A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Some time back there was a favourable review in the U.K. of a speaker from a start-up company that used a stretched Mylar diaphragm with an exciter glued to the diaphragm. The inventor talked about sound propagation by transverse waves like ripples on the diaphragm surface. The company went under but maybe the principle was viable. I can’t remember the name of the company or the magazine due to senility but maybe someone else can.

Neat idea to use canvas art frames. I wonder if the membranes are acting more pistonic now vs as a DML. DML requires some solidness to vibrate like a solid body - which is how the distributed modes are generated. What the canvas frame and exciter resemble, to me, is like a large membrane condenser mic (but with dynamic transfixed vs capacitive).

The wooden circle is the rigid part. I don't imagine there are many distributed modes in a circle that small. This creates the mid/high sounds. The circle is connected to the canvas which vibrates the canvas in the horizontal mode, thus producing the lower frequency sounds that are not easily possible in a rigid material, and damping the outer edge and opposite surface of the wooden circle. There is no pistonic action happening. Think of it as shaking a rug..

Build one, X.. Just mount the wooden circle with the exciter in the center of the canvas.. Trust me, You'll love it!

Some time back there was a favourable review in the U.K. of a speaker from a start-up company that used a stretched Mylar diaphragm with an exciter glued to the diaphragm. The inventor talked about sound propagation by transverse waves like ripples on the diaphragm surface. The company went under but maybe the principle was viable. I can’t remember the name of the company or the magazine due to senility but maybe someone else can.

Melior one speakers.

The wooden circle is the rigid part. I don't imagine there are many distributed modes in a circle that small. This creates the mid/high sounds. The circle is connected to the canvas which vibrates the canvas in the horizontal mode, thus producing the lower frequency sounds that are not easily possible in a rigid material, and damping the outer edge and opposite surface of the wooden circle. There is no pistonic action happening. Think of it as shaking a rug..

Build one, X.. Just mount the wooden circle with the exciter in the center of the canvas.. Trust me, You'll love it!

I will vouch for you as I have 16X20 canvas frames and it works with the most amount of bass Ive ever heard and it sounds very natural across the frequency spectrum. Although I've had these canvas frames for a long time Ive never fathomed to put a exciter on it due to thinking it would be too soft. I was going to try the Melior one technique using mylar but never got around to it but it seems the canvas works great and the thing is its SO SIMPLE. These canvas panels have the best bass Ive ever heard from any panel and they sound supurb across the whole frequency spectrum.

THANK YOU FOR THIS DISCOVERY. I will have to rethink my whole design concepts now.

Everyone I think this is the PERFECT panel material that will satisfy everyone as it has the warm tones of wood but good spl levels with all around natural balance. Not to mentions is CHEAP and SIMPLE!!!!!!

Offgridkindofguy your innovative genius is awesome.

This is a great idea! I never thought of using a stretched membrane as opposed to a rigid panel. My wife is an artist and we have dozens of the cheapo Michael's brand canvas frames lying around.

I'm also curious to see the effect of different materials stretched out over frames. Mylar is one. Fabrics? Maybe different types of paper? What about painted canvas? Different paints? Sealants?

How would it work if the exciter is placed on the frame itself?

The circle the exciter is mounted to is key. That's where the mid/high frequencies are generated. I figure that response could be adjusted with a larger/smaller circumference but keep it thin to maintain good SPL..

I'm sure painted canvas would make a difference but it's in the experimental stage. If you have the resources, start building and add to the concept! :D

I will vouch for you as I have 16X20 canvas frames and it works with the most amount of bass Ive ever heard and it sounds very natural across the frequency spectrum. Although I've had these canvas frames for a long time Ive never fathomed to put a exciter on it due to thinking it would be too soft. I was going to try the Melior one technique using mylar but never got around to it but it seems the canvas works great and the thing is its SO SIMPLE. These canvas panels have the best bass Ive ever heard from any panel and they sound supurb across the whole frequency spectrum.

THANK YOU FOR THIS DISCOVERY. I will have to rethink my whole design concepts now.

Everyone I think this is the PERFECT panel material that will satisfy everyone as it has the warm tones of wood but good spl levels with all around natural balance. Not to mentions is CHEAP and SIMPLE!!!!!!

Offgridkindofguy your innovative genius is awesome.

Thanks..
I'm always in search of the holy grail for cheap and quality sound and I just can't stay in the box.. ;)

My inspiration was the...
Tectonic TEBM65C20F-8 3-1/2" BMR Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Awesome discovery OffGrid. Thanks for checking it out DMLBES. Bonus is that one can use paintings and this would look just like artwork. I wonder if it works well with stuffing on the back and mounted next to wall like a regular painting.

Very cool. I will be going to Michaels craft stores rbis weekend. What is thickness and diameter of disc? Could it be a rectangle? So the disc is acting as the small mid/high range DML. The canvas is the woofer/subwoofer.

