A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL DDDAC FANS!​

DDDAC Christmascard 2023 4.jpg

Christmas BLOG Post

warm regards
doede

PS:

The image is created with BING Image Creator. For stuff like that AI is a nice tool.
AI in audio design? well, I tried a few times and there is a long way to go 😉
I will stick for the near future to creating nice pictures. (My granddaughter loves them 🙂 )

Reactions: 4 users
In fact, you can also upgrade the existing DDDAC Power supply...
use a bigger transformer - say 50 or 100VA.
at the place of the fuse (choose yourself if you keep a fuse or just leave it out) connect a Choke - this will give you a CLC
you might want to add a resistor of 0,47 - 1 Ohm - experiment yourself.

Very good results have been reported by using a Hammond 159ZC and even increasing the second capacitor to 10.000 or 22.000 uF

I tried this myself with excellent results!

On my blog site this comment was given at the post of my power standard supply (see here: Link to DDDAC BLOG PSU Post )

it is a relatively easy tweak and also easy to do A-B comparison (I used an Aliexpress remote controlled A-B Relais board to switch between Choke/ NO Choke)

*****************************************************************************************************************
Hi Doede,
finally, I removed the fuse, mounted the Hammond 159ZC choke + 1ohm resistor and changed the second 4700uF capacitor to 22000uF on the original Doede PSU, so keeping the blue 25VA Talema for now.
(Here no photo upload possible, right?)

Well, very well I would say!! I confirm what you and others said about overall musical improvements.
My acoustical impressions:
– wider and deeper scene
– better focused instruments
– improved dynamic and transient handling (drums now more realistic)
– improved overall presence effect (with my system especially female voices, choirs, acoustic bass and sax)

As next step I would change to a Toroidy 50VA trafo I have already, do you think it is worthwhile for 2 decks + Ian FIFO Pi Q3 ?
I ask because your suggestion is for 100/150VA upgrade…

Thanks a lot !!
Max
Hi DD,

I am doing as you said. Ordered the psu from Audio-Creative. Ordered a 105VA trafo. Looking for a 1H/1A choke now. Looking forward to the build.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
1H 1A can be found but will be big and not cheap. The Lundahl LL 2771 can be ordered to have 1,5H 1A with the two coils in parallel but dcr would be around 2,8 ohm. Maybe to much voltage drop will be there to keep the regulation circuit working properly. Maybe you will low voltage drop diodes to compensate for this.
And the LL2771 is big. Maybe go for the little brother and accept lower mH . Not sure if the regulator circuit would need more than 1 H
If no regulator circuit present more mH surely has avantages.
Of course if you don't try you will not know.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The choke Doede used had much lower number of mH so dcr lower too. Even if you skip the one ohm resistor you will still end up higher dcr if you use 1H choke
Hammond is 60 mH 0,7 ohm
If you have the space i would go ll2771 and SBYV28 diodes.
Just try, greetings Eduard

Sure, i got that. The reason i say 1H/1A is because in DD’s blog post, he plotted the graphs with 3 chokes and the noise rejection was the best with the 1H/1A choke. Hence, i wanted to aim for the same. Hope that will give me the best results, of course also upsizing the cap to 22,000uf as well.

Say if this 1H choke has a dcr of 6ohms, what and how do I need to alter in the recipe that DD suggested? Maybe if @eduard or anyone else can hand draw a schematic for me so a noob like me can follow to the T.

Thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The ll2771 wIth two coils in parallel will be 2,8 ohm so compared to Hammond 0,7 ohm plus 1 ohm resistor you will have 1,1 ohm extra so let us say with 4 boards one volt extra voltage drop.
A bigger transformer will give you a little higher output so will the diodes. So 2,8 ohm no problem
BUT do you have space for the LL2771. First check this out.
Greetings Eduard

Space is no constraint. My dac is on a bamboo board so i can fit anything. Most likely i wont get any lundahl choke due to availability concerns in my country. I can have a custom choke wound for me and the winder indicated around 5-6ohms dcr. What do i need to do different with the audio creative supply mods that DD suggested to get the correct 12v/1a output from the supply for the dddac?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It will be no different than using any other choke but 5 to 6 ohm will give a much bigger voltage drop than a 2,8 ohm Lundahl which you can get worldwide. With 5..6 ohm you will surely need another power transformer.
I would go for the Lundahl.
I use a few and i know there are others too.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It could also be that the circuit is less sensitive to " impurity " of the power supply. Of course Tent is a big part of the cost of the board.
Greetings,Eduard
P.s the power supply used to feed the boards will have easier life is current being drawn is 50 % smaller!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Doede can surely answer this but it will be very hard to reduce the current draw 50% and still maintain a shunt supply. Maybe keeping the shunts will make the boards to big or generate to much heat or making them to expensive.
We will see in a few months probably.
Maybe the boards will offer less possibility for improvement because using more smd parts?
Greetings,Eduard