ADC using ES9102/9112

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now I am wondering whether the top of the line ES9102 has the same issues. Did anyone try to program any custom biquads to the ES9102 and verified the correct functionality?

Hi Curryman,

I have tried programming custom RIAA biquads to an ES9102 reference board and ran into exactly the same issue you described for the 9112.

At the time, I blamed myself thinking I was programming the ADC incorrectly. I actually shelved the whole project when I couldn't get it work.

If I remember correctly (and this was over 2 years ago) the default RIAA curve would sometimes remain loaded, or sometimes it would be flat, but it never correctly applied the programmed filters. I had two custom filters made up for 96kHz and 192kHz that I was trying to get working.

I wonder if the pinout for the new revisions will match the old versions of the ICs? I was about to dust off this old project but if I can't get the ES9102 silicon anymore, then not much point!

Regards,
Owen

Hi, I'm ready to start exploring the AKA102B now :). Some questions:

1: Acko - do you still have the input buffer and MCU boards?

2: If no inputbuffers are avaiable how would the recomended buffer in the manual be tweaker for SE?

3: If no MCU boards are available - can anyone point out a working HW solution and maybe share their code?

4: Have anyone been able to find a way with I2S -> USB 32/384?

5: Have anyone taken spectral measurements at 1khz and 10khz? Any screenshots?

Regards

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Curryman,

I have tried programming custom RIAA biquads to an ES9102 reference board and ran into exactly the same issue you described for the 9112.

At the time, I blamed myself thinking I was programming the ADC incorrectly. I actually shelved the whole project when I couldn't get it work.

If I remember correctly (and this was over 2 years ago) the default RIAA curve would sometimes remain loaded, or sometimes it would be flat, but it never correctly applied the programmed filters. I had two custom filters made up for 96kHz and 192kHz that I was trying to get working.

I wonder if the pinout for the new revisions will match the old versions of the ICs? I was about to dust off this old project but if I can't get the ES9102 silicon anymore, then not much point!

Regards,
Owen

Hi Owen,

thank you for your feedback. Seems a faulty implementation regarding the biquad programming went to the silicon. Wondering why they did not correct the datasheet. Still this feature has been announced in the latest datasheet although it must have been clear that it does not work from the early beginning :eek:

I also hope that the new chips will have the same pinout. My latest info is that they will be called ES9106Pro and ES9108Pro and release will be early 2016.

kind regards, Daniel

Hi, I'm ready to start exploring the AKA102B now :). Some questions:

1: Acko - do you still have the input buffer and MCU boards?

2: If no inputbuffers are avaiable how would the recomended buffer in the manual be tweaker for SE?

3: If no MCU boards are available - can anyone point out a working HW solution and maybe share their code?

4: Have anyone been able to find a way with I2S -> USB 32/384?

5: Have anyone taken spectral measurements at 1khz and 10khz? Any screenshots?

Regards

No, I haven't done any input buffer for this. Looks like most users are doing Vinyl rips only and have already got preamps that can directly drive the ADC
So not much demand for a general purpose buffer unit as proposed in the manual. What is your application?

The same for MCU but you may want to contact John. Please check this out:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/255145-adc-using-es9102-9112-a-24.html#post4215192

Unless if there are further interest, I will wait until the next chip release before
doing further work on this ADC project.

No, I haven't done any input buffer for this. Looks like most users are doing Vinyl rips only and have already got preamps that can directly drive the ADC
So not much demand for a general purpose buffer unit as proposed in the manual. What is your application?

The same for MCU but you may want to contact John. Please check this out:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/255145-adc-using-es9102-9112-a-24.html#post4215192

Unless if there are further interest, I will wait until the next chip release before
doing further work on this ADC project.

Thank you acko for your input. I will use it as a measuring device (p-millets soundcard interface) and rip some vinyl which seems to work without either the front-end or mcu :)

Regards

I'd like to try the Acko ADC, I currently have the 8ch Ackodac and MCU. Will I be able to use this controller to program the ADC as some have done with the two channel DAC MCU?

Will some(all) of the TP trident regs that I use to power my DAC work to power the ADC? Would like to
Experiment with my current hardware to get it working for vinyl rips before a final config.

Also I will try with the USBStreamer, but has anyone tried the usbpal? As it's higher res.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
May the build commence :)

Can someone please describe the i2s connections between the ADC board and a miniStreamer? I think I get it but better safe than sorry.

I will hook up microphones to my adc.

//

Attachments

• ackoadc.jpg
    ackoadc.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 255
This is where the fun really starts:confused:
The pins to use on the Streamer J1 are:

2 - I2S In ch 1&2 Recording goes to SDATA
9 - I2S Master Clock goes to MCK
10 - I2S System Clock goes to BCK
12 - I2S frame synch toes to LRCK
A ground needs to be run as well. I did not use the ground on the UFL connectors. I pulled the actual connectors out of the black housing supplied with the Streamer and striped the insulation off right above the metal, leaving a couple of mm of signal wire. I striped off the the outer cover and shield from the UFL connectors leaving about 5mm of the inner cover. I then stripped off the inner cover to expose 2mm of the signal wire. I soldered the UFL signal wire to the Stream connector and then re-inserted the connector into the black body. Hopefully this makes sense.

I have used this a couple of times for LP's and it works pretty good.

John

32bit -> 24 bit problem. Need to get some I2C possibility running to change the output format of the ADC. Thanks for the mapping info John.

//

Native bit depth of this ADC is 32bits. To get 24bits, dithering is used but this would mean some loss of quality, I think. So if downstream device can handle up to 32bits best to leave is as it is for the highest performance.

Hello,

I would like to ask for advise. I have custom sound card/module for vinyl recordings that has:
– a very special external clock
– digital board (processor, firewire interface, clock signal comes to here)
– analogue board, where AK4621 is getting serial from digital board: 24 bit, MSB Justified.

Clock has 24.576 frequency, the whole thing works as 24/96 firewire card connected to Mac.

Question: is there a way to use AKA102B and set it up in a way to operate in this mode?
Digital board here is sending SCLK, MCLK, LRСK to ADC chip and receiving SDTO from ADC chip, where MCLK is 24.576 Hz.
Can I configure AKA102B to run so, being attached to my digital board?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
The manual don't describe the strapping for HW / SW control mode. I took it away and now I don't know which 2 pads to bridge for HW mode (default / as shipped)

Help?

//

Underneath the board you can see "SW" clearly marked for strapping the pads - software mode. If not linked you get HW mode i.e. no controller required/.

Even if set to HW you can still overide via I2C for SW mode so no need to bother to link pads for SW/HW. So I would say just leave it as HW (factory default) for tests and then simply connect I2C and control for SW

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, I have the board mounted - thats why I missed it. Thanks!

Something was linked as I took away a bridge that was there when delivered.

What kind of behavior shall I expect if set to SW but not SW setting has been performed?

//

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.