A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

More details:

Panels are 12" x 48" 5-ply poplar plywood, 0.23" thick.
Frame is 1" x 6" poplar, and includes a brace on the backside.
Panel is mounted to frame with 3M Extreme double sided mounting tape, 3/8" wide, around the entire perimeter (except about 1 inch from each corner)
Exciter is DAEX25VT-4 (one each panel).
Exciter is offset from the panel center by 1.25" across the width and 6" along the length. A piece of EPDM foam is placed between the exciter support and the back of the exciter.

D226A0F3-A109-403B-8729-BB52FAF9FFEB.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
And some measurements:

Here are the frequency responses. For each speaker individually, and with a sub added (purple)
new poplar.jpg

And especially for Christian, here is the Spectrogram (wavelet), for the right speaker alone, which I think shows that the resonances are reasonably well controlled, but not completely eliminated.

Eric

right speaker new poplar.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
And some measurements:

Here are the frequency responses. For each speaker individually, and with a sub added (purple)
View attachment 1090249

And especially for Christian, here is the Spectrogram (wavelet), for the right speaker alone, which I think shows that the resonances are reasonably well controlled, but not completely eliminated.

Eric

View attachment 1090252
Great looking build Eric ! Thanks for posting all the info. Wondering what sub your using with them.
Thanks Pete

pixel1
Sono d'accordo con Leob che le bucce devono avere uno spessore di pochi decimi di mm. Quindi la tua potrebbe davvero essere una buona scoperta. L'hai acquistato online e, in caso affermativo, hai un link da condividere? Sarei interessato a vedere se forniscono ulteriori dettagli (densità, ecc.).
Eric
https://www.trcompositi.com/shop/lastre-su-misura/lastra-sandwich/
pixel1
I agree with Leob that the skins should only be a few tenths of mm thick. So yours may indeed be a good find. Did you buy it online, and if so, do you have a link you could share? I'd be interested to see if they give any more details (density, etc).
Eric
this is the site, it is in Italy where I live, you can choose both the thickness of the carbon and the nomex separately.Of course if you want you can contact them or if you have difficulty with the language I can do it for you https://www.trcompositi.com/shop/lastre-su-misura/lastra-sandwich/

hello and thanks for the reply, the thickness of the carbon is 0.3mm + HoneyComb 3mm, I paid 85 euros.
I will follow your advice for exciters, if there are no more powerful. Then if all goes well I would like to get a suitable amplifier with DSP to equalize the whole thing. I accept any suggestions
Ok, that will hopefully be good plates. Very interested to hear what results you get!

Exciters seems quite easy to drive, and I'm using some cheap Chinese Sanway amps with built in DSP:
https://www.china-sanway.com/D2S-2CH-900W-DSP-Built-in-Amplifier-Module-Class-D-pd353583.html
They worked really well for when using as a PA system, but for home use the fans become a bit annoying. They are temperature controlled and start silent but even if amps are just idling, eventually they start ramping up.

Currently the plan is to replace them with a separate LSMS unit and regular amps since I'm leaning towards making some passive subs since it seems hard to find plate amps delivering enough power for running powerful woofers. This will also mean I can run the plates on a smaller but more quiet amp at home where I don't really need that much power.

Ok, that will hopefully be good plates. Very interested to hear what results you get!

Exciters seems quite easy to drive, and I'm using some cheap Chinese Sanway amps with built in DSP:
https://www.china-sanway.com/D2S-2CH-900W-DSP-Built-in-Amplifier-Module-Class-D-pd353583.html
They worked really well for when using as a PA system, but for home use the fans become a bit annoying. They are temperature controlled and start silent but even if amps are just idling, eventually they start ramping up.

Currently the plan is to replace them with a separate LSMS unit and regular amps since I'm leaning towards making some passive subs since it seems hard to find plate amps delivering enough power for running powerful woofers. This will also mean I can run the plates on a smaller but more quiet amp at home where I don't really need that much power.
hello sorry for the english translation.
The fan noise is not a problem, then I was looking for something to integrate directly into the speaker, my purpose is exclusively as a PA and to maximize the maximum number of exciters that make sense, from what I see tectonic uses 4 with the addition of a ribbon driver for highs. It seems to me that it also has a model without a dml only ribbon driver. a first phase. This if the preliminary tests go well, for this reason at this stage I would like to keep aligned with the tecnonic specifications.

hello sorry for the english translation.
The fan noise is not a problem, then I was looking for something to integrate directly into the speaker, my purpose is exclusively as a PA and to maximize the maximum number of exciters that make sense, from what I see tectonic uses 4 with the addition of a ribbon driver for highs. It seems to me that it also has a model without a dml only ribbon driver. a first phase. This if the preliminary tests go well, for this reason at this stage I would like to keep aligned with the tecnonic specifications.
I think the Tectonic plates with a ribbon tweeter is an older model. The current model is DML500 which covers full range without.

I also reasoned that since they should know DML for PA applications, Tectonic should be good to use as a guideline. I did get the materials to make carbon/nomex plates, but settled for EPS plates for now, at least until I have mastered vacuum bagging well enough to do the plates well without wasting a lot of expensive materials.

If you want plate amps with DSP on a budget, the Sanways must be hard to beat. Hypex is more expensive and doesn't have as powerful units. Powersoft and pascal only sells OEM. If going with a separate LSMS unit and rack amps there are a lot more options of course.

I would compare loudness of your carbon plates to a high density EPS. I suspect that 0.3mm skins are still a bit too thick to give optimal efficiency, and for a PA you really want that. I think that means polystyrene foam or custom made composites, but can very well be wrong.

