A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Good move... I've played around with that... Just be aware that it may add a bit of a hollow note to the sound.
Actually, I found that I had to leave a hole about 150mm dia at the exciter location to mitigate that, which obviously won't work for your purpose.
Again, I'll be interested in the results
Eucy

Last edited:
On this forum we are often talking about the concept of damping. People will say for example that they did such and such which had some net effect that they attributed to a difference in damping. But it occurred to me that while we often talk about damping, rarely if ever does anyone include test results with clear, direct, evidence that whatever change they have made actually does increase (or reduce) damping. In such cases, how are we to know that it was truly damping that caused the change observed, rather than simply an increase in panel mass, or a change in the constraints that simply shifted the natural frequencies, rather than actually damping anything?

In this and following posts, I want to share several test methods that can be used to get a pretty clear indication of how much damping is actually increased or decreased by a change in a DML/bending wave speaker design. Spoiler alert, none of these methods is a conventional frequency response curve at 1 meter. This is not to say that damping effects do not show up in such a test, but rather that IME there are much better tests for unambiguously detecting the degree of damping in a DML/bending wave speaker construction. What I'm hoping for is to encourage others of you to try these tests, and maybe even show some results of these tests comparing your own builds, especially when you are trying to increase or decrease damping in your designs. Or even if you simply wonder if some change you made actually influenced damping, even though you never intended for that.

In short, the three tests are:
  • Impedance Test
  • Tap Test
  • Close Mic frequency response
Each test has advantages and disadvantages, but all reveal similar information. There may be other tests that are equally good (or better), but each of these shows clear direct evidence of damping level, and the results all appear to be consistent between them.

I'll start in this post with the Impedance Test, and demonstrate the other two tests in later posts. Unfortunately, the Impedance Test does require a special "impedance rig" described in the REW help file. It's not too hard to build, but it may be more effort than some of you want to spend. If so, don't worry, because you can get much of the same information from either of the other two tests. I'm starting with the Impedance test mainly because the results are the easiest to plot and compare. Some of you may recall a previous post in which I compared the internal damping of various panel materials, here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...s-as-a-full-range-speaker.272576/post-7499940

For the purposes of demonstrating each of these damping test methods, I constructed five different builds using the same panel but supported five different ways. The panel is a three layer composite with a balsa core and carbon fiber skins, about 2.1 mm thick and with dimensions of 16" x 23.5". In all tests the panel was oriented with the long direction horizontal.

The five mountings are as follows:
1.Hanging Free: Panels were hung from wires attached with small alligator clips, about 5" from the two ends of the panel.
2. Four Points 3M Indoor: Panel attached at four points to a frame using 3M Indoor double sided foam mounting tape. The four points were along the two long edges, about 5" in from the corners. The tape pieces were each approximately 3/4" square. This foam tape is quite soft and rebounds quickly when compressed.
3. Full Surround 3M Indoor: Panel attached to frame around the entire perimeter, excluding about 2" from each corner. The width of tape in contact with the frame and panel was about 0.5" wide.
4. Full Surround 3M Extreme: Similar to directly above, except using 3M Extreme double sided mounting tape. This foam tape is much firmer, and has much slower rebound than the 3M Indoor used in mountings 2 and 3 above.
5. Full Surround Poron 92: Similar to 3 and 4 above except the panel was attached to the frame using Poron 92 foam (about 0.25" thick). This foam is very soft, with very slow rebound. The width of foam in contact with the panel and frame was in this case was about 1.25" wide.

