Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

That's better :)
Yes!
Response looks more similar to EAW's charts now.
KF750 HF Horizontal polars.png
The KF750 HF horn HPF (24LR) is around 1.47kHz to 1.75kHz depending on array configuration.

There's a pre-release implementing the 2-profile geometry on my website: https://at-horns.eu
(Ath-4.9.0, no docs yet, just a commented example included.)

ath-4.9.0-example.JPG

Notes:
1) The horn included is not supposed to be an example of a good design (it's really bad), it only demonstrates the new functionality.
2) Understanding of the OSSE profile parameters is needed to utilize the new functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
This is how to simulate flat walls with a simple flat driver entry, i.e. without any throat adapter. And of course you can add any number of subsequent horn segments (a better mouth termination) you like (or make the walls of the first part already bended (OSSE), of course).

flat-wall.PNG

Code:
Horn.Adapter = {
  L = 0
  Width = 40
  Height = 40
  Segments = 1
}

Horn.Part:1 = {
  L = 150
  H = {
    k = 0
    a = 42
  }
  V = {
    k = 0
    a = 30
  }
  Segments = 1
}

Attachments

• DS0.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can you also do WG/horn that are wide dispersion? If yes, did you ever present such a design here?

//
I've tried designing such a device. You may want to adjust the parameters somewhat if you desire more gradually rising DI - I myself wanted to try constant 5-6 dB up to 16 kHz, but was not able to achieve this with a 25 mm dome and simple phase plug. Maybe there is something to be done about phase plug design, or maybe I have to bite the bullet and convert my direct radiating dome into a compression driver proper - with, say, 16 mm exit. Current PP basically does nothing aside from protecting the dome from pokey fingers and providing unusual throat impedance. Last 4-pack is the same WG with phase plug omitted.

Attachments

• hec45wg34-28rw.png
    hec45wg34-28rw.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 28rw.png
    28rw.png
    93 KB · Views: 125
  • hec45wg34-28rw.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 49
  • hec45wg34-20.png
    hec45wg34-20.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 132
As Marcel gave us oportunity to design WG for rectangular source as AMT is I have tried to design WG for Heil AMT. Still not discover how to design Rollback (if it is possible) but what I get does not look so good.

ATH HORN1.png ATH HORN2.png rect1.png VACS1.png VACS2.png
Of course, I am not sure am I doing some mistake and could it be improved more. Below is attached script so if somebody have a will can check and advise.

Attachments

• rect1.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 84
Any way, as I was not satisfied with results I wanted to confirm it in practice. I made some kind of WG arround Heil chasis from plastic folie, cardboard and duct tape. As You can see on photos finish is rough and with several flaws

IMG_20220623_184122 (Copy).jpg IMG_20220623_184128 (Copy).jpg IMG_20220623_184135 (Copy).jpg IMG_20220623_184102 (Copy).jpg

but measurements are promising. Below measurements are ungated with 1/6 smoothing. First two are without any filters and second two with DSP and HP filter at 1 kHz

ESS HORN RAW SONOGRAM.png ESS HORN RAW POLARS.png ESS HORN  EQ SONOGRAM.png ESS HORN EQ POLARS.png

WG just follow V Heil chasis walls without any curve. I think with implementing OSSE things will get even better

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't know. Sometimes it behaves in mysterious ways...

- I have to admit I'm attracted to the 2-profile geometry for a while now. I already have some bendable plywood which seems a great way to make these.

This one is 624 x 448 x 328 mm, 1.5" throat, simulated free standing (horizontal data only):

DS8-TI2-mesh-2.JPG
DS8-TI2-mesh-3.JPG

DS8-TI2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What happens to the directivity when stood off axis vertical and horrizontally at the same time (due to the square horn geometry)

Say 40 Deg X plain and 40 deg Z plain?

Can you simulate that?

And is that 624mm depth I take it?

I ask because I have a large format laser cutter and an application that fits this or somthing close.

+ An idea.

We all generally struggle for a way to easily make the best large format horn profiles.

If you started like this with a square mouth that is made from Flexi-ply and a laser cutter (cheap and very easy!- this would take 30seconds machine time)

Those that cannot access a laser can draw out the coordinates on the wood manually

You would have to check/be careful of the max Bend radius, (looks ok by my guess)

Throat can be 3D printed for transition from round compression driver profile to square horn, and bolting to different drivers (1.4 or 1.5 inch for example.

Then, for better response, add 3D printed inserts to the throat for improved response if needed (thinking JBL M2/klipsch fillets here)

You would have a universal horn system.

My driver is a JBL 2452SL 1.5 inch exit, 0deg exit angle driver. Aim would be to mate to a 15 inch bass driver, unfortunately I can't put the corner wall at 45degrees. I can check today, but it's more like 30.

In 3 weeks I have time to trial this for an in wall corner horn if that helps (or flat wall if it measures better- but side walls of the room are quite close.)

I have sole access to 10 3D printers + 1200x900 mm format laser cutter for 6 weeks. I'm fairly good with Autodesk Inventor too.

See my thread for details on the installation.... Post 1 and 26 for key information.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/jbl-m2-in-wall-clone.387176/

Last edited: