A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Christian.
the exciter is now glued firmly to the 4 strip panel.
I noticed that when the sun shines ,the light shines through the panel, which the other plys do not.
The small 3mm 286mm x 176mm is about 64g .
The strips on the larger panel seem to measure slightly less than 3mm sometimes getting close to 2.5mm ?
I've been looking, to try to find out what the material crates are made out of , without luck so far.
Steve.
Hi Spedge - Thanks for the testing comment

your density is 423g/m3 - perhaps a bit heavy for poplar - maybe a pine species - most packing materials in Aus are radiata pine so probably your local variety

Eucy

Christian.
the exciter is now glued firmly to the 4 strip panel.
I noticed that when the sun shines ,the light shines through the panel, which the other plys do not.
The small 3mm 286mm x 176mm is about 64g .
The strips on the larger panel seem to measure slightly less than 3mm sometimes getting close to 2.5mm ?
I've been looking, to try to find out what the material crates are made out of , without luck so far.
Steve.
With this figures, it seems it is poplar plywood. The poplar by itself is given for 390kg/m², some additional glue (250g/m² for a 3 layer???). This fits the usual "white" color of such crate wood.
As you are testing different panel shapes (from 1 to 4 strips), could you check if the efficiency is modified by the shape ratio. It was pointed recently that high shape ratio might have better efficiency (in their range of use of course)?
How is your perception of stiffness along and across the grain of the surface layer?
If you want a new proposal for further test : what about having the grain something like 30 to 40° of the direction of the long side ? The piano soundboard are made like that with the grain not in the main direction of the piano.
Christian

Hi Spedge - Thanks for the testing comment

your density is 423g/m3 - perhaps a bit heavy for poplar - maybe a pine species - most packing materials in Aus are radiata pine so probably your local variety

Eucy
Sorry, I didn't see you post before replying... At least in France, pine is less common in non structural plywood. Pine plywood has a white color with more brown/yellow wood vein. Poplar is almost fully creamy white.

I'm forgetting how this started , I just used this handy material I just had lying around ,with the intention of trying out some of my ideas to improve the sound of the art panel .
So I was a little taken aback by the improvement made by this material.
As you can see in these pictures ,I had to cut out the old 6x4inch x 2mm ply panel and glue in the larger lower quality panel.
This leaves the new panel undamped by the canvas ,over the 6x4inch gap in the canvas.
This works well with this material, the panel could even be bigger with less canvas covering the ply ?
If anyone was building a new art panel or thinking of improving the panel they have already built, I would recommend this.
This is a vast improvement.
Steve.
Hi Spedge - Thinking about your pic, it struck me that given the extent the plywood versus the canvas, that you have perhaps inadvertently created a fabric suspended plywood dml panel rather than a plywood reinforced fabric panel :)

Sorry, I didn't see you post before replying... At least in France, pine is less common in non structural plywood. Pine plywood has a white color with more brown/yellow wood vein. Poplar is almost fully creamy white.
Hi Christian - Yes - I also wondered about the colour - it does look uniformly pale like poplar. Poplar is softer and more open grained than pine - that should be a giveaway. It's Interesting how timber usage varies between countries.

Christian and eucy.
One side of the ply seems whiter than the other side, I've turned the strips around to match the colours.
The darker side has a more brownish tinge with brown streaks.
This panel material is quite springy , not sure if this is the reason for its good sound and maybe efficiency ?
I have run out of strips and panels .
So I now have a large panel made of strips, a small panel and an art panel using the same ply.
Plus 3 core strips with no outer ply.
When looking for vegetable crates , all I seem to find is the repro stuff for storage boxes.
So I have come to a bit of a dead end.
Steve.

Hi Spedge - I recommend this site for lots of good info on tone wood species - always a good place to start. Under 'Species List' you'll find species details in alphabetical order

http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com

Eucy
+ @spedge
Thank you for those links. Always interesting to have the wood density and some aspect references.
I like the home page of the "tonewooddatasource".
Christian

two recordings of the art panel on the right and the 4 strip panel on the left.
to basically show the low end performance.
the stevie ray track shows up a problem with either the exciter or the panel ?
there is a strange sssss sound going on ,i have not managed to trace it yet ?
steve.

Attachments

• art panel +large LQply.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 90
  • stevie ray.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 64
Lordtarquin.
Sorry for these rushed measurements, I manged to find an old 15mm eps panel that I haven't managed to totally destroy yet.
The first picture is of the eps plot I'm not sure what grade it was as it was used for packing but definitely not as high as 70 grade.
The second the naked canvas which would have about the same efficiency as a ply panel maybe a bit more ? And shows the volume drop.
The third pic is of the 13db drop in gain to the eps panel to match the output levels.
The last two pictures is of the now defunct test panel which is coated in a couple of layers of tissue (bog paper) and pva ,so is pretty heavily damped already.
The top exciter only was used for this test.
Steve
Here was the same exciter used for the EPS and naked canvas panel ?
in the shown frequency response, EPS was showing little drop in high frequencies where as the canvas was showing smooth flat even level of high frequencies till the end.. so does the high frequencies is not entirely controlled/contributed by exciter itself?
what factors decide the high frequencies extension .. on many frequency responses in this thread we have a roll off from around 10k, and only very few times seeing even response till 20KHz..

