Accidental MLTL Technique

It's all very encouraging, and these little SEAS drivers are great value too.

My only outstanding conundrum (and this is just me chatting; you've helped me loads) is thinking about my placement, because in my current house they will be very close to the wall. Obviously I can just turn the bass down (since I'm going to do active) but I might play around with the idea of a drooping response to try and balance the room/boundary gain a little bit. In that sense the normal desired outcome of a flat response is not wanted, and I'm going to experiment with different drivers and port lengths to get a selection of different response profiles from the same cabinet.

Thanks again - I've learned loads.

Xki enclosure thread, ?

If you are happy with 100dB then it is a great sounding hifi solution. The XKi is not going to be as flat in response but gives more punch and higher power handling, plus more uniform polars.

Hithere X:I Lost the thread for Xki enclosure thread here on DiyAudio. Could you repost a link. Even Gxxxx]le could not find it and the DiyAudio search gave me the blow torch & unrelated threads. ...regards and thanks, Michael

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's all very encouraging, and these little SEAS drivers are great value too.

My only outstanding conundrum (and this is just me chatting; you've helped me loads) is thinking about my placement, because in my current house they will be very close to the wall. Obviously I can just turn the bass down (since I'm going to do active) but I might play around with the idea of a drooping response to try and balance the room/boundary gain a little bit. In that sense the normal desired outcome of a flat response is not wanted, and I'm going to experiment with different drivers and port lengths to get a selection of different response profiles from the same cabinet.

Thanks again - I've learned loads.

If you want, I can turn on back wall and floor reflections (tell me distance away from back wall and how high your driver is above the floor) and I can show you what it looks like. Ain't going to be pretty - lots of reflection dips, back wall bass gain is good as I did not turn on baffle step losses (about -5dB) so that will come out maybe even with wall and floor.

If you want, I can turn on back wall and floor reflections (tell me distance away from back wall and how high your driver is above the floor) and I can show you what it looks like. Ain't going to be pretty - lots of reflection dips, back wall bass gain is good as I did not turn on baffle step losses (about -5dB) so that will come out maybe even with wall and floor.
Basically it amounts to hard against the back wall - maybe a 4" gap. As you say, the baffle step will be pretty much not there, which is why I think the SPL will probably be ok and match-in with the Alpair on top with minimal level adjustment.

Driver centre will be 60cm above the floor, as my speakers sit on a low plinth.

In relation to the interest in a falling response I was looking at the Troels Gravesen 8008 Corner design which is for a near-wall placement, and he puts the bass speaker in a very large box to get a falling response to play against the rising response which he expects from room/boundary gain. 8008-CORNER

That's exactly the kind of alignment I saw when fooling around putting lower Q drivers into big enough boxes to allow for a good cross-section TL.

The "accidental" technique works well for smaller woofers, 3" or 4".

Those 18" subwoofers are a whole different game.
Also, the best performance comes from drivers with a Qts close to 0.5... Not saying other drivers won't work, but the best punch in a MLTL comes with mid Qts drivers.

There's a trend right now using big sub drivers in sealed enclosures, using EQ to bring them down. That would surely save you a lot of space ...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Two drivers I would like to model for an MLTL enclosure,

The JBL 2245H and the

Volt RV4564

They will be big :D

The A-MLTL method works best for moderate Qts drivers, and “mass loading” helps to bring the tuning lower in frequency when the Qts is moderate (>0.45 or so). Lower values like 0.31 are best with a specifically designed tapered TL - like those used on PMC monitors. That can really give an incredibly accurate and deep bass note with higher efficiency than a sealed enclosure. The adjustment of Th exorrect dampening is critical though for the best performance (controlled deep bass that is not a one-note wonder).

That Volt is a superb driver. I could take a crack at a design for you if you are interested.

The A-MLTL method works best for moderate Qts drivers, and “mass loading” helps to bring the tuning lower in frequency when the Qts is moderate (>0.45 or so). Lower values like 0.31 are best with a specifically designed tapered TL - like those used on PMC monitors. That can really give an incredibly accurate and deep bass note with higher efficiency than a sealed enclosure. The adjustment of Th exorrect dampening is critical though for the best performance (controlled deep bass that is not a one-note wonder).

That Volt is a superb driver. I could take a crack at a design for you if you are interested.

Yes would be most interested to see how the Volt RV4564 models :) a bigger version of the BB5? which uses the 15" Volt driver

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
So do you prefer the 15in 3863 or the 18in 4564? I don't think a straight MLTL is appropriate, but can make a folded tapered TL work I think. Something like this but huge.

Low-Cost PMC-inspired TL Monitor with DC130A and DC28F

511112d1445927932-pmc-tl-stuffing-pmc-tl-dc130a-photo-1.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For a Coral 8F-60, a MLTL of the following dimensions could work:

42in high x 16in deep x 10in wide (all internal), mount driver 12in from top, 2in dia x 2in long vent 4in from bottom, stuff top third up to driver with polyfill. USe 1.2mH and 6.7ohm BSC to get 89dB sensitivity after baffle step. F6 is 42Hz.

Attachments

• Coral-8F-60-FR-1m.png
    Coral-8F-60-FR-1m.png
    34 KB · Views: 395
Hi,

Can anyone here advise me to see if this design works in accidental mltl.

I have a 60cm length 8 inch diameter pipe with another 50 cm length 6 inch diameter pipe inside. The speaker port is about 25cm long and 2 inch in diameter . The speaker driver is SB acoustics midwoofer PFC 6.5" and will be placed on top.

The pipe inside a pipe hopefully hopefully should resemble folded MLTL. I am using this for a subwoofer. I know I should use sub drivers, but sometimes they are just too slow sounding so I am using a midwoofer instead.

Any advice on this design?

Thanks in advance.

Oon

Attachments

• Co ax MLTL-1.jpg
    Co ax MLTL-1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 296
Last edited: