A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

A picture of the current setup...
20220817_112957.jpg

Hilbren.
Dml does not operate the same as a pistonic speaker in the low end.
Various panels can produce frequencies down to 40hz with my exciters.
What is the size of the panel you are thinking about.
I have not tried 2 exciters on a panel in stereo, but see no reason why it should not work.
But obviously a small panel will not have as much stereo separation.
Steve.
Spedge, the idea was to build a b&o beoplay a9. So the size of the stereo DML would be 70 cm/ 27 inch. with a compact TL-woofer (duo voicecoil) on the backside. Additionally maybe some tweeters on the side to support the highest frequencies.

Lets say you were going to use (6) six exciters rated at 4 ohm\25 watts to drive a large 4x4 panel. Would you wire (2) lots of 3 in series then wire the lots of 3 in parallel to get 6 ohms. Or would you wire (2) units in parallel three times and wire the result in series to get 6 ohms? Which would perform better as each exciter is rated at 25 watts, which results in higher power handling and sensitivity?
I'm assuming 90dB sensitivity (given 2Vrms @1khz into approx 3.5Re per driver)
I've added sketches for clarity where necessary. Loads highlighted in red are not a good idea. Numbers are as follows:
  • 2 units only in parallel = 94.6dBSPL, 1.6r load, 2 x 25W = 50W nominal power handling.
  • 3 units in parallel = 97.6dBSPL, 1.1r load, 3 x 25wW = 75W nominal power handling.
  • 4 units in series-parallel = 93.8dBSPL, 3.5r load, 4 x 25W = 100W power handling.
1662378289386.png

• 2 string of 3 units in SERIES, = 93.5dBSPL, 5.4r load, 6 x 25W = 150W power handling
1662378533870.png

• 3 strings of 2 units in series = 97.1dBSPL, 2.4r load, 6 x 25W = 150W power handling
1662378764461.png

The most efficient is obviously the last one which delivers 97dB/W and can handle 150W

The "power handling" tell you what size amp you would use IF you were driving pure sine-waves into whatever load your configuration presents. But a music signal, driven at maximum output power, will only deliver about half that wattage into the driver. Therefore, you can safely double the size of the amplifiers AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT CLIP THEM.

Does this help?

ddlooping.
On pages 179 to 180 I made some recordings of my very old and cheap surround sound setup in my front room , but replaced the normal little speakers with small card panels.
For some reason, I noticed the speed of the blade runner is a little fast ?
But big Ben sounds OK.
To give you an idea of what to expect.
Use headphones to listen, no download needed on these recordings.
Steve.

Hi all :)

This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find an answer:
- Could a long and narrow DML be used as a center speaker, placed horizontally under a 65" TV?

Edit : ... with a subwoofer
On page 304 post #6073 I explain how I made my center channel DML's to go along with my right and left DML's. The 2 centers are 8" x 14", over-under TV. The thin stretchy material I used to cover them to quell the highs a bit could be of any color or design of your choice. I made two short ones instead of one long because it just worked out best for mounting in my situation and it allowed me to wire my two 4ohm into a single 8ohm. I always wanted to try that over-under configuration anyway. Working great so far, voices sound very clear.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, this is another project that I've finally been able to get around to!

v5SVbroc2XexVhXgviM1BVFKAGLfvTszDmDJQ0qhHcBOcnlwIMRs1N5xF9XtGD7u-7jQUu0In3cANsOUF2ajX0t9W-boq2AJy-SaafZg5c32BJBqxuKxFaHVSnR2HFDE646mN4Eu4WI=w800

So this became a fun family project, where my daughter offered to paint the canvases with acrylic paint. We sealed it with Gesso, and then she went to work with her designs.

I noted in the thread that 'drum tight' was ideal, so I jammed sticks in between the frame and the canvas, and made sure that both were 'tuned' the same.

I also noted that they sounded best, I think, 6-7 inches from the wall. Initially, I had them mounting on picture hooks, and as one can imagine they sounded a bit strange, so fortunately for me my wife let me get a pair of 6"x8" shelf brackets that I could hang them from. In this case, 6" still wasn't right, but flipping the bracket to allow the speaker to hang 8" from the wall gave the best response.

They're perfect for a living room. Great voice intelligibility, and Bass that makes you think there's a sub tucked away somewhere. I'm using one of the Lepai LP2020A (if I remember correctly) amplifiers, so there's nothing special driving them. I'd highly recommend these for a listening room, and the WAF is very high...to the point that, dare I say, my wife was excited!