Impedance Test Method and Results

I won't go into all the details of conducting an REW impedance test here, as they can be found in the REW help file. But suffice it to say that it is similar to performing a typical frequency sweep test, except that instead of monitoring the speaker SPL via a microphone, REW monitors the electrical impedance of the panel speaker assembly. The result is a plot of impedance vs. frequency that is similar to what you see in the datasheets for conventional drivers or speakers. The big difference, however, is that instead of seeing just a single peak as you would for a convention speaker driver, the impedance curve of a panel speaker typically exhibits many, many impedance peaks. These peaks each occur at a resonance frequency of the driver/panel/mounting system. And, most importantly, the "defining" effect of damping is that damping widens the frequency range over which a particular resonance mode occurs. When damping is very low, each impedance peak will be concentrated around single frequency, and hence appear as a very tall, narrow and pointy peak in the impedance curve. When damping is higher, the impedance peaks widen, and appear as shorter, wider humps with rounded tops, instead of narrow and pointy peaks. The sharpness of the impedance peaks is the feature that best indicates the relative strength of the damping in a panel speaker system.

The overlay plot below compares the impedance curves for the five panel mountings I described above. For each of these, the exciter used was a DEAX VT25-4, mounted at the 0.4/0.4 position using a thin double sided tape.

View attachment 1317868

Discussion

In each of these curves, the lowest frequency peak, which appears between between about 20 and 32 Hz, is mainly due to the exciter itself, and can be largely ignored for the purposes of comparing damping levels in these panels. But all the other peaks are associated with the resonance modes of the panel itself, as hung or mounted.

As expected, the top curve (Hanging Free) exhibits very sharp peaks, indicating very low damping levels, as expected. Similarly, the second curve from the top (Four Points...) exhibits almost equally sharp peaks, and again indicating very low damping. Even the third curve, despite having been mounted to the frame virtually all the way around the perimeter, still exhibits pretty sharp peaks. Clearly not as sharp as the previous two, but still quite sharp. The fourth curve (Full Surround -3M Extreme) finally shows significant spreading of the impedance peaks, with rounded tops, indicating a clear increase in damping from the previous builds. Finally, the bottom curve (Full Surround - Poron 92) shows even more spreading of the impedance peaks, indicating the greatest level of damping in this set.

Here are a few final notes regarding exciter placement for this test. One is that the height of the peaks (not just the sharpness) is also an indicator of damping (the higher the peaks the lower the damping is). But be aware also that the height of each peak on an individual curve is also determined largely by the location of the exciter on the panel. That is to say, for a particular panel/frame mounting, if you move the exciter, some peaks will get taller, and others will get shorter. That doesn't mean that moving the exciter decreased the damping for one mode, and increased it for the other. Rather, it simply means that you moved the exciter closer to an antinode of one mode, and closer to a nodal line of the other.

A second note is that you can do this test equally well with the exciter at virtually any position on the panel. As I described above, using a different position will excite some modes more effectively (taller peaks) and others less effectively (shorter peaks), but the overall sharpness or roundness of the peaks will remain virtually the same regardless of the exciter position.

Anybody have any similar impedance results to share? Or want to give it a try?

Eric
Eric. What comes to mind with this is that for each damping level test, you need a frequency response trace to see the effect of the damping, as that in the end is what we need to know
Eucy

Reactions: 1 user
FYI Here's a first review of the Tefra DML speaker, with some picture, mistifying descriptions, and measurements.
Thanks for sharing.
I'd be interested to know what the panel is, but they don't say. Do we already know that (based on the DPK panels?), I have forgotten?
One thing I thought was interesting is the pair of "C" shaped cuts on the back panel around both drivers. I can only imagine that those are to provide some compliance to the driver support.
Eric

Eric. What comes to mind with this is that for each damping level test, you need a frequency response trace to see the effect of the damping, as that in the end is what we need to know
Eucy
Eucy,
Haha, we will get to that in time, you are jumping ahead! But to be clear, that is not really the point of my post. The point is to share measurement tools that improve our basic understanding and level of discourse. Also, as I know you know, the frequency response trace alone is only one measure of performance, so I would say rather, that it is one of the things we need to know.
Eric

I always check the FR with no-smoothing and my 'default' view is 1/24. The peaks are revealed there and one can see how damping reduces their intensities. The impedance test is interesting though, I wish I could see that alongside my FR tests but I don't have the gear or knowledge for it.
Concerning the impedance rig for the impedance test, I do wish someone would build and sell them. I also didn't have the knowledge for it but I managed anyway, with a little help from Christian and others.
But anyway, have no fear, as the Tap Test and Close Mic test are equally good, and even better in some ways, and I'm pretty sure you have the gear required for those. You are on the right track to look at FR without smoothing. Smoothing is basically what damping does, so when you smooth curves, you basically erase the damping effect.
Eric

Thanks for sharing.
I'd be interested to know what the panel is, but they don't say. Do we already know that (based on the DPK panels?), I have forgotten?
One thing I thought was interesting is the pair of "C" shaped cuts on the back panel around both drivers. I can only imagine that those are to provide some compliance to the driver support.
Eric
From this picture on Telegram channel of Mescalatio (same people as Tefra?) I gather that they use Nomex (aramid paper honeycomb) aprox. 4 mm thick. They always used paper for sheeting, but with PU glue instead of epoxy. My panels are also made with nomex/paper, and that seems to work well.
https://t.me/mescalitoacoustics/43

PS I'm not completely sure Tefra also uses this core material. In their older models the cell size of the honeycomb was much bigger.....

Good move... I've played around with that... Just be aware that it may add a bit of a hollow note to the sound.
Actually, I found that I had to leave a hole about 150mm dia at the exciter location to mitigate that, which obviously won't work for your purpose.
Again, I'll be interested in the results
Eucy
I might just use a thin strip across the back, with a bulge to hold the driver. If there's any advantage to a shaped back strip (air spring to reduce reverse phase components) then I might do that. Alternatively, I'll do large cutouts at carefully placed positions, and cover the back with foam or felt to slightly reduce the rear signal.

Yesterday I described the use of an Impedance Test to evaluate the level of damping in a panel speaker. In this post I will describe the use of Tap Testing for the same purpose.

Tap Testing is really a variation of what is often called an Impact Hammer Test which is commonly used by engineers to identify the vibration characteristics of structures, and in particular their natural frequencies of vibration. A Hammer test normally uses a hammer (often with a load cell in the tip) to strike the structure, and an accelerometer to measure the response of the structure. In my Tap Test, I use a stick with a rubber ball on the end as my hammer, and a microphone very close to the panel in place of the accelerometer. Here's my "hammer". (I usually use the rubber ball end but the wood ball end is also useful for driving higher frequencies.)

IMG_5095.jpeg
I described the use of this test previously, in the thread linked below. In that case, the purpose was to identify the natural frequencies of a "free" panel, and use that information to calculate the elastic moduli of the panel material.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...r-dml-design-and-analysis.383567/post-6954047

What I'm describing now is essentially the same test, but used instead to measure damping level. Like for the Impedance Test earlier, I evaluated the same panel in five different mounting conditions. The panel is a three layer composite with a balsa core and carbon fiber skins, about 2.1 mm thick and with dimensions of 16" x 23.5". In all tests the panel was oriented with the long direction horizontal.

The five mountings are as follows:
1.Hanging Free: Panels were hung from wires attached with small alligator clips, about 5" from the two ends of the panel.
2. Four Points 3M Indoor: Panel attached at four points to a frame using 3M Indoor double sided foam mounting tape. The four points were along the two long edges, about 5" in from the corners. The tape pieces were each approximately 3/4" square. This foam tape is quite soft and rebounds quickly when compressed.
3. Full Surround 3M Indoor: Panel attached to frame around the entire perimeter, excluding about 2" from each corner. The width of tape in contact with the frame and panel was about 0.5" wide.
4. Full Surround 3M Extreme: Similar to directly above, except using 3M Extreme double sided mounting tape. This foam tape is much firmer, and has much slower rebound than the 3M Indoor used in mountings 2 and 3 above.
5. Full Surround Poron 92: Similar to 3 and 4 above except the panel was attached to the frame using Poron 92 foam (about 0.25" thick). This foam is very soft, with very slow rebound. The width of foam in contact with the panel and frame was in this case was about 1.25" wide.