I see you used 16x20. Would larger size like make deeper bass?

5 pack for $19 on Amazon, that’s a great price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KY1Z5WW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_c8x6DbRWY0WNR

Last edited:
Awesome discovery OffGrid. Thanks for checking it out DMLBES. Bonus is that one can use paintings and this would look just like artwork. I wonder if it works well with stuffing on the back and mounted next to wall like a regular painting.

Very cool. I will be going to Michaels craft stores rbis weekend. (**1)
What is thickness and diameter of disc? Could it be a rectangle? So the disc is acting as the small mid/high range DML. The canvas is the woofer/subwoofer.

(**2) I see you used 16x20. Would larger size like make deeper bass?

5 pack for $19 on Amazon, that’s a great price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KY1Z5WW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_c8x6DbRWY0WNR

Thanks, X..
As for your questions..

1- The wooden disk is ~1.5 times the thickness of a U.S. quarter. (And very rigid) The diameter is 3.25 inches. This part needs more research but the parts I used was a great guess! Maybe a thinner piece of wood could increase SPL but I'd watch this. It may increase the mid/high response but it wouldn't increase the bass possibility. The units I built have a decent balance but there's always room for improvement. The ones I built were an hour throw together, strictly from a mental picture I had in my head..

2- I don't know if a larger size would be better or not. I'd be a bit reluctant to go too big because it could cause too much reaction and just "Fart Out", per se. Remember the canvas isn't rigid and I believe that too much stuff flappin' around may not be a good thing..

I haven't ventured far with this idea yet. I was totally astounded with the results and I just had to put it out here for everyone to nit-pic it.. ;)

Getting back to basics, perhaps the shape of a circle might be something to consider. Remember the ripples in the water thing? I believe this theory may hold very true in this design. There's 2 things going on.. The wooden circle is one resonator and the surround is another and the source is in the center. Just another brain fart with simple physics in mind. Perhaps a larger canvas with a circular damper in the center around the motor? Maybe a Cornu Spiral horn added to the back?

I just bought 3 different sizes of canvas frames from Ross's. The largest canvas frame is 16X20 that comes in a 6 pack for around 12 bucks, so basically 2 bucks each. The mediums sized frames 12X16 were around 12 bucks in a pack of 7. The smaller frames were around 9 bucks in a pack of 6.

This is what I have found out when testing out each of the three different sizes of frames. The smallest frame has the best bass. Why because the canvas is the tightest due to the small canvas area. The larger the canvas area the looser it becomes. The canvas stretching strength ratio is already predetermined. I was thinking of redoing the canvas and stretching it more to make it tighter but the frame is flimsy and I don't think it could take anymore pressure before it collapses. Canvas is held in place with staples. So my next idea is to use glue to glue the front side of the canvas to the frame to make it tighter. The larger the canvas area the tighter the canvas needs to be stretched over the frame. This is one of the reasons why its tricky and hard to mount mylar in the melior one loudspeakers. If you stretch the mylar to much it could tear so there is probably a limit in how large an area the mylar or even cloth canvas can be before it loses its tension. Its not as easy as I first thought it would be.

I just bought 3 different sizes of canvas frames from Ross's. The largest canvas frame is 16X20 that comes in a 6 pack for around 12 bucks, so basically 2 bucks each. The mediums sized frames 12X16 were around 12 bucks in a pack of 7. The smaller frames were around 9 bucks in a pack of 6.

This is what I have found out when testing out each of the three different sizes of frames. The smallest frame has the best bass. Why because the canvas is the tightest due to the small canvas area. The larger the canvas area the looser it becomes. The canvas stretching strength ratio is already predetermined. I was thinking of redoing the canvas and stretching it more to make it tighter but the frame is flimsy and I don't think it could take anymore pressure before it collapses. Canvas is held in place with staples. So my next idea is to use glue to glue the front side of the canvas to the frame to make it tighter. The larger the canvas area the tighter the canvas needs to be stretched over the frame. This is one of the reasons why its tricky and hard to mount mylar in the melior one loudspeakers. If you stretch the mylar to much it could tear so there is probably a limit in how large an area the mylar or even cloth canvas can be before it loses its tension. Its not as easy as I first thought it would be.

Thank You for taking your time and effort to experience what I have! Thank You for sharing!

The tightness of the canvas can also depend on how much it has been primed when you purchase it. If the canvas isn’t as tight as you’d like it you can add a layer of gesso primer as its purpose is to tighten and stiffen the canvas.

What is Gesso: Everything You Need to Know About How to Prime Canvas — Art is Fun

Thanks for that! I wonder if gesso is a good substitute for the white glue mixture we use on foam panels and whether it dries even harder. It nice that it can come in colors as well as sprays.