Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

This is the original horn, driven at the 1.4" throat:
1692475531757.png

And this is driven at the 1" end of the conical extension:
1692475508655.png

1692475668193.png
1692475967501.png

Honestly, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:
Did you try to simulate with subdomains instead of external -domain-only approach ? Your results look rather suspicious, since the adapter increases the length of the horn quite a lot, while "the cutoff frequency" of the horn is almost not reduced. It looks to me not very correct and contradicts to some of my simulations results.

Did you try to simulate with subdomains instead of external -domain-only approach ? Your results look rather suspicious,
That was a good remark! Here it is with an internal subdomain added.
Later I'm going to try to reverse the interface orientation, which also has an effect sometimes. (No NUC here.)

1692484311194.png
1692484327464.png

Anyway, it seems that this kind of throat impedance actually helps to make the drivers more flat.
The directivity doesn't seem to suffer, which I explain by the conical shape of the extension - it in fact doesn't change much the wavefront at the original throat cross section.

Now think of what can be done with drivers like HF146...

Last edited:
Interesting thing is that Abec3 simulates correctly in axisymmetric mode using both subdomain or external-only domain approaches (there are very minor differences). While in 3D mode only external-only approach gives incorrect acoustic loading. It seems to be some kind of bug in the Abec3 code.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wouldn't say the difference is significant with longer windows. And it is not clear what conclusion follows from this. The trivial conclusion is that the simulations oversimplify reality a bit, although the picture is qualitatively quite plausible (perhaps some acoustic losses in the compression chamber/phase plug should be included in the simulation?)

RTA, white noise averaged, no smoothing.

1692521170609.png

My conclusion is that this is unbelievable. :) Considering it's a small 1" driver in a more or less constant-directivity horn.
Now I only wonder what a DFM-2544 could do.

- Definitely a good study material, obviously something must have been done right. I have no clue what it is...
And of course it would be nice to have some means of modeling this for any existing driver, by measuring its parameters first, to be able to optimize the whole thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users