Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

OK, here's the try - the outer channels "pinched" so that the area is only increasing. Seems to change something :)
(1.4" driver)

What it probably still needs is an adjustment of area expansion to better match the plug and the waveguide entrance.

This is a good stuff, guys.
Wow! That looks really impressive!

Could we get a comparison to a OS-SE of the same diameter/coverage angle to see how large of an improvement there is to polars and impedance?

Sincerely
Anton

Any ideas?
I am not trained in natural sciences. Maybe the fact that the phase plug divides the pressure field into four chambers with four distinct exits is already introducing enough discontinuity at its 'mouth'. Any abrupt change in pressure will be relayed backward and inscribe itself into impedance as wiggles. Like when you simulate a baffled device that has no termination without an infinite baffle, the edge diffraction will rip the impedance. Do the tulip fins introduce discontinuity even though they create a sperical wave front?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have only a comparison to the ST260 (1" / 3 channels).
Note than at 800 Hz there's about 8 dB SPL gain with a slightly less excursion.

BTW, two channels are possible but three work much better.

Attachments

• ST260.png
    ST260.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 353
  • shaping25-3.png
    shaping25-3.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 345
I'm relatively new to it. Started learning it during the first lockdown.
Take your time and sketch everything typing numbers instead of making points with the mouse :)

Good 2d sketches lead to good 3d models.
Something that saved me a lot of time is projecting points from one sketch to another to make sure things align.

With just 3 operations, you can make almost anything.
Extrude, Revolve, Loft

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is all very exciting, what driver do you think would be a good candidate for this new phase plug? a 4" Be dome? (to avoid modal behavior of the diaphragm)
The proof of concept is now in aragorus' hands. If the Axi2050 won't make it, I don't know what else can :)

But yes, it may come down to finding a suitable driver. We would really have to measure the exit wavefront, I'm afraid (no progress on that on my side). Or just try it and see, like we always do. The simulation says it's definitely possible, IF the wave is uniform across the input aperture.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I still have the this 2" driver so I thought I will try something as well. The driver has quite long exit section, but who knows, maybe in the end it may be better to give the wave some time to "average out". I also thought about inserting a printed tubular ring into the exit section, making the initial profile exponential, instead of conical, i.e. making one smooth area expansion including the plug.

BTW, this would be ø375 x 175 mm including the plug.

Attachments

• PA-D99-profile.PNG
    PA-D99-profile.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 292
  • PA-D99-radimp.png
    PA-D99-radimp.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 280
  • PA-D99-pmape.PNG
    PA-D99-pmape.PNG
    42.6 KB · Views: 285
  • PA-D99-polars.png
    PA-D99-polars.png