Tap Test Method and Results

The Tap Test uses REW but requires only a microphone and my rubber ball hammer for hardware. In fact, you don't even need an exciter. I actually prefer to perform the tap test without an exciter attached, but it can be performed either way. Typically I observe that the exciter will affect the first resonance peak, but has little to no impact on the other peaks. The curves shown below were generated without an exciter attached.

Rather than use the normal SPL frequency sweep measurement, I use the RTA mode of REW. Here are the steps in the test:
  1. Go to RTA Mode and select the following settings: Mode (Spectrum), Smoothing (No Smoothing), FFT Length (128k), Averages (4). The Mode and Smoothing settings are most critical. Other settings for FFT length and Averages may wok equally well.
  2. Place the microphone very close to the face of the panel. I try for about 1/8" (3 mm). Where exactly? Well, it really doesn't matter that much for this test. For these tests I located it in front of the 0.4/0.4 position on the plate.
  3. Activate the RTA by pressing the dark red button on the top right.
  4. Strike the panel with the hammer. Where? Again, it doesn't really matter. For these tests I hit the panel very near to the microphone. How hard? A pretty light tap will work fine, but a little harder will give a stronger cleared response. Free hanging panels are the trickiest, as they start swinging around, and may strike the mic. But if you get the panel swinging just a bit, then strike the panel as is swings toward the mic, with just the right timing you can provide a good impact and keep the panel from hitting the mic. This takes a little practice, but isn't hard.
  5. Watch the REW RTA screen. The readings will jump up when the microphone starts sensing the panel vibrations.
  6. After a few seconds. the RTA curve on the screen will stabilize for a few seconds, and the peaks in the response will become very clear. A few seconds later the readings will fall as the panel vibration slows.
  7. Now that you know how the readings react, strike the panel again but this time when the readings on the screen stabilize at the highest, clearest level, STOP the RTA with the red button in the upper right that you used to activate the RTA in step 3. This will freeze the RTA curve at the moment you stop it.
  8. Press "Save Current" to save the response curve to the main REW screen.
The overlay below shows the results of the Tap test curves for the five different panel mountings:

Damping tap test.jpg

Discussion
I won't go into great detail, but the results show almost exactly the same thing as the Impedance Test results show. Each curve has peaks at each of the resonance frequencies of the panel assembly. The first two curves (from the top down) exhibit very sharp peaks, with a very slight increase in damping for the third curve (Full Surround, 3m Indoor). The lower two show much broader, rounder peaks, indicative of significantly increased damping. One interesting difference is that this test shows not just peaks (like the Impedance Test) but also dips in the frequency response which are likewise sharp with little damping but rounder with more damping.

With respect to the location of the mic and the tapping location, the effect is similar to that of the location of the exciter in the impedance test. That is, choosing different locations for tapping and mic-ing will simply change which modes are driven (and picked up), and hence where along the frequency range the strongest peaks are. But generally it doesn't effect how sharp the peaks are.

The aspects I like best about this test are that it shows the degree of damping equally well as the impedance test, but doesn't require the impedance rig, or even an exciter. As I mentioned above, the other feature I like is that it can also be used to determine the elastic properties of panels.

Eric

Reactions: 2 users
On my panels I use two Xcite 4 drivers, but 2 way active X-over-ed. Bit complicated.
HvdZ,
So you use the two exciters over different frequencies ranges (obviously). What ranges and why? Why not use them both full range?

My panels are also made with nomex/paper, and that seems to work well.
Did you buy it or make it? I can't seem to find it commercially with paper skins already on it. I do have some old Armstrong ceiling speakers with panels like that. I'd like to try more of it if I can find it.
Thanks
Eric

BTW they use this https://doc.soundimports.nl/pdf/brands/Dayton Audio/EX32VBDS-4/dayton-audio-ex32vbds-4-spec-sheet.pdf low freq exciter. Another clever design idea, I think. Because of the steep HF roll off they can use a simple first order high pass X-over for the "tweeter" and leave the "woofer exciter" without any filtering. On my panels I use two Xcite 4 drivers, but 2 way active X-over-ed. Bit complicated.
If I compare the specs it looks more like they are using this PUI exciter:
https://puiaudio.com/product/exciters/asx05408-hd-r

I would also like to know what exciter are they using for the tweeter?

HvdZ,
So you use the two exciters over different frequencies ranges (obviously). What ranges and why? Why not use them both full range?
X over at 630 Hz, power is more or less distributed evenly between the two drivers and the crossoverpoint is still out of the "sensitive" area. When I tried more drivers full range I found it to sound smeared/less nice (to me - please don't accuse me of being a senseless audiophile) than the single exiter. This 2-way solution seems to work for me. BTW I'm now leaning to use just one driver - the extra SPL I get is not very impressive, and not worth the hassle.
Did you buy it or make it? I can't seem to find it commercially with paper skins already on it. I do have some old Armstrong ceiling speakers with panels like that. I'd like to try more of it if I can find it.
Thanks
Eric
Made it, because I couldn't find good materials. It was easier than I had thought. Here's a description of the process (with carbon, but the process is the same) : https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/dml-pa-systems.390363/post-7575541

Cheers, Hans

Last edited:
X over at 630 Hz, power is more or less distributed evenly between the two drivers and the crossoverpoint is still out of the "sensitive" area.
I get it.
Made it, because I couldn't find good materials. It was easier than I had thought. Here's a description of the process (with carbon, but the process is the same) : https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/dml-pa-systems.390363/post-7575541
Thanks. Using enough, but not too much epoxy is a big challenge. Maybe you have seen this video before, but they guy making this nomex "double top" guitar is super meticulous about minimizing the amount of epoxy. He applies it to the nomex only, to accomplish that. Epoxy part starts around 4 minutes in.

Eric

Reactions: 1 users
Concerning the impedance rig for the impedance test, I do wish someone would build and sell them. I also didn't have the knowledge for it but I managed anyway, with a little help from Christian and others.
But anyway, have no fear, as the Tap Test and Close Mic test are equally good, and even better in some ways, and I'm pretty sure you have the gear required for those. You are on the right track to look at FR without smoothing. Smoothing is basically what damping does, so when you smooth curves, you basically erase the damping effect.
Eric
Hello all,
Here is the link to post #10666 showing my impedance test rig. Nothing to be afraid with. There are 2 possible schematics : one uses the output of a power amp, the second an headphone output (refer to REW manual). This second one is more simple to build. It needs "only" a 100 ohm resistor and some connectors (bananas, jack or even crocodile). The main constraint is to have an usb card with headphone out and 2 line in.
If the impedance measurement is not as crucial as with conventional loudspeakers, it is very informative as you show it Eric.
We have few of those measurements but what I have in mind is the impedance measurements I saw out of this thread (I don't remember where...) is the peaks were more similar to the poron test than the free hanging one.
To come back to the impedance test rig, send me a PM for help.
Christian

Eucy,
Haha, we will get to that in time, you are jumping ahead! But to be clear, that is not really the point of my post. The point is to share measurement tools that improve our basic understanding and level of discourse. Also, as I know you know, the frequency response trace alone is only one measure of performance, so I would say rather, that it is one of the things we need to know.
Eric
Hello,
I am probably jumping ahead to... To have something closer to what we hear, my suggestion is not to use the standard FR with its time window in hundreds of ms which includes the room reflections but more to use the spectrogram (any wavelet version). The lack of damping or the excess of resonance are easy to see on it.
Eric, one thing maybe to recall is that in the impedance test, a peak is a mode (a frequency of resonance), the height and the width are the image of the damping as you explained but all the modes are not acoustically productive. Only the odd, odd modes are on axis productive (other modes have null mean velocity over the panel surface). Out of axis or on axis in "HF" it is no more true. So at this step we can't link the smoothness of the resulting FR to the quantity of peaks in the impedance test... Maybe later or not at all?
An other remark Eric is that, recently I made tests with different suspension arrangements (sorry I didn't take the time of impedance measurement) but I had a look to 2 others views : the spectrogram (you already know it is my favorite tool) and the distortion. I have no detailed synthesis but keeping the arrangements that have a low energy storage ( no long "tails" in the spectrogram) and no distortion peaks leads to full (or maybe near full) perimeter suspension. I think the distortion aspect was previously mentioned by André. Do you have the same view?
Christian