I think the Tectonic plates with a ribbon tweeter is an older model. The current model is DML500 which covers full range without.

I also reasoned that since they should know DML for PA applications, Tectonic should be good to use as a guideline. I did get the materials to make carbon/nomex plates, but settled for EPS plates for now, at least until I have mastered vacuum bagging well enough to do the plates well without wasting a lot of expensive materials.

If you want plate amps with DSP on a budget, the Sanways must be hard to beat. Hypex is more expensive and doesn't have as powerful units. Powersoft and pascal only sells OEM. If going with a separate LSMS unit and rack amps there are a lot more options of course.

I would compare loudness of your carbon plates to a high density EPS. I suspect that 0.3mm skins are still a bit too thick to give optimal efficiency, and for a PA you really want that. I think that means polystyrene foam or custom made composites, but can very well be wrong.
i intend to follow tectonic guidelines for this i got the 50x40 panel with 03mm thick, when in youtube movies you see the tectonic seller showing the panel looks very close to what i expect i bought. which exciter and how many will you put in your project? do you think tectonic uses particular exciters not for sale?

I asked the company for all the specifications, they sent them immediately, I hope they can help you
pixel1,
Thanks. Those are specs of the nomex core, but what I am actually interested in is the properties of the finished panels, especially regarding their bending stiffness or weight per unit area. I can make some estimates of those based on the information you have already shared, but it would be interesting to see what the manufacturer might claim for these properties, for comparison.
Thanks,
Eric

Mostly I've been building individual speakers as one-off prototypes that get mesaured and then disassembled. But I decided I like the "high aspect ratio" concept enough to go ahead and build up a permanent pair. The main objective really was just to make a pair of working speakers for my basement speaker "lab". Since they werent going to be "on display" in our main living area, my original plan was to not work too hard on the finishing/woodworking aspects, and just kind of throw together a half decent looking pair. In the end, however, I spent a lot more time on the finishing aspects, and now I'm not sorry I did since I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.
Eric

View attachment 1090213 View attachment 1090216 View attachment 1090214 View attachment 1090215 View attachment 1090224 View attachment 1090225

Here are a few pics from the construction:

View attachment 1090218 View attachment 1090219 View attachment 1090220 View attachment 1090221 View attachment 1090222
Very nice realization Eric. They might sit in our living room with no difficulty (I am allowed to have some prototypes here if not yo ugly of course!)
Would you mind to communicate some basic characteristics as listed in the "history file", any information that might help to follow your example, some measurements, listening comments?
In the history file : membrane (dimension, material, thickness, coating...), exciter, exciter/membrane interface (VHB, epoxy, PVA...), exciter position, frame depth... and what is my current main question : suspension (what, where).
I didn't understand up to now that you had "only one-off proto". I hope you will enjoy the incredible unique imaging of this pair spending time with your favorite records. Here DML have been in daily use (running full range because no EQ neither no sub ready) for almost one year... even probably far to be perfect or at least at their best, I have difficulty to come back to most standard sound (I don't have "hi-end" loudspeaker and my 3 way which were performing not to bad died - mid suspension broken). My wife adopted them also. The speakers that are not here, only the sound stage. Really fun.
Thank you for your post.
Christian
PS : sorry Eric, I think I add a problem of refreshment; Forget for the questions you seems already having answered. Keep the congrats.

https://www.trcompositi.com/shop/lastre-su-misura/lastra-sandwich/

this is the site, it is in Italy where I live, you can choose both the thickness of the carbon and the nomex separately.Of course if you want you can contact them or if you have difficulty with the language I can do it for you https://www.trcompositi.com/shop/lastre-su-misura/lastra-sandwich/
Thank you for the link Pixel1. No need for the language, the site is in French... ah, ah... and by the way, English also :)

More details:

Panels are 12" x 48" 5-ply poplar plywood, 0.23" thick.
Frame is 1" x 6" poplar, and includes a brace on the backside.
Panel is mounted to frame with 3M Extreme double sided mounting tape, 3/8" wide, around the entire perimeter (except about 1 inch from each corner)
Exciter is DAEX25VT-4 (one each panel).
Exciter is offset from the panel center by 1.25" across the width and 6" along the length. A piece of EPDM foam is placed between the exciter support and the back of the exciter.

View attachment 1090230

Hi Eric
A very attractive build... Well done!
I like the contrast between the frame and panel, and the pale poplar looks great.
A couple of questions:
1/ The frame material is interesting.. We can't get poplar in frame sizes in Aust Was it pre-finished? ... Looks like it on your bench

2/ I'm interested to know if you tested the panels with and without the deep frames. I have found that such framing can have a noticeable tunneling effect on the sound which I assume is due to refection of the rear waves

3/ The exciter you chose is one I haven't tried... Looks quite good value. Have you used others, and if so, how does this one compare?

Cheers
Eucy

And some measurements:

View attachment 1090249

Eric

View attachment 1090252
Thank you for the intention Eric. Very clean yes. It might be the job of an EQ to reduce the remaining peaks.
For the construction details :
  • Is there a coating or a finishing layer on the ply? front and rear?
  • How the exciter is linked to the panel? Original VHB?
I add a look the exciter specification. Quite close to the DAEX25FHE. Is there a special reason to come to this one
Christian

I didn't understand up to now that you had "only one-off proto".
So, to clarify, I have made mostly (not only) one off prototypes. You may recall the "revply" speakers were my first finished pair. Those are the speakers we have been using in the main living area for music and TV since late 2019.
And in the "lab" I often have had several similar prototypes to choose from to listen to DML in stereo. But I finally decided the DML lab needed a real speaker pair of its very own.
Eric