I'm forgetting how this started , I just used this handy material I just had lying around ,with the intention of trying out some of my ideas to improve the sound of the art panel .
So I was a little taken aback by the improvement made by this material.
As you can see in these pictures ,I had to cut out the old 6x4inch x 2mm ply panel and glue in the larger lower quality panel.
This leaves the new panel undamped by the canvas ,over the 6x4inch gap in the canvas.
This works well with this material, the panel could even be bigger with less canvas covering the ply ?
If anyone was building a new art panel or thinking of improving the panel they have already built, I would recommend this.
This is a vast improvement.
Steve.
Hi Steve,
is it the final/best version so far, for the full range canvas panel ..
i think the earlier recommended full range canvas panel was like 16 x 12 inch canvas, with 6 x 4 inch thin plywood at the center of the canvas , 50% diluted PVA or acrylic coating on the canvas and ply , and then exciter attached in the center of the plywood..
Could you please provide details of the final version .. what is the size of the plywood to be used and what thickness, and other details .. do we need to use 16 x 12 inch canvas or need little bigger for better full range frequency response ..
Also does more bass comes from "larger naked canvas area and smaller plywood area" , or "lesser the naked canvas and larger plywood area" gives more bass and full range sound ??

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 66
  • homemade guitar 1050 banner 2021.jpg
    homemade guitar 1050 banner 2021.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 72
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 69
Here was the same exciter used for the EPS and naked canvas panel ?
in the shown frequency response, EPS was showing little drop in high frequencies where as the canvas was showing smooth flat even level of high frequencies till the end.. so does the high frequencies is not entirely controlled/contributed by exciter itself?
what factors decide the high frequencies extension .. on many frequency responses in this thread we have a roll off from around 10k, and only very few times seeing even response till 20KHz..
Sarathssca.
the exciters I use can reach 20k easily, depending on material used obviously.
Even my low grade EPS coated in pva reaches 20k.
the lowest grade without pva coating struggles to reach 8k.
I've never had trouble with hf with ply, usually ply has a strong hump in response between 10k to 20k with my exciters.
The very low grade crate ply seems to be the exception ,and gives a flat response between 10k and 20k ?
when I put a dome on my exciter to see what sort of response I would get it I used it as a tweeter , it had a response from about 2k to 20k , if I remember correctly .
Steve.

Hi Steve,
is it the final/best version so far, for the full range canvas panel ..
i think the earlier recommended full range canvas panel was like 16 x 12 inch canvas, with 6 x 4 inch thin plywood at the center of the canvas , 50% diluted PVA or acrylic coating on the canvas and ply , and then exciter attached in the center of the plywood..
Could you please provide details of the final version .. what is the size of the plywood to be used and what thickness, and other details .. do we need to use 16 x 12 inch canvas or need little bigger for better full range frequency response ..
Also does more bass comes from "larger naked canvas area and smaller plywood area" , or "lesser the naked canvas and larger plywood area" gives more bass and full range sound ??
The canvas panel is still an on going project.
The idea was to eventually add a larger 2mm ply panel to the canvas with a few alterations, for a better response.
But I was not expecting the response from the crate ply !!
This already exceeds my expectations of what I was hoping to achieve.
To be honest , I was leaning more towards an all canvas panel with roll of at about 200hz for best sound.
The larger ply panel does prevent a lot of canvas flapping and buzzing , as pointed out the design so far is more like a ply panel with a canvas surround mounting.
I have made it quite clear that I have problems with the sound of hard rigid ply panels and use methods to reduce this problem , but without damping.
So you can imagine my surprise when I attached the crate ply ,and wondered what the hell was going on !
I thought I had flicked a switch or done something wrong in the setup, which has happened before.
To your questions, the art panel I use is 42cm by 30cm ,this is just as close as I could get to the patent size, but I am sure other sizes should work too.
to be honest I'm not really interested in using any panels below about 100hz , it just doesn't make sense to me anyway, as I prefer the high output from me TLS .
In my last recordings the panel on the right was my art panel , this was the only panel that was reaching 40hz ,the ply strip panel was only going down to about 60hz max.
The art panel plays the double bass very well.
The ply panel on the art panel is about 11inches by 7inches ,this was the largest size I had ,if you want to use larger sizes you can try ?
I'm not sure of the response I would have had if I had used ordinary ply with a few of my alterations ?
As I have said it is an on going experiment , but not a priority for me, as I don't really need the low end that much.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
Steve.

Reactions: 1 user