The only place in the build I used silicone was for mounting the wooden disc to the centre of the canvas. I'd been working on another speaker project, and so had a hot glue gun to hand. I used two layers of craft sticks on the back to brace the exciter, and added a little semi-triangular brace between them and the frame.

jxYo1iiFK1p3GnmEVTE6oixu4kwZbTO1HojC5LVQjeAHbrOY8P3qw2vFkJi9_Hx-ACmHVvRdwNZxt5W1cgg54mUryeFHivp8TG392nquYlsrsO2ZPwhOaMxAprMRK3tE5q13UXKJQ_E=w800
On this post by unaHm he talks about his experience with the distance from the wall , while using the canvas panels.
This can be a good full range panel if mounted and designed properly.
Steve.

tom waits again.

ark971.
ive got a bit of a catch 22 situation with this little veneer panel.
every time i coat the panel in pva it bows heavily , looks more like a propeller !!
which in turn causes more cracks .
im going to try taping it down flat then applying the pva, is there anything similar to pva that does not bow wood?
anyway i do have the first recording i made which was for my own use,so is a bit rough.
when i moved to the back of the room ,i had a large amount of blankets and quilts on my right which heavily damped the room sound ,which is very noticeable when i move forwards to about 3metres and suddenly the room becomes alive again.
but if you turn up the volume in the back position it still sounds pretty good.
the gritty sound in his voice comes across so well ,i am now in love with this track, and similar ones on this CD.
his recordings on this CD are very raw and basic with a lot of distortion used on some tracks, so ive never played it much.
it just happened to fall on the floor as i was trying to clear space at the back of the room, to store my tools.
this is probably the best this panel is going to sound, what with all the pva im having to apply, so i thought i might as well use this recording.
does it need the soft dome in the middle? im not sure,but suspect without a comparison ,that the answer is yes.
not because it needs a dome to produce the high frequency (i have never found ply to be short of HF), but because it helps sort out some of the problems with the exciter and mounting?
hope you enjoy the recording.
steve.
This is also a very good sounding recording, even though I am walking around the room.
Steve.

last tom waits

xrk971.
on the first recording ,take it with me ,i had to lower the volume of the veneer panel as the piano was setting off the problems with splitting and cracking surfaces .
but then i noticed that something else was also distorting , the low frequency from the TLS was causing at least 2 items in the room to start buzzing (still not located ).
so ive had to lower the TLS which only run below 300hz,so his voice does not sound as deep(would you believe )as it would, which i think is much nicer and gives more warmth and closeness ?

the second recording, filipino box spring hog,i recorded to show that i wasnt just playing soft music , because the panel could not handle it.
i had one finger in one ear and turned my head to one side when playing this, and i was well back in the room, as it was quite painfully loud :eek:
obviously you do not have to listen to it this loud :D
sorry they are in the wrong order, i had to change ,take it with me , to 128 , as it was too large, even though at my end it said it was not ?
steve.
I made a very loud torture track to show how loud the small panels could go without sounding stressed.
Steve.

Late last night I suddenly decided to make up a thin sheet aluminium panel ,it is approx 10x13inches and less than 1cm thick.
I glued 2 sheets together with Evo-stik as the spray mount had gone off over the years .
The Evo-stik was getting pretty old as well and was not as thin as it used to be.
But it did the job.
I used it to glue on the exciter too, as I was in a hurry, it was getting late.
Pic 1 is the panel.
Pic 2 is the response at 3m.
Pic 3 is with the TLs xo at 220hz.
Pic 4 is the panel at 1m.
The panels will be xo at 90hz as this exciter has problems with rubbing coils.
You could get away with a 160hz sub roll off, I think.
In my room anyway.
Steve.

Attachments

• 20220906_131002.jpg
    20220906_131002.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220906_130451.jpg
    20220906_130451.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220906_130538.jpg
    20220906_130538.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220906_130856.jpg
    20220906_130856.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 65
The response is not as smooth as the large sheet I used to have , but I guess there is more dml action going on on this smaller panel ?
I will hopefully get time later on to make a recording.
At the moment I have this panel running next to the graphite eps, with the eps turned down 15db on my digital xo to match the sound output.
Steve.

this is the ali panel on the right,at 1m.
this was as loud as i could play the music as the panel breaks up .
i used a higher xo ,it could be the exciter problem i mentioned or even the glue being old , but it does not like going very loud.
apart from that it sounds ok.
steve.

Attachments

• 2alisheets_06-09-22_17-51-24-655_06-09-22_18-01-41-923_.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 47
Fascinating thread.

I haven't read all 326 pages ha... does anyone know whether any group delay measurements have been posted?

EDIT: Apologies, just found some on page 320. Looks like the challenge here is getting the panel to "return to zero" effectively.
Hello Drkmatr,
Are you refering to post 6394 ?
I like spectrogram that are based on wavelet. The delays are quite easily visible and the need of damping also. I am not used to extract group delay. If you think it has an interest, it might be possible to extract it from different measurements made with REW.

On page 304 post #6073 I explain how I made my center channel DML's to go along with my right and left DML's. The 2 centers are 8" x 14", over-under TV. The thin stretchy material I used to cover them to quell the highs a bit could be of any color or design of your choice. I made two short ones instead of one long because it just worked out best for mounting in my situation and it allowed me to wire my two 4ohm into a single 8ohm. I always wanted to try that over-under configuration anyway. Working great so far, voices sound very clear.
Thanks, I'll check it out :)

I don't think DML speakers have much issue with group delay. There are no ports with alternative paths for different frequencies and less crossovers.
However, when analysing responses, DML does have an issue with decay times, which is not surprising due to the modal aspect. A highly dampened material would give a more accurate impulse response with reduced decay, but hardly no sound.

So I would disagree that the goal is to get the panel to return to zero as quickly as possible. If DML could be made to have an accurate impulse response it would sound like a regular speaker.
With regular speakers any modes or time domain smearing are issues one would like to cure, but with DML it is features of how the speakers works, and something to control instead of avoid.

Reactions: 3 users