Advice need for modernizing speakers in a mid century record player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
That's a very simple crossover for a three way speaker. I've been trying to follow the wiring shown in your photo in post #1, but can't see enough of the detail. Could you make a drawing of the circuit?

If there is any chance that the existing capacitor is an NP electrolytic then I would certainly change it in case it has deteriorated, but I agree with the previous posters that an exotic replacement would be overkill.

Is the horn a piezo?
If so it may not have any XO components at all
A 5uF capacitor implies that the ovoid driver is doing all the midrange

The QUEST for Musical Magic ...

Three generations of MEN in your family could bond-together building diyAudio Musical Magic speakers.

Quest 1: an 18" wide Klone of the Tweek Geeks BMF-1. $650/speaker in parts, Bi-Amp or DSP tri-amp.

Quest 2: 28" wide Big Easy uses new tech coaxial compression driver +18" woof $900/speaker in parts. Bi-Amp w/DSP option.

MANY-MINDs: Open Source "Tower XL"

The Meaning of Life is Family ....
commit your MEN to the QUEST for Musical Magic from diyAudio

PS. a network fault printed "sex toys" but omitted " like medical teaching tools 'invisible man' and 'invisible woman" :eek: :)

Attachments

• Quest 1.jpg
    Quest 1.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Quest 2.jpg
    Quest 2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 105
That looks very likely. Perhaps jmhitchcock will tell us if it has a magnet or not. I'm still puzzling over the wiring in the photo though!

I’ll go out to the garage and take some pics of the horn and crossover wiring once the kids go to bed.

Pardon my rather crude drawing of the wiring. Let me know if it helps or doesn’t make any sense at all. I also added a pic of the horns.

Attachments

• 76F4084E-A681-4ECB-B3B7-F798FA3F75C6.jpg
    76F4084E-A681-4ECB-B3B7-F798FA3F75C6.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 94
  • A962C268-78DE-4C54-8A2F-2CCD213D96C1.jpg
    A962C268-78DE-4C54-8A2F-2CCD213D96C1.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 816C045F-C8CD-44D1-9817-C524C49BAFB2.jpg
    816C045F-C8CD-44D1-9817-C524C49BAFB2.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 81
Account Closed
Joined 2018
No way is that little cone working full range, at the most those can handle the 5 watts rating with a cap in line. I am confused but I took it to be a series XO with the piezo

That small, closed-back tweeter that Zenith used, likely has a 30 to 40 ohm voice coil - I've come across them in doing console work at the shop.
Zenith had some odd setups through the years, I never could figure out some of it.
But I suppose it's to justify their marketing/advertising, - the more speakers, the better.

That small, closed-back tweeter that Zenith used, likely has a 30 to 40 ohm voice coil.
Yes wiseoldtech, it can be seen in the photo that it is a Foster 49-1094 45 ohm tweeter.

It is definitely wired in parallel with the 'woofer' and that is what had me puzzled.

Is it because of its high impedance that it is not overloaded by the bass frequencies? :confused:

I've seen similar tweeters which carry a third terminal from which a 2uF capacitor connects to the voice coil terminal in order to supply the high pass filter as shown in the attached image of the Zenith radio..

Here's a link to the refurbishment of a similar Zenith console. Note the carbon resistor which is incorporated in its crossover!

Repurposing a 70s console -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Attachments

• Tweeter Cone.jpg
    Tweeter Cone.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Foster Tweeter.jpg
    Foster Tweeter.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Zenith Radio.jpg
    Zenith Radio.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 32
Looking back at the goals stated in your first post, maybe trying to save those old and odd Zenith speakers is going to be an exercise in diminishing returns. It sounds like you’re not interested in a “full-on down to the studs restoration.” It seems to me that you have a piece of furniture that holds happy memories for your wife and also happens to make music. With a modern amp and streaming music, it’s never going to sound like it did back in the day, and I doubt you would want it to.

Why not pull out all the electronics, including the speakers and crossovers, and find someone who can use them as spare parts for a real restoration? Then, install the new amp (stereo or 2.1 if you want a subwoofer), install your chromecast device. That install could be as easy as cutting and staining a new floor for the well under the lid and just setting them inside. Then replace the speakers with some decent automotive 2-way 6x9s. If your plan includes a subwoofer, it would likely sound just fine installed in the center floor of the console... or get a car subwoofer box and screw it down in the same space.

The console will look like it did in your wife’s memory, but sound more like 21st century ears expect music to sound.

Please measure DC resistance across small cone terminals, with nothing else attached to them, and post it here.

I suspect it will read "open" , which then might indicate some small series capacitor inside the closed back bell, between it and the actual cone.

Usually those are "outside" as mentioned above, but inside placement is not impossible.

FWIW large Piezo drivers often include a complex crossover and protection system inside the back plastic envelope, besides the plain piezo element.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Please measure DC resistance across small cone terminals, with nothing else attached to them, and post it here.

I suspect it will read "open" , which then might indicate some small series capacitor inside the closed back bell, between it and the actual cone.

Usually those are "outside" as mentioned above, but inside placement is not impossible.

FWIW large Piezo drivers often include a complex crossover and protection system inside the back plastic envelope, besides the plain piezo element.

Those Zenith 49-1094 "tweeters" are just a 45 ohm speakers with a stiff cone, thus favoring treble response. - no need for any crossover caps.

Since they're of such a high ohms, they present little to no load on the whole system.
They put out a weak sound, but as I mentioned before, allows marketing to add an extra speaker in advertising.

We would like to see how it comes out in the end!

Absolutely! We decided to stick with the current speakers for now. I ordered new caps for the crossover, removed the speakers and started stripping the finish.

This week my goals are:
1) finish stripping the old finish​
2) build the storage compartment where the old amp and turntable were​
3) prep the cabinet for the new stain​
4) Decide on the amp we will use (Leaning towards a sonos amp my friend will sell cheap if I want it)​

Attachments

• CE7239E4-719D-41C3-89FC-57AC6D13C4D7.jpg
    CE7239E4-719D-41C3-89FC-57AC6D13C4D7.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 56
  • FB8ADF41-F76D-4C38-AB52-F4F82E03382D.jpg
    FB8ADF41-F76D-4C38-AB52-F4F82E03382D.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 50
  • AFB491E1-A505-4C6D-8385-B23639876C1A.jpg
    AFB491E1-A505-4C6D-8385-B23639876C1A.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 50
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.