• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AAK Blackbird Multi-Channel ES9018 DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Update

Hi Everybody,

Assembly and testing is moving along but a little slower than I'd like. I've assembled and tested all six DACs with no issues. But, I do have an issue on the new IV_2 with the special heat sinking for the ADA4898. I was planning to use this board for all the dual-op amp set ups. I assembled one using the LME49720 for the initial test. After doing a point-to-point test on all the connections I don't see any issues with the board so I suspect it's bad part but I haven't found it yet. To confirm it's not the board I'll build another one today.

Marek, since your set up doesn't include an I/V I'll try to get yours done by next weekend.

For everybody else the assembly and testing continues slowed some by the the problems with the new I/V. I'll no more latter today.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
Hi Krede,

The transmitter/receiver boards are built and tested and are working great but I haven't got around to connecting the Tx board inside the HDMI box. I've just been too busy to get to it but I will soon. I'll let you know as soon as I get it up and running.

Best regards,

Al

Hi Fred,

Happy New Year to you and all. Things are progressing. Slower than I'd like but starting to come together. I still have a few power supplies and a couple adapter/SPDIF boards to build and test but otherwise everything else is looking good. I started the final assembly and testing stage over the holidays for those that don't require an enclosure. I'll have the enclosures this week so board mounting and wiring for your DAC should start next weekend. The goal is to get everybody's DACs shipped by the end of this month.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Best regards,

Al

Hi Mike and Everybody,

Mike, over the weekend I wrote a reply to this post and somehow it didn't get posted. I must of not hit the submit button. Sorry about that. I've been so busy lately at my regular job and working on this project and everything else that I must be losing my mind, lol!

Here's the latest update. As I mentioned work has been very busy since the beginning of the year as we're in a new product design cycle. I've had to work even on weekends which I has really slowed my progress. The good news is that all the boards have been assembled and tested without any issues. The enclosures are in house and look great. I'm currently at the final assembly and overall testing stage. Each DAC will be tested for a week to make sure everything works reliably. If all goes well I expect all the DACs to ship this month. I'll do the best I can.

Thanks for your patience. If you have any questions please let me know.

Best regards,

Al

Hi Al, this is great to hear that you're happy with the way the pieces are shaping up -- thanks for that update.

You're really busy I realize but a pic of the enclosures would be fun to see, no pressure, really! just curious about how they turned out.

Thanks again for the update and all the time you are putting towards the project.

Hi AL,

for the 8CH version, could you please do testing at 8CH,24-bit,192KHz to ensure that the I2S cable links between the USBstreamer, isolator board and DAC board are clean and reliable.

My DSP setup upsamples everything to 192KHz and sends 8CH out through USB to the DAC, so this would be my default mode.

thanks
jojip

Hi Joji,

Don't worry I'll test it thoroughly.

Mike, I'll post a pic of the enclosure when I get all the boards and switches mounted to the front panel.

Quick update. I'm currently mounting boards in the enclosures and on MDF boards for those that didn't order an enclosure. I should get to wiring sometime this weekend.

Best regards,

Al

Hi Joji and Everybody,

I'm still in the assembly stage but close to finishing. Wiring and final testing still remain. I know it's been moving slower than most would like including myself, but I've been making progress every week. Overall I'm very pleased with the results so far. My camera isn't very good but I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I'll take one of enclosure front panel for sure which looks great with the blackbird silhouette. Thanks Mike for the great idea.

Thanks again everybody for being so patient. If you have any questions please let me know.

Best regards,

Al

Hi Mike and Everybody,

Mike, here's some pics of your DAC (in front) showing the enclosure and the boards mounted. I still have to mount the main power distribution board. Fred (right) and Samuel (left), yours are the two in the back. I think everything is looking really sharp and coming together nicely.

I'm currently setting up the other DACs on MDF boards for testing. I'll take some pics when done.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Al

Attachments

• IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    569.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    539.3 KB · Views: 266
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.