Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I would be concerned that the tape is not a rigid surface and to suggest that it's more the distance from the CD diaphragm that is a majority factor. If that's the case then a more random distance would be what I would try. But I don't like using tape as any flexure of the walls will diffract.
Yeah the taped one is simply to have a reference when the air pressure can’t escape freely through the resistance of the holes.

I made a test with perforating the side of the waveguide and studied the effect of enlarging the holes that bleeds the sound from the backside of the cone.
972 enlargements were made and a 10 degree per step spinorama was made each time I enlarged the holes.

The spinoramas is first the holes taped over. Then the drills that was used was
0,5mm 0,7mm 0,8mm 0,9mm 1,0mm 1,2mm 1,5mm 1,8mm 2,3mm

The images didn’t show in the right order so I made a gif to show the result more clearly

Attachments

• IMG_2320.gif
    IMG_2320.gif
    924.3 KB · Views: 151
Hi, yeah sorry I noticed too late that the text was not accurate enough. I got your remark regarding about same thing earlier already, thanks straightening it up again.

What I ment is perception of mine, sound coming from speakers direction is just different listening further away. I have simplified sound that localizes to direction where the speakers are, frontal sound, as direct sound. Being a hobbyist I'm not too familiar with exact meaning of words, mistake there. Now being corrected few times it should stick.

Further away I cannot perceive direct sound and room sound separately with my setup, they seem to be merged into one roomy sound coming from direction of speakers. There doesn't seem to be distinct room or direct sound, it's just one hazy blob of sound localizing somewhere direction of the speakers. Listening close enough sound seems to clear up, for some reason, localizes much more accurately and timbre changes some. Moving between the two distances, it appears as if influence of local room disappears when close enough.

Comparing the two listening distances perceptually, frontal sound appears to be either very roomy or opposite, rather direct. So, it's just uneducated trying to describe what's hard to describe :)
Do you listen on-axis?
What's the distance between the speakers and the opposite wall?

Hi, sometimes, I haven't found favourite yet, listening happens within listening window of about +-30deg and I've been experimenting with positioning and toe-in. Speakers are at front wall, listening spot kinda middle of room, so back wall behind listening spot is quite far away, 3m or more depending on if speakers are on the long wall or on both walls in a corner setup, where corner, the speakers and listening spot make roughly a square.

"Yes, indeed. A funny thing is that the output wave is still virtually spherical:"
I think that it would be hard to see irregularities in the near field wavefront. The far field polar pattern is more instructive as a visual indicator.
You're right, the formation of a hexagonal pattern off-axis is more apparent when in farer away (3 dB step).

hex-8k-rear.PNG

hex-4k.PNG
hex-8k.PNG
hex-16k.PNG
hex--16k.PNG

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I'm pretty sure they are. I already measured the driver(s) with a completely different device and it was very similar:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6736091
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6736434

It should be no problem to EQ any of this. It's the smoothest driver I have at hand. I expect it to cover the range 600 Hz - 20 kHz with ease.

- I even measured the driver in my wavefront shape experiment. Above 10 kHz it resembles the same FR shape:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-7307030

Last edited: