Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

As to the baffle issue, this is the nice property of the OSSE formula - curvature along the curve goes smoothly to zero towards the "edge". It only takes some more space. (This was not the case in the previous example where the curve was cut at the apex, where the curvature is non-zero.)

ST260B:
osse-curvature.PNG

Last edited:
Thank you, Marcel, for this study because I think it proves the points that I made. 1) the differences would be minimal, and 2) there will be tradeoffs that different designers will choose between. For example, I prefer the enclosed waveguide because the DI is flatter and higher at LFs.

Then there is the fact that one must consider the whole picture where the free-standing waveguide must be placed on the woofer box which will then diffract in a manner quite different from the enclosed waveguide. This may or may not be an advantage - most likely another tradeoff to be considered.
One strong case for enclosing the horn is that you have a bunch of volume behind the waveguide that can be enclosed to help the woofer.

Stanalone horns with proper terminations seem to deal with reflections gracefully. I'll do some measurements of a horn that is on it's own and then when sitting on a woofer box.

^Yep, and tidier package as it makes one piece than few separate pieces, also aesthetics. But, the extra volume for woofer is not needed if there is third way in the whole system for the lowest bass. Also, two smaller packages are easier to handle than one big and heavy. Also aesthetics :D Well, everyone chooses suitable solution for their application.

Freestanding waveguide, "small" woofer box for the mids and big subwoofer system for the lows seems the most logical solution if going after audio quality though. Putting the waveguide into a box with woofer that plays mids and low bass puts other aspects ahead of audio quality in the priority list. Although, the difference might be marginal if only considering the waveguide being freestanding or in box.

Well, anyway, everyone is free to choose what they want from their systems. The true power in ATH script is that everyone can design, simulate and even fabricate device suitable for their project!

There's really no point discussing personal preferences regarding aesthetics etc.
The truth is that when it comes to an absolute acoustic performance, there's simply nothing like a good free-standing waveguide. The discussion about this should free from personal opinions and design choices. There are just numbers speaking for themselves :)

Reactions: 1 user
Almost flat DI, nice! I think this flat was not possible with the OS-SE script, all smooth results seemed to end up with steeper slope DI like your CE series. I wonder if the slight narrowing, around 1kHz on this one, can be avoided with flat DI? Although it is mostly outside listening window I think. Lets see after few more iterations :D

Anyway, nice, it looks like the rising DI part below 1kHz almost exactly matches that of ideal 15" driver.

Last edited:
View attachment 1017946

Im able to get this now How to see the polar plot and the frequency responses can you please help me.
Just requesting the forum members that Im trying to simulate and I have fairly good 12 core 24 thread with 16GB ram and 6GB gpu but the meshing is not happening its at 0% all the time and cpu usage monitor shows 0% usage. What could be wrong? Can anyone please help me. I am loving the easy way of ath horn but im unable to use it. I have gone through the documentation but couldnt find this problem. Can anyone please help me. I need to build the horn for my tweeter.

The first batch of 100 random mutants: http://at-horns.eu/gallery/opt6.php

Some of those are already pretty good.
The great thing about the parametric description is that one can set the overall radius as fixed. This was not possible before.

#89:
res_00089.png

There's something magical about this shape.

#20:
res_00020.png

This seems to be the limit of what can be achieved with a 450mm waveguide.

Last edited: