AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

Managed to tidy up my schematic: i have made a few modifications in this version (removed fuses as i have them on PSU now). attached boards and schematic including gerbers. I will be buying a bunch of these next month so let me know if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• brd.png
    brd.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,267
  • sch.png
    sch.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,242
  • DS-AB100.zip
    148.8 KB · Views: 167
Managed to tidy up my schematic: i have made a few modifications in this version (removed fuses as i have them on PSU now). attached boards and schematic including gerbers. I will be buying a bunch of these next month so let me know if anyone is interested.

I suggest that you beef up the traces for the collectors of the output transistors the way that Nelson's layout is done, as attached.

Attachments

• NP_AB100.jpg
    NP_AB100.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 1,154
Hello,

I have two Questions, Maybe you Folks can give me a Suggestion.
In my Basement i have a Yamaha mx70 laying around.
One Channel is burned down. And i have to repair it.
So i think About to put a AB100 in there. And only reuse the Chassis.
So i dont know if this is a good idea. Do i destroy a good amp which will Play very good if repaired. Or do i make a better amp if placing an AB100 in there?

And second Q. Do the AB100 Need an Speaker protection ciruit like seen in many AB amps or not like in most/all PASS amps?

thanks for your answers.

Alex

Do the AB100 Need an Speaker protection ciruit like seen in many AB amps or not like in most/all PASS amps?
DIY commercial project, if they put in their kits a smooth launch of the amplifier and speaker protection, no one will buy their kits, they will cost exorbitant money.
At the moment, all the equipment in the sold sets is defective.
Mr. Nelson puts another into his amplifiers.
https://www.passlabs.com/amplifier/xa25
1455289903-PASS_Labs_components.jpg

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Question is? Is the AB100 Power amp (descibed in this thread) so reliable that it don`t Need an Speaker protection?

This is a very difficult issue. The reliability depends on a lot of things.
The topology, the quality of the components, the quality of the construction, the use of the amplifier etc.
I think no-one can assure you that this or any other amplifier will never fail.

Question is? Is the AB100 Power amp (descibed in this thread) so reliable that it don`t Need an Speaker protection?
Protection is undoubtedly needed, as is a smooth start to turn on the amplifier.
In the most reliable amplifiers eminent firms put protection.

Power Soft Start Protection AIYIMA 1000W Power Supply Delay Power Soft Start Protection Board High Power For Class A Amplifier DIY 30A Relay Protection 220V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Omron Speaker Protection Board AIYIMA 2.0 Omron Speaker Protection Board kit parts reliable performance 2 channels 150w Assembled board For HIFI Amplifier DIY-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group 2pcs (one for each channel) Working voltage AC: AC 85-265V.

Last edited:
Not to step on toes, but here are my files.

Board is 2.85" x 9.725" and the Gerbers are in the format that pcbway.com
seems to be happy with.

I recommend the jlcpcb, which is cheaper than pcbway.
The quality is really good, we used it regularly for production at Norma Instruments. 5 boards is 10 USD+ shipping, which is 25 USD whith DHL.
They are very fast and professional.
For example:
First Watt F7 review

Attachments

• AB100_JLC.PNG
    AB100_JLC.PNG
    281.9 KB · Views: 1,046
Dear mr Pass (Papa),

first thanks for all your effort for the diy community and also thanks for the files!

I ordered today 10 Boards and i will send to others diy friends here for postage and a little fees (like for an padded envelope, if there will be customs charge the i share it on the 10 boards, it is Germany and here nobody knows how the customs "ticks" ;-) ).

preview

@All,

please write your name here in the thread, makes it easier for me, thanks!
But, please thing about that some PCB factories have a "welcome bonus", that would be in some cases cheaper the the shipping and so.

1. manniraj
2. Cambe
3. Robbie
4. Dieter

[EDIT] So all boards are gone, if some one goes away from this I will post it here

Last edited: