Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I'd say there's more to test?

Looking at this picture:
993553d1635496884-acoustic-horn-design-easy-ath4-png

Makes me wonder, what happens if...

- we make sure each channel has the same expansion rate
- build up expansion, the further the channel is from the center (thus making the middle one fall in between the center and outer channel)
- etc...

It will look strange, in 2D, but the important part seems to be the gradually growing expansion.
I'd make the studs that keep the channels fixed drop shaped :). Round part toward the throat.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That makes no difference, I tried that already (didn't show). It seems it's only the total area that matters.
The widths/positions of the channels have effect on HF polar respose but not on the impedance, if that's what you mean.

BTW, it's definitely possible to "shape" the impedance by changing the shape of the waveguide - there's the room for optimization.
This is for a 1" driver -

Attachments

• imp-shaping.PNG
    imp-shaping.PNG
    123.7 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tried to drive the same WG by an ideal spherical cap corresponding to the exit wavefront of the plug. Here's the result -

Attachments

• driving-plug.PNG
    driving-plug.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 394
  • driving-cap.PNG
    driving-cap.PNG
    21.3 KB · Views: 376
  • driving-imp.png
    driving-imp.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 382
  • d-plug.png
    d-plug.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 164
  • d-cap.png
    d-cap.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used just a random shape for now, basically a conical horn rolled back very early on.
The whole point is that you have to drive this profile with a spherical wave, otherwise it would be utterly useless (attached results for a plane wave).

At this point it's still not optimized in any way.

Attachments

• flat-source.png
    flat-source.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 174
  • flat-source-mesh.png
    flat-source-mesh.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
So who is able to make it? :)

- I already tried a half on a regular FDM printer (0.25 mm nozzle) and at least for prototyping it's pretty good. The top is a single perimeter, so about 0.25 mm thick (would need some hardening though, maybe an epoxy coat, or just make the wall thicker). There are still also some minor slicer issues.

I'd love to give a 2" version with 4 vanes a go, if you'd provide a dxf or slices/points

I do not have one and I have been considering to buy one for a long time...but do not know which model would be the best for me.

The largest volume you can afford..

About 6 months ago the volume "bumped" from the phone-screen size printers to the aprox. 8" printers. I purchased one of those (AnyCubic Mono X) but now wish that I had waited for the next "bump" in volume (at a fairly reasonable price).

Here is the latest "bump" in *volume vs price:

ELEGOO Jupiter: 12.8" 6K Mono MSLA 3D Printer by elegoo official — Kickstarter

Be aware that other manufacturers like AnyCubic often produce a similar product near or soon after when a product like the Jupiter actually starts shipping, so it's quite likely that several months from now AnyCubic will have an initial sale on a similar size printer; this is because the screens they are using (12.8" in this instance) become available for bulk purchase. Caution: with the global chip shortage - it's anyone's guess if the product will be actually ready to ship to most customers at any given point until that problem is resolved.

*note: you can purchase even larger volume resin printers, but most are around the 2k price-point with a few that are more expensive.

Of course you can slice a larger model and then resin "glue" (or super-glue) it together after printing the multiple pieces, but it's a messy hassle.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What is it with the wrinkles in impedance plot, this is indicating resonances? Simulated SPL naturally shows the same variance. Can this be further reduced? What is the sonic implication?
I just don't know (yet). I think it will take a while now to trace all the little remaining imperfections. It's already pretty complex structure.

Any ideas?