Acoustat Answer Man is here

Thanks for info. Any idea where that peak is located? I was very pleased with the effect of increasing the HF balance, because it was just what I needed: boosting only the extreme highs. Since I did not recall what we had heard ~30 years ago when we "voiced" the system with fixed resistors, I had been reluctant to make changes because I was worried they would affect upper midrange too. Very pleased that I don't hear any effect there at all.

Of course it would be much easier to achieve desired balance if I had a variable resistor setup. Still considering whether I want to go that route, but I am not convinced it will sound as good. My recollection is that the fixed resistors were an improvement over the variable resistor with strap that came with my 1+1's. I actually found I still have those resistors--but not the straps--though I would switch to a pot if I went the variable route. I am still planning on replacing the 30 year old Wonder Caps with newer tech when I get a chance to study up on the huge range of available caps to figure out which can fit in the 1+1 interface (and which I want to pay for, multi-hundred dollar individual caps??).

Look at post number 2388, (page 239) and the few after that. A member posted a graph showing the flattest response to be around 3.3 ohms. I still have and use the variable control and set mine as close to that as I could. I was already pretty close, but dialed it in even closer.

Sounds great to me, (in my room and with my gear, of course).

Last edited:
Originally, Acoustat supplied 3-amp slow-blow fuses for the audio protection fuse. In later years, when high powered amplifiers became more common, this value was upped to 5-amp slow-blow to avoid nuisance blowing.

Be advised this fuse offers only some protection for the speaker, and is really more to protect the amplifier in case of a shorted speaker.

My advice is to use as small a fuse value as possible, sized to prevent blowing on undistorted (unclipped) music at the maximum volume you are likely to play. The best fuse value will depend a lot on the capabilities of your amplifier.

First of all, thanks for the info. Having just replaced an interface and all is good...Great! Sounds wonderful.
Using an Anthem P-2..350/8 600/4 but in a very large room. Using 3.5 slow blow with no failures yet but would like to play a bit louder. Any advantage to using a 5 slow? Or stay safe with the 3.5.
thanks again from a LONG ago dealer...Mr Toads Stereo.
Tom

Be advised this fuse offers only some protection for the speaker, and is really more to protect the amplifier in case of a shorted speaker.

Which is unlike the modern Quad ESL's, that actively shorts the speaker anytime the clamp circuit thinks there is an issue. And there is nothing to protect your amp, because "screw your amp"

Sheldon

cat-resistant alternative to cloth for Acoustat 2+2 coverings?

My cat cannot resist using my Acoustat 2+2 speakers as scratching posts, and has destroyed the original black fabric. The speakers sound nice, but now look like crap. If I remove the old fabric and replace it with something similar, I expect the cat to slowly lay waste to the replacement cloth coverings.

I love my cat and am not willing to remove his claws or banish him from the listening room. Other cat and Acoustat owners must have had the same problem. Has anyone successfully used an alternative to speaker cloth to solve this problem? Or solved the problem some other way?

One idea is to use perforated metal sheets, similar to Martin Logan speakers. Or perhaps hardware cloth. I am concerned that anything metallic may interfere with the functioning of the electrostatic panels, or maybe degrade the sound. I do not mind if the speakers take on more of an industrial look.

Any ideas that might help? Please, no jokes about killing cats or the like.

Happy listening (and tinkering),
Joel Dickman

I have a cat who is a climber. My 6600 has frayed cloth from claw marks on the sides going up to the top. It hasn't affected the speakers and no one has commented or noticed them but it pisses me off to see them. I am thinking to making some kind of guards with metal rods on the ends maybe only 1/4 of the height of the speakers.

Attachments

• bars2.jpg
    bars2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I have a cat who is a climber. My 6600 has frayed cloth from claw marks on the sides going up to the top. It hasn't affected the speakers and no one has commented or noticed them but it pisses me off to see them. I am thinking to making some kind of guards with metal rods on the ends maybe only 1/4 of the height of the speakers.
maybe if the guards were charged from the HV bias... :eek:

Kidding!