Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

All criticisms welcome because I still don't understand directivity and directivity matching with enclosures: Is this too beamy? Too narrow?
The image will probably be confined to a smaller area around the stereo center. Very compact and solid image, detailed imaging, but what you hear will be presented to you without a sense of size.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The petals for A520G2 and A400G2. When put side by side, it's quite a difference.

IMG_20240525_141203974~2.jpg

There will be nothing smaller than the 400 :)

Reactions: 2 users
Changed the parameters for the horn I simulated in post 14,893 to flatten directivity above 4kHz. It can sort of work down to 3kHz between 20 & 25 degrees. Intuitively, I think something like this should be controlled to 2kHz minimum, so it would need to be a little bigger. Even though it might be too small I may print a waveguide to test effect of entry ports on the higher frequency range I want to keep flat. Config attached in Zip.

0, 10, 20, 30 Power+DI (10 degrees)

Syn8 var6 Power+DI_0.png Syn8 var6 Power+DI_10.png Syn8 var6 Power+DI_20.png Syn8 var6 Power+DI_30.png

Normalized 10 degree line chart. You could sit off center with the far speaker at 10 degrees and the near at 30 with a 5 dB drop level from 4kHz to 10kHz.

OSSE_Sica8_normalized.png

Center of polar still isn't smooth so sitting at 0 degrees wouldn't be as nice.

+/-90 Horizontal, Vertical

Syn8 var6 Directivity (hor).png Syn8 var6 Directivity (ver).png

Syn8 var6 Directivity line (hor).png Syn8 var6 Directivity line (ver, pos front).png

+/-180 Normalized (Yellow is -6dB)

Horizontal, Vertical. Vertical image should show more white like the Horizontal due to uneven 0 degree axis. It didn't come through in the image.

Syn8 var7 Directivity norm(hor).png Syn8 var7 Directivity norm(ver).png

Attachments

• OSSE_Sica8.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 17
Are there any recommendations on the distance between horn and woofer? I want to use the SB Acoustics SB34NRXL75-8 driver in a sealed spherical enclosure with a 37 liter volume below the A520G2 using an active crossover. Pictured is an early draft of how it could look like.

first draft concrete speaker.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Are there any recommendations on the distance between horn and woofer? I want to use the SB Acoustics SB34NRXL75-8 driver in a sealed spherical enclosure with a 37 liter volume below the A520G2 using an active crossover. Pictured is an early draft of how it could look like.

View attachment 1315073
Hello,

Some years ago i had this with 70 liter enclosures for 12“ bass drivers but the horn was not the best.

Greets Hannes

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 90

One common recommendation is 1.2 to 1.6 times the crossover frequency wavelength from center of horn to center of woofer. I preferred mine even wider than 1.6 times after listening tests. Everything between 1.2 and 1.6 still sounded good and other people may have preferred something in that range.

Reactions: 1 user
As close as possible. Ideally within a quarter wavelength at the XO frequency. Getting them that close is unlikely.

dave
and because it is unachievable with a big woofer and horn, this rule can be omitted alltogether.

@DCDK, there was a long discussion over this, started by Vituixcad creator Kimmo Saunisto. He suggested to use a center to center distance of 1.1-1.3 lambda of the crossover frequency. This results in quite a spread. The ratio behind this is the following: below the downward directed vertical null of the two-way system, the lobe again begins to sum positively. Due to this, the dip in the power response that is usually resulting from the two-way crossover is mitigated. From my own experiments, I never was quite sure if I could sense, in some cases, that i.e. bass notes where coming from the woofer and the voices from the horn. In any case, the tallness of the image improved. I suggest that you use simulation data in VCad and build a cheap prototype to confirm whether your design choice actually works perceptually.

Wow!!! Was the enclosure made of wood or concrete? I restricted my design to 50cm outside and 42cm inside diameter to avoid construction / weight issues. Was it an issue that the horn overlapped the woofer?
It ist made with fibreclay and was original a plant pot.
Sometimes i will bring this project to an end but first i need a nice horn for it.

Greets Hannes