AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

Joined 2018
Paid Member
How much heat is generated by KSC3503/KSA1381?

Does it matter using thermal paste vs. thermal pads?

I see most people have used thermal pads between the TIP142/147 and the main heatsink.

1707798141000.png

Joined 2018
Paid Member
AB100 boards are done, except soldering in the output transistors, but I am going to wait until all the holes are drilled and tapped in the heatsink before doing that.

AB100 boards done 1.jpg

AB100 boards done 2.jpg

AB100 boards done 3.jpg

AB100 boards done 4.jpg

Transformers are Toroidy 250VA PRI 2x115v SEC 2x32v, with two separate mono cases, no soft start required, simple 15 amp switch, no speaker protection circuit. As basic and straight forward as possible. Going against the grain with no anti ringing snubbers based on my interpretation of Tom C's notes on his web site of their necessity.

Any thoughts on how you would lay this out?

AB100 case layout 1.jpg

AB100 case layout 2.jpg

AB100 case layout 3.jpg

AB100 case layout 4.jpg

AB100 case layout 5.jpg

Didn't show the front mounted on/off push button switch or the little ground loop break circuit board.

Thank you,

David.

Reactions: 3 users
AB100 boards are done, except soldering in the output transistors, but I am going to wait until all the holes are drilled and tapped in the heatsink before doing that.

View attachment 1274277

View attachment 1274278

View attachment 1274279

View attachment 1274280

Transformers are Toroidy 250VA PRI 2x115v SEC 2x32v, with two separate mono cases, no soft start required, simple 15 amp switch, no speaker protection circuit. As basic and straight forward as possible. Going against the grain with no anti ringing snubbers based on my interpretation of Tom C's notes on his web site of their necessity.

Any thoughts on how you would lay this out?

View attachment 1274281

View attachment 1274282

View attachment 1274283

View attachment 1274284

View attachment 1274285

Didn't show the front mounted on/off push button switch or the little ground loop break circuit board.

Thank you,

David.
David, I always try to put the transformers in the front of the amp, away from the boards, input and output.

Reactions: 1 users
So I know your looking for definitive answers but I looked at the 1381 vs 350 and assuming the compliments are very close. Everything matches up except one that might be critical. The power dissipation of the MJEs is 20W where the KSA series is only 7W. Now if the circuit is not pushing that transistor very hard and they are heatsinked then probably ok. You'll have to see how loaded that driver is though to know for sure.

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello DaveFred

Great build progress well done .. I have the Gerbers for the AB100 power amplifier but just noticed that lovely PSU that you have as well
Can I purchase the Gerbers or point be in the right direction to purchase the bare PCB's if possible
this would be greatly appreciated
regards

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
... but just noticed that lovely PSU that you have as well
Can I purchase the Gerbers or point be in the right direction to purchase the bare PCB's if possible...

The PSU is one I drew up myself and might not be ready for prime time as this is the first time I have used it, it is just elements I took from a number of published designs. I hope I did it right, time will tell...

Take a look at any of the PSUs by Prazi, I think you will be safer with those.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Transistors all mounted on heat sink and soldered in, starting lock things in...

20240220_230000.jpg

20240220_233727.jpg

(P.S., I hope I am not annoying the more serious crowd with all my pics, I scoured looking for pics when doing the build and didn't find enough, so I hope this helps other visual learners...)

Reactions: 4 users