AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

I will be building another one, this time for myself, will be using these two 500VA trannies, going to be a heavy nipper !

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_142147.jpg
    IMG_20231117_142147.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2013
Paid Member
I’ve built both and while the AB100 is a nice amp, the Wolverine is at the next level. You are right, Wolverine is likely twice or double the price and the AB100 is super easy to build and set up, where the Wolverine requires a little more skill IMO.
Only issue I had with the AB100 was finding outputs, seemed one was out of stock for a while. But you could likely find a scrap Onkyp, Denon AV receiver and get the outputs (possibly using lower rail voltages). Lots of flexibility with the build.

@Bullitstang - Thanks. That was the conclusion to which I had come. The Wolverine does seem to be very well documented, so it takes some of the angst out of the process. I don't need massive power, so I think I can make do with a 3U 300mm deep case and three pairs which might help. I don't see much in the way of choices between the two.
PS there's something special about a nice green 68 fastback. Do you drive around with the soundtrack on a loop?

@wrenchone; It's traditional to do it on the 25th. Have fun. I look forward to hearing out it works out.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
@Freecrowder I found it curious to have say 40K uF on the power supply board and then 4x8200 uF on the amp board, isn't it usually one or the other?

Do you think just having the 32K uF on board is causing weak bass?

I was going to finally tackle the AB100 with dual mono, 4x10K uF per side on each PS board with another 4x6800 uF on each amp board. Transformers will be a pair of 250va @ 32v.

No do not misunderstand what I'm getting at. I do not think that the AB100 has "weak" bass. I'm just saying that the sound profile compared to my HB is different. I do not know whether my PS design is the issue at all. But I would say that your PS design is much beefier than what I put together. I'm not running a capacitor bank before the PS caps on the boards. My bridge feeds right into the caps on board.

Thanks Rick,
Not so worried about the ultimate sound level as I like to look after my hearing. However, I do subscribe to the notion of having lots of headroom so that an amp doesnt poop out on transients.
I prefer to use an SMPS and +/-48V seems convenient to me. Assuming a 4V lost and a 4 ohm load, then I would want a supply that could provide ~11A to support a 44Vswing towards the +ve rail. 0.7x11 gives ~7A rms current, so 7x7x4 about 200W rms. I think any of them would work with +/-48V rails.

Is there a current BOM and schematic that supports currently available parts?

BeardyWan - I have not heard the AB100, HB, or WV, but (as is usual on the Internet) I will comment anyway.

The feature you want is EF3. The reason is that with EF3, the VAS won't notice the difference between 4 and 8 ohms, whereas with EF2 the VAS will be working hard with a 4 ohm Maggie.

The Wolverine is EF3. I think the best WV configuration for a Maggie is the lowest voltage rails, and of course, suitably high current.
Ed

Reactions: 1 user