Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you don't mind I merged the two pictures. This is really good.

Attachments

• layers-merged.png
    layers-merged.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 490
I really like the visual aesthetics of biradial horns and how well they sit on / hang below woofer boxes. kind of like the old Altec multicells.

Found an "easy" way to print horns with rollback. Print them in 2 pieces and weld them together with a soldering iron at 200 degrees :)

uHf8kNA.png

It should be good from about 800 Hz.
What are the dimensions?

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
I feel like it was a lucky guess playing with the morph rate and corner angles.
It's approx 38cm x 20cm and about 16cm long. I can't remember the exact specs.
Did like a 20 itterations and this is number 7 or so.

I got a friend recommend an acrylic material called Jesmonite that is non toxic
and environment friendly and I'll try to do a cast and see how that works ��

Last edited:
Found an "easy" way to print horns with rollback. Print them in 2 pieces and weld them together with a soldering iron at 200 degrees :)

This is most impressive, especially for a non-symmetrical fanboy like me! It looks like I'll have to get myself a 3d-printer at last :)

Would you care to elaborate on the above? Being completely ignorant about this, I don't even see or understand the problem you seem to have solved with the 'welding' with regards to roll back issues.

First of all a huge Thank You to Marcel for sharing this valuable tool. ATH is up and running by now. Looking to design a horn suited for corner placement, most probably MEH and/or slotloaded woofers Genelec style.

May I ask how Gnuplot is supposed to work with ATH? I have downloaded the latest version gp541 and the ATH config file is pointing to the gnuplot.exe

- is ATH supposed to print a Gnuplot file as it does with ABEC?
- do I then need to add a parameter to the ATH project to turn this feature on?

Battling ATH installation was fun, tried searching for answers to my Gnuplot questions but could not find anything.

Hi Mabat:
First of all, in addition to all the kudos you have already received, I must compliment you on your documentation. It is truly exemplary and makes for short work of learning how to use the program!

Could I ask for a feature/feature tweak:
Could we have a vertical/horizontal switch for ABEC.polars?

Thanks

Joined 2004
Paid Member
May I ask how Gnuplot is supposed to work with ATH? I have downloaded the latest version gp541 and the ATH config file is pointing to the gnuplot.exe

- is ATH supposed to print a Gnuplot file as it does with ABEC?
- do I then need to add a parameter to the ATH project to turn this feature on?
At the moment gnuplot is used for creating reports (as attached). See chapter 6.12.

Could I ask for a feature/feature tweak:
Could we have a vertical/horizontal switch for ABEC.polars?

Thanks
Actually, there's no concept of horizontal or vertical polars anymore - you can have as many planes you want, but I forgot to mention one important parameter in the documentation:

ABEC.Polars:<label> = {
Inclination = <inc_angle>
}

Set <inc_angle> to 90 for vertical plane, 45 for "diagonal", etc. You can have more than one ABEC.Polars sections in the script, then several polar maps will be calculated (and available in VACS). The default value for "Inclination" (when omitted) is zero, i.e. the horizontal plane.

Attachments

• HF108.png
    HF108.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 573
Last edited: