, was it lacked enough bass on certain songs. .

The way I see it, is if I can spend a couple hundred dollars on a few components and refinishing the console to match our style and give my wife a part of her childhood back and have our kids (and eventually grandkids) experience grow up listening to it, then the money i spend is well worth it.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Those vintage speakers, particularly the woofer, were designed for the amplifier in the unit.
And those amps were "low damping factor" designs, in order to give that sloppy "boom" in the bass so common to consoles.
People liked that sloppy booming.
But using a modern amp, with the higher "damping factor" they now have, will control the effective "bass" and make it sound thin.

Those vintage speakers, particularly the woofer, were designed for the amplifier in the unit.
And those amps were "low damping factor" designs, in order to give that sloppy "boom" in the bass so common to consoles.
People liked that sloppy booming.
But using a modern amp, with the higher "damping factor" they now have, will control the effective "bass" and make it sound thin.

That makes sense to me. Think my next step is to find a 2.1 amp with Bluetooth that I like and replace the caps in the crossovers as others have mentioned. Depending on how that sounds, we will leave it as is or explore adding a sub.

I took a look at the crossovers this morning. They have 5uf-30v caps on them. Any recommendations on replacement caps? I was looking at these at parts express:

Jantzen Audio 4.7uF Alumen Z-Cap 100 VDC Aluminum Foil Capacitor

Dayton Audio PMPC-4.7 4.7uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor

Dayton Audio PMPC-5.1 5.1uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor

Any thoughts on these caps? Would I see any benefits from the more expensive foil/film caps? Any other caps I should look at?

Attachments

• 0C7AC6B6-5196-4E64-B94B-37660C5B1489.jpg
    0C7AC6B6-5196-4E64-B94B-37660C5B1489.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I took a look at the crossovers this morning. They have 5uf-30v caps on them. Any recommendations on replacement caps? I was looking at these at parts express:

Dayton Audio PMPC-4.7 4.7uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor

Dayton Audio PMPC-5.1 5.1uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor

Any thoughts on these caps? Would I see any benefits from the more expensive foil/film caps? Any other caps I should look at?

If using these crossover components with the original speakers, it's insane to spend money on "high quality" brand caps and chokes, because you won't gain a thing except a thinner wallet.
You can dabble all you want, but with 50+ year old mass-produced Zenith console speakers, it's a waste.

That's a very simple crossover for a three way speaker. I've been trying to follow the wiring shown in your photo in post #1, but can't see enough of the detail. Could you make a drawing of the circuit?

If there is any chance that the existing capacitor is an NP electrolytic then I would certainly change it in case it has deteriorated, but I agree with the previous posters that an exotic replacement would be overkill.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.