Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

The truth is that I mentioned all of this at the moment I introduced the functionality

Yes I know and have worked with the config file accordingly for many months. Sometime in between the many last pre-releases, I mean that I had read that PaseComp was now obsolete and removed automatically, but I might have misunderstood something. I did not note that when I had removed the entry that the issue began, because I had little time and doing it all in-between other things.

Anyway, if it was just me misunderstanding the software this is superb, because this is an easy fix.

P. S.:
After the FRD appear to be without phase issue, I hope this VCad simulation holds true for crossover integration. A very nice integration with a 10 inch woofer at crossover, from SP, SPDI and PIR all considered:

WG50_FRD var2 Power+DI_fixed.png WG50_FRD var2 Directivity (hor).png WG50_FRD var2 Directivity (ver).png

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still working this rectangular horn for an AMT driver.

How can I get the mouth rollback to work on this? I've tried the different commands that have been used in this thread but it doesn't work on this rectangular horn. Where am I going wrong here:

Code:
     NamePrefix = "array_ver"
  }
Inclination = 270
MapAngleRange = 0,180,72
NormAngle = 0
}

ABEC.SimType = 2
ABEC.f1 = 500
ABEC.f2 = 10000
Horn.Adapter = {
Height = 148
Segments = 0
Width = 37
}

Horn.Part:1 = {
H = {
a = 64.5
a0 = 5
k = 1
n = 4
q = 0.996
r0 = 74
s = 0.7
}

L = 1
Segments = 16            
V = {
a = 26
a0 = 5
k = 1
n = 4
q = 0.996
r0 = 18.5
s = 0.7
}
}

HornGeometry = 2
Length = 100           

Mesh.AngularSegments = 64
Mesh.InterfaceOffset = 0
Mesh.InterfaceResolution = 8
Mesh.MouthResolution = 10
Mesh.RearResolution = 25
Mesh.SubdomainSlices = -2
Mesh.ThroatResolution = 5
Mesh.WallThickness = 10
Mesh.ZMapElementSize = 0.3,0.6,0.5,0.95

Output.ABECProject = 1
Output.STL = 1

I'm still working this rectangular horn for an AMT driver.

How can I get the mouth rollback to work on this?
Instead of independent "H=" and "V=" (which are OSSE definitions) use one single "D=" R-OSSE definition - that will become the profile of the diagonal. The only limitation is that it must be the last part of the horn. Together with the R-OSSE parameters, use "Inclination=" to set the inclination of the diagonal.

Reactions: 1 user
As the throat is made also effectively smaller (which is not a small thing), all the HOMs should shift higher in frequency (as I understant the matter) and I suspect that it's already high enough not to matter. You can also see that above 15 kHz the directivity issues went away. What remains is the reflection at the discontinuity and the wavy throat acoustic impedance, which corresponds to the frequency response "bumps" but these are readily correctable at the signal level.
That's good news: directivity is better, higher order modes shifted higher in frequency, and bumps can be corrected with equalization. I have very little experience with compression drivers/horns so after learning that information my current intuition is to use impedance to boost the compression driver around 12kHz (based on my personal hearing limit). Then pull down all the frequencies below 12kHz to flatten frequency response.

This Internal Ring shape supplies a small boost between 10-12kHz.

Attachments

• polar.png
    polar.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 33152_DE250_8.75a_normalized.png
    33152_DE250_8.75a_normalized.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 33152_DE250_8.75a_Impedance.png
    33152_DE250_8.75a_Impedance.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 33152_DE250_8.75a_RingInternal.png
    33152_DE250_8.75a_RingInternal.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 50
It's actually nothing new, the idea is to extend a narrowed directivity to lower frequencies - to increase the DI well across the lower midrange by utilizing the radiation of the back side of the diaphragm. Seems it should work pretty well. Would require a separate woofer though, making it a three-way. One (big?) advantage is that it can be quite small for what it can do.

Last edited:
This is fairly high from 500 Hz. Now only to find a way to get rid of that sharp transition.

1674204806519.png
ST260_ROSSE-z=30@0.png
ST260_ROSSE-z=30@-3.png

The cavity should be filled with damping (open-cell foam or something), otherwise there's a huge resonance.
(The acoustic impedance shown is for the front diaphragm only. The rear side looks very different...)

Last edited:
This is for driving the front side of the diaphragm only - it must the cavity.
But again, this is still far from reality as there's absolutely no damping in the model (yet).

1674210943954.png
ST260_ROSSE-front-only.png

I could try to tilt the wall opposite to the back side of the diaphragm.
The better without a damping, the better with a damping. Or not?

Last edited: