Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I left thinking your question where does sound stay?
Short answer is it doesn't, we just have to guide it around and around, or absorb it somehow as you suggest. All relative to wavelength.
The best way to "see" it, is to calculate observation fields. This version is a bit Hyper cardioid at 4K.

Fields.png

2) AKABAK is not free use, or is it? is using AKABAK a workaround?
AKABAK has the same options as ABEC, a demo mode or a student licence for strictly non commercial use. ABEC projects can be imported, the last one complained about a fatal error but still loaded when I clicked apply. I just had to set the source to be driven and choose the driving weight for constant acceleration which is divide by jw. The meshes can be imported directly and with a basic template saved with the orientation and observations set as you want them that is fairly quick.

The observation scripts don't import very well, but with the point and click options in AKABAK setting it up as you want is a little easier than remembering the text commands in the script. Of course if the pre prepared script runs just fine in ABEC then that is the easier option.

It probably doesn't make much sense but here's some more food for thought, WGs (220mm) back-to-back as a dipole, raw summed response for just inverted polarities. Perhaps some LP on the back source would work. ABEC project attached.

1673327133521.png
1673327160037.png

Attachments

• dipole-test.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I also have Windows 11 and weird meshing with maiky's input.

The script I shared there https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...he-easy-way-ath4.338806/page-565#post-7228015
seems to work OK for me, I have tried to simplify but it did not go well at all...
I have the following set up
  • Ath 4.9.0-pre-release-221114
  • gmsh-4.6.0-Windows64
  • ABEC 3.6.0 b7 - 64 Demo
  • Windows 10 Pro (and have the issue with the projects sent by Mabat)

20230110 ST26TVar.png

As I mentioned earlier, I am trying to start from a flat terminated WG and add a working termination with the enclosure.
I have number of shapes, but anything is probably possible. I have attached examples.
Just don't care about the WG/Enclosure mismatch, that is just to illustrate I have some much better designs.
The last one was very interesting, and related to what @mabat is implementing, with Besier curves and maybe even more so a ROSSE shaped enclosure. The flat WG might be correctly terminated by the ROSSE enclosure:

1673328935041.png

But as I said, the current limitations on the custom enclosure plan makes it difficult to perform the full optimization.
Just to give some ideas...

Attachments

• TwoEllipses.png
    TwoEllipses.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 52
  • TwoCircles_tangents.png
    TwoCircles_tangents.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 47
  • TwoCircles.png
    TwoCircles.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Spiral.png
    Spiral.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 57
  • HalfCylinder.png
    HalfCylinder.png
    185.7 KB · Views: 59
  • CylinderSector.png
    CylinderSector.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Curved.png
    Curved.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 54
Yeah, but only at four points from infinitely many of them. That's not much :)
I was trying with asymmetrical WG so hopefully a bit better, but you are not wrong...
Now that you have gifted us with axisymmetric back, it might be a different story as maybe half of the WG could be correctly terminated a la Autotech Mummy http://hifiknights.com/reviews/speakers/horns-mummy-loudspeakers/
1673330599507.png

Edit: ROSSE is supposed to have low diffraction which is what we also want/need for the enclosure, isn't it?
At least this the starting point of my reasoning...

Last edited:
How do you do that? I tried an example a few pages back, but that didn't work.
It is very easy in AKABAK as there is a radiation Field Shell option which does most of the work for you.

Ath can generate the nodes or mesh for the fields but that would require resolving.

You can add another observation script into ABEC and solve the observation without having to resolve the BEM part.

Example script attached. You would need to change the identifier and drive group to reference the source in your script and play around with the node values to get the fields where you want them.

Then just solve the fields with that option.

Attachments

• Observation-Fields.txt
    918 bytes · Views: 48
It's to be noted that via Ath this only works in a full 3D model (not in CircSym mode, where it's different and really easy to add manually at an observation stage). The 3D field surfaces generated by Ath/Gmsh are actually regular parts of the mesh (MSH) file. They are also configurable regarding their variable resolution - typically, the further away from the source, the lower resolution you need.

Last edited:
My kids brought home some kind of foam clay, air dry and very very light, it weights almost nothing. It is strong enough to preserve shape, but flexes a bit when pushed and I guess it must be very well damped. Is it a bad idea to make a free standing horn from something like that? Unfortunately I don't know what it was, maybe something like this.

As free standing, attached to a driver, it holds only itself so maybe the lighter the better (?).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The totem loudspeaker as something Morel made à la Vivid Audio are very cool to look at in plus of being usefull for difraction control :)

I had to cancel my one piece ST260 at Hong Kong JLPCB that has a 3D printing service : here their advice for that sizes of WG, if can be usefull for garage printing for anyone, I copy here what they told me as the stl fil can not be updated by them (I chose the 8000 resin type that are strong and has a white mat surface, and not too much expensive) :

"For the part DST260-19-4holes.stl, the models could be shrinking to the center and warping to the diagonal lines and edges.We kindly suggest increasing the wall thickness to at least 3.5m to proceed and adding more ribs and rails along the side surface to strengthen the whole structure, which will be much better, but we can’t fully avoid the risk of the deformation due to the construction."

I thought it has 5 mm wall already, maybe not. I (or anyone else) can prepare a more serious model, the one at my website is still pretty rudimentary for people who want to try themselves (there's a STEP file as well). If all goes fine I'll have the jagged-egde version soon as well.

If I was to offer the waveguides myself (for money), they would look different...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user