Discussion
I won't go into great detail, but the results show almost exactly the same thing as the Impedance Test results show. Each curve has peaks at each of the resonance frequencies of the panel assembly. The first two curves (from the top down) exhibit very sharp peaks, with a very slight increase in damping for the third curve (Full Surround, 3m Indoor). The lower two show much broader, rounder peaks, indicative of significantly increased damping. One interesting difference is that this test shows not just peaks (like the Impedance Test) but also dips in the frequency response which are likewise sharp with little damping but rounder with more damping.

With respect to the location of the mic and the tapping location, the effect is similar to that of the location of the exciter in the impedance test. That is, choosing different locations for tapping and mic-ing will simply change which modes are driven (and picked up), and hence where along the frequency range the strongest peaks are. But generally it doesn't effect how sharp the peaks are.

The aspects I like best about this test are that it shows the degree of damping equally well as the impedance test, but doesn't require the impedance rig, or even an exciter. As I mentioned above, the other feature I like is that it can also be used to determine the elastic properties of panels.

Eric
Yes the first goal of a tap test is to evaluate the elasticity parameters of a sample. So I did it on a 3mm square flute corrugated polypropylene sample. The self damping of the material (not the level of reflection resulting from the peripheral suspension) was so high that it was impossible to detect the modes. If it is not in the top the materials here, it produces nevertheless a sound. Maybe to be classified in the "too damped material" category.
More recently, I started testing a material with a not so good reputation here : the clear polystyrene (or is it acrylic or even something in this family) used to protect picture in a frame. I directly made a test panel without taking the time of a tap test. Mistake! Some information are now missing (density, Young modulus...).
So yes to the impedance test, and to the tap test.
Christian

Just looking at this right picture, I was wondering the reason of the tape shape which is almost a disk which is not the usual shape. The answer is "it is a model with the interchangeability feature". Then came a second question : what is then the behavior in that case of the central area and the consequence on the panel. There is no more possibility of drum effect. Are such exciters able of HF?

Leob.
I was referring to this recording of two exciters situated next to each other.
As can be seen in the video, one exciter is having problems, while the other is rock solid.
These exciters in these positions are unable to work in tandem.
Are there any positions that will allow them to work together in harmony, which is essential for low end performance.
What are the exact positions of your exciters on your panels, so that I can test them on my eps panels.
I intended to start with the nxt positions first, are your positions similar?
Steve.
Tried to get a decent drawing out of Fusion but not so easy :\
I did make this one earlier, it is a bit messy:
1717584870112.png

Been very busy and will be for the next couple of months. Have to get the system ready for party middle of July, and after that I'm driving down to Hungary for vacation and a gig.
Have done some testing of the plates with the subs outdoors, and will do some more before the party. Sounds amazing! X-over at 110Hz with both FR and phase looking perfect in that region.

While plates does sound great, especially with some EQ, I'm not really happy with the FR. Some 10dB swings and a dip around 200Hz which also has increased distortion, and boosting that region makes it more severe. So I think I should ideally had another iteration with the placement of the plate suspension to see if I can get rid of that issue, however I made about half the plates already. But it is not a major issue, and still very happy with how the system is turning out.

Will post videos and measurements when this summers adventures are over...

Reactions: 3 users