Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

A couple of comments.

A plane wave reflecting off of a rigid boundary cannot be represented by any distribution of velocity or acceleration of the boundary - it is rigid!

The link shows some designs that are mostly aesthetic with some absorption. The absorption is high at HFs and low at LFs - exactly the opposite of what I want. Those panel will have almost no diffusion at all. Not even close to what I am talking about.
Viscosity of air

https://speakerdeck.com/deepflow/li...-xiang-xiang-hu-zuo-yong-falsezhi-jie-ji-suan

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...it's how far I got with my own CE360 prints (well, it already has a primer sprayed on now). I need to measure it to confirm it behaves as expected - it still may be that the assembled prints are not accurate enough.
Have you had the opportunity to verify the CE360?

Another question - now that there have been a number of these printed - is there a common understanding on what material one should choose to print with?

//

A couple of comments.

A plane wave reflecting off of a rigid boundary cannot be represented by any distribution of velocity or acceleration of the boundary - it is rigid!

The link shows some designs that are mostly aesthetic with some absorption. The absorption is high at HFs and low at LFs - exactly the opposite of what I want. Those panel will have almost no diffusion at all. Not even close to what I am talking about.
Sorry, I meant that the source is defined as a velocity or acceleration - not the reflection. You can apply a complex impedance to a boundary in both AKABAK3 and COMSOL, which will affect the reflection behaviour along with the geometry.

I was also mainly referring to the aesthetic side of those products, which are aimed at office and hi-fi listeners. I’m not aware of any off-the-shelf diffusers for LF, which is possibly because of the physical sizes required. Not much ‘spouse acceptance factor’ there.

I’m not aware of any off-the-shelf diffusers for LF, which is possibly because of the physical sizes required.
Trying to diffuse LF reflections would be a waste of time, not that would necessarily stop an audiophile from trying it. Fortunately it the HF reflections that are most important to imaging and those you would want diffused - preferable to absorbed. We want high absorption of LF modal space, but not for the HF diffuse space.

I had an idea about this but could not get ATH running on my Mac so I could not progress it... (#4,269)

//
Horn.jpg

There's plenty of adapters for matching the SB65 to various horns. Can it be treated as a compression driver in this case?

There's also this project using the TC6FD and DCS165. It seems like a ready candidate for modeling.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/broadband-driver-unity-horn-sb-horn-v3.381322/

I tried modeling the DCS165 as a simple 6th order bandpass and it did not perform per measured results. Was this incorrect?

Last edited:
wondering if you could comment on this. Putting together a freestanding waveguide with a DE 360 on a 10? inch woofer. playing around it vituixcad to see if its going to make any sense.
waveguidePrint1.png

I've just used a 4th order crossover to the 10 inch driver. simulated the directivity of the hypothetical 10 inch cabinat using the diffraction simulator. is there anything obvious that can be done better? crossover, woofer size, or the wg?

Capture.PNG

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After following this thread with great interest in what now seems like forever, I have committed to build a pair of ATH based speakers as I ordered 2 pcs of BMS 5530ND, 8 ohm, 1 inch exit. With quite some waiting time they will not arrive until mid July. I hope this modern driver will perform well. But maybe I can get talked out of this for a better choice with good argumentation :)

So now is the question how I get hold of a pair of WGs. I think I will start with a pair of ST260. I'm not so keen on getting a printer right now (surely will in the future) so it will either be from JCLPCB in LEDO 6060 or if someone here like to part with their surplus WGs :)

Trying to get hold of the 5530 exit angle...

//

After following this thread with great interest in what now seems like forever, I have committed to build a pair of ATH based speakers as I ordered 2 pcs of BMS 5530ND, 8 ohm, 1 inch exit. With quite some waiting time they will not arrive until mid July. I hope this modern driver will perform well. But maybe I can get talked out of this for a better choice with good argumentation :)

So now is the question how I get hold of a pair of WGs. I think I will start with a pair of ST260. I'm not so keen on getting a printer right now (surely will in the future) so it will either be from JCLPCB in LEDO 6060 or if someone here like to part with their surplus WGs :)

Trying to get hold of the 5530 exit angle...

//
I measured the angle on a 4552ND a few years ago (20?). Judging by the drawings I´d take an educated guess that the angle is close to 23⁰