A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
Well, Paul, I understand what you’re saying. But what he’s not saying this time, but which is implicit in his thinking , is that sound waves travel through a medium (be it air, water, or solid) without any movement at all of the medium. So I fear if you agree with his statement, you may accidentally be agreeing to that concept. At least in his mind.
Eric
And, that you have to be in that medium to hear the sound. And, that sound is an energy, not a thing. And that, air is the medium we live in. Air is not just around us, but also in us. You can be in front of the speaker, behind the speaker, above the speaker, below the speaker, in line with speaker, anywhere in the sphere, you still hear the sound. And, all you see is a to and fro motion of the speaker's membrane, DML or otherwise.

Last edited:
@pway (and others who are interested):
FYI, I just wrote up the detailed procedure that I use to determine the elastic constants of plate materials using the "tap test" method, also known as the Impulse Excitation Method.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...r-dml-design-and-analysis.383567/post-7210940
Thanks Eric, I’ll be reading closely. I’ve been looking again at the distribution of modes for soft supported rectangular plate, this time with the formula and Python. I will add free plates I too.
Some aspect ratios do give better distribution. And there does seem to be a problem with integer multiple side lengths at frequencies below 1000 Hz. I will post something after Christmas. Another thing I’ll try is to take two equal-width panels, one of say 0.5m, then adjust the height of the second so that productive modes are optimally interleaved.

Have you found that practical soft-supported panels agree with the modelled modes when built?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Well, Paul, I understand what you’re saying. But what he’s not saying this time, but which is implicit in his thinking , is that sound waves travel through a medium (be it air, water, or solid) without any movement at all of the medium. So I fear if you agree with his statement, you may accidentally be agreeing to that concept. At least in his mind.
Eric
I knew it was leading to something I wouldn’t like, but we should agree wherever we can so that the disagreements and errors can be put into sharpest relief. Not that I dare to hope it will make any difference. :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
It means ‘us-ones’ I guess. It’s a pointedly or comically uncultured usage. ‘Yawl’ is a similar colloquial / uncultured for you-all. And in Australia we have ‘yous’ - you with a plural. You can use them if you don’t mind people regarding you as a yokel (which I generally don’t).
So now you are complaining about the way I speak? How petty. lol For me I dont like when one uses this word> M8.

Thanks Eric, I’ll be reading closely. I’ve been looking again at the distribution of modes for soft supported rectangular plate, this time with the formula and Python. I will add free plates I too.

Have you found that practical soft-supported panels agree with the modelled modes when built?
Paul,
You're welcome, I hope you find it useful. I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Yes, the model predicts the modes of soft supported panels pretty well.
When I use very soft foam supports, especially when the the foam strip is narrow and discontinuous (say 6 mm by 6 mm every 25 mm), the actual results are very close to the model with simple supports. But I do prefer supports that provides more damping, and such supports move the response in the direction of clamped supports. Still, however, most of my builds end up behaving much, much closer to simple supports than clamped supports.

Eric

Paul,
You're welcome, I hope you find it useful. I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Yes, the model predicts the modes of soft supported panels pretty well.
When I use very soft foam supports, especially when the the foam strip is narrow and discontinuous (say 6 mm by 6 mm every 25 mm), the actual results are very close to the model with simple supports. But I do prefer supports that provides more damping, and such supports move the response in the direction of clamped supports. Still, however, most of my builds end up behaving much, much closer to simple supports than clamped supports.

Eric
I remember the time when most people here were against damping and clamped supports. hmmmm

Pointless is arguing about definition semantics it does not help one build a better panel. Or does it? lol
Pointless in that your videos of carpet with some sound in the background for sure doesn't help anyone to build a better panel. Who cares what you come up with if you're not willing to share your findings. How the hell do we even know that's not some box speakers playing. So again mate, who cares?

Maybe you could start your own thread and call it "Carpet Music: The Ultra Secret Magic Mystery Panels...Don't Ask".

Toddincabo,
Hey, now! It's Christmas! If you don't like his videos, don't watch them, but bad-mouthing him is not in the spirit of this forum, or am I missing something here?
Oh I wasn't bad mouthing the guy, just stating fact. I thought the entire spirit of the thread was to share with everyone what it is we learn from trial and error to help someone DIY some panels they are happy with, or am I missing something?

I have a strong suspicion (which he'll never admit) along with another here that he has been on this thread before and left all in a huff because no one would listen to him. In fact, he would only throw out little hints while refusing to actually show his work so nobody really cared what he had to say.

No malice here. I hate to block someone but have recently been informed on how to do just that on this thread. I come here to relax and learn, if this is indeed the same person the relax part will end really soon, you'll see. Then block I must.

Not sharing on a DIY forum just seems wrong in every way. It doesn't even make sense, why even post. Why not go somewhere else to post meaningless videos that only benefits the uploader's ego or whatever is all I'm asking.

Cheers and a Happy Holidays to all and theirs.

Reactions: 1 users