Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
One could also 3D print the inner mold in pieces, glue together with construction glue and maybe a few nuts and bolts. It could be even printed as a relatively thin shell and be filled with something. It would not make that much sense where bent plates can be used, but for a general shaped horn, that would be an easy option.

jzagaja: try to reduce max number of cores used. I am nut sure but I had the impression the max number of cpu cores correllate with the "expected" ram.

Another question: the 2-profile method works nice so far. But is this somehow possible to combine with the superformula? At the moment I can choose between rectangular horn with 2 seperate defined profiles or superformula attempt with h/v aspect ratio without the possibility to define the 2 profiles seperately. Not sure if it makes sense.... just wonder if a smooth h/v transition might be overall better?

Another question: the 2-profile method works nice so far. But is this somehow possible to combine with the superformula?
No, the 2-profile geometry is a special case solely for using flat or bended boards, not possible to combine with anything else.

- As the new features are added the configuration options become a mess but that's just the way it is. I wanted to write a separate application note for each possible approach (there are now at least three completely different ways to specify a horn geometry) but I can't find the time... A suitable GUI would make it all clear and simple (for the user) but that's impossible for the time being.

Last edited:
just like this:

1666792702800.png

So this might be a little bit of repetition compared to my previous post about the ST260 KVAR horn on this thread. But still posting it here in case someone finds it useful.I tried to do the best I could do w.r.t measurements but there could be some minor errors due to my setup and the environment in which I measured. Please excuse me for that.

These are raw horizontal and vertical polar (4ms gated, mic 1m away from horn outer surface) measurements of the ST260 KVAR on Peerless DFM 2544R00 compression driver.

Pic of the measurement set up (This is what I thought is the vertical polar measuring configuration of the horn)
IMG_20221026_222719.jpg

Horizontal polars
st260horpolar.jpg

Vertical polars
st260verpolar.jpg

My temporary system set up
IMG_20221026_230009.jpg

And I thought mabat should get the credit for his work on this horn. So here is what Andrew jones said about this horn (in a facebook group that I am a part of). Please excuse me if I have misspelt the name.
Andrewjones_comment.jpg

Thanks
Vineeth

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users