Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

- I already tried a big 2" driver with a simple conical connector and it worked very well, I really liked the sound:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-7437739

There's simply something to the "full-bodied" reproduction from one driver. You won't hear that very often.
Interesting.. I have RCF ND950 2.0 and could try it with 460-36. Would it be possible to get the file of that conical connector? Or is it so simple that just a 3d-printed shrink tube with 60mm length would suit job?

Last edited:
That's driver-specific. As the ND950 2.0 is obviously the 1.4" version with an additional throat adapter, it's probably best to replace the existing adapter with a "phase-plug to 1.4 throat" adapter instead (or just try to use it without the existing one). Its length will affect the tuning frequency of the extension, which should also/ideally match the driver in some way, but that's not solved yet, 60 - 100 mm should work. This is nothing but a cut-and-try approach at the moment...

Last edited:
I used the slotted baffle technique in a slightly different way, as throat for a fullrange driver (fe127) with a tractrix front horn. My idea was to have some compression and better dispersion by making the rectangular throat about 1/3 less wide and the height the same as the cone. Worked well but in that time I could not measure it, so a subjective conclusion based on listening.

I tried to clean a bit the throat/extension/WG interface - still not perfect but better :)

Polars at some off-axis angles (roughly 0/10/20/30), gate ~5 ms:
460-36-ext-2235.png

0 - 30 cm from the center of the mouth at 4 steps with a longer gate (~18 ms):
460-36-ext-2235-0to30cm.png

2235-2-2.jpg
2253-2-1.jpg

ATHEX 460-36/EXT + 1" Peerless DFM-2535R00-08

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't tried at the moment, as making a proper crossover would need to be done much more carefully than e.g. with the big driver, which seems to be a very forgiving setup.

There's really a great potential in using large-format drivers at their phase plug exits, even if radiating e.g. through a 1.4" aperture.
If we can reach 500 Hz with such an ease, there's really no reason for any MEH or something, IMO.

Last edited:
Besides small exit Angle...any hint what could be relevant parameters of the driver for lf extension? Changing tube length is surely something I should try then, too.

Will check later how to change in CAD with existing stl (grab the curvature from it) to a Okta-Design....imagine a nice red-white Umbrella Corporation design ;-)
As far as I read here it should not influence performance largely...?
Might be some work as need to re-design for that but does not matter. Look would be cool in my home cinema :cool:

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the small exit angle as a requirement. For example the D2500Ti-Nd (a photo below) has a pretty wide-angle exit section, although only short. Then if I wanted to try to get a maximum out of it, I would try to start the extension at the phase plug exit, perhaps even with something else than a conical shape. Small exit angle is probably good if you want to use a stock 1" driver as it is...

1694852819682.jpeg

What about CD membrane design? Your tested drivers all have a dome diaphragm. May a BMS ring diaphragm behave different? Or the HF1440 I have here (unfortunately 1.4"....otherwise for even extended low end interesting). The LF extensions "uses" some resonance. the impedance of the CD diaphragm could make a difference here regarding its stiffness/withstand...