A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Like mbrennwa suggested, I use a CLCL supply. 1 x 15V / 16V transformer, 2 x Lundhal LL1694, 2 x 4700uF Caps and one bleeding resistor (high watt) will give you about 10 V for a 4 deck DDDAC (I have removed the 10V LDOs from the DAC boards). You can go the non-risk route and use a higher V transformer to get 12V and remain the LDO on the DAC boards.
I really like the non LDO version better from sound perspective. So feeding the tent shunts directly. Note, this is for the current version of DAC boards. And there is a little risk. If you give too much V this may burn your DAC board / tent shunt area on the board.

Like mbrennwa suggested, I use a CLCL supply. 1 x 15V / 16V transformer, 2 x Lundhal LL1694, 2 x 4700uF Caps and one bleeding resistor (high watt) will give you about 10 V for a 4 deck DDDAC (I have removed the 10V LDOs from the DAC boards). You can go the non-risk route and use a higher V transformer to get 12V and remain the LDO on the DAC boards.
I really like the non LDO version better from sound perspective. So feeding the tent shunts directly. Note, this is for the current version of DAC boards. And there is a little risk. If you give too much V this may burn your DAC board / tent shunt area on the board.
From the transformer and CLCL filter I still cannot get DC voltage only a filtered AC :) I am really curious too about the schematic.

I depends how you define DC :). I forgot to mention in the part list a rectifier which makes "DC" out of your AC in the first step of this chain. At the end you are getting a very clean "DC" voltage with a very low ripple out of such CLCL. I can send you a schematic in some hours. You can use PSU Designer II to simulate such PSU.

Last edited:
From the transformer and CLCL filter I still cannot get DC voltage only a filtered AC :) I am really curious too about the schematic.
Google schematic for a linear power supply. Transformer then bridge rectifier and you have DC. Then a filter either CRC or CLC will get you ripple free DC. CLCLC will be really good. A regulator will then set the voltage. It can all be done point to point on a board. There are software tools to model the circuit to get the desired power and ripple. It is a skill that will save a lot of money in diy. As a novice, I found Duncan's amp a useful resource to learn about simple power supplies. https://www.duncanamps.com/software.html PSU Designer tool let's you play around model basic linear supplies traditionally used for tube amps.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Because i am out of town for a few days i cannot send a circuit right now.
BUT if you have not bought anything i would go straight for a choke input and a lundahl LL2771 or the LL2733 as input choke. SBYV28 diodes some F&T caps, the right bleeder resistor is crucial. I mean enough current to make it work as a choke input all the time.
LCRC with the LL2771 will always be better than two low grade chokes.
I would go for a split bobbin transformer.
Greetings, Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
This is my setup. No regulator used - If you are careful I think it is not necessary. The DAC boards have a regulator on board.
1702400737904.png

Result:
1702400868485.png

1702401123824.png

Not compared to magic PSU.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The supply designed by the people from audio creative does have a clc circuit inside and some active kind of regulator .
If you read that some people removed the 7810 regulator that is positioned at the input of the Tent shunt and report an improvement i am not sure that introducing another active before the 7810 would be better.
Of course an LCL is totally different from an LC( plus a rc) circuit as output stage.
The choke in the audio creative is rather small. I bett the LL2771 wont fit inside that enclosure.
Of course the choke they use won't be as expensive ( 194€)as the Lundahl and won't weigh 5 kilogrammes but probably less than 0,5 kilogrammes. If they use the Lundahl their supply will be double the price if not more.
Of course a choke has infinite lifetime so in the end it will be cheap.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Did you try sbyv28 diodes too?
What about 4 diodes?
Would moving R1 to across the first cap make a difference?
I remember going from ll2733 to ll2771 was a nice improvement. Of course you will another transformer too then. Of course with choke input and let us say 900 mA current running you wont need a transformer that can deliver 2A because the choke will keep the current close to 900 mA all the time. A reason it works so good.
Greetings Eduard

Hello,
Because i am out of town for a few days i cannot send a circuit right now.
BUT if you have not bought anything i would go straight for a choke input and a lundahl LL2771 or the LL2733 as input choke. SBYV28 diodes some F&T caps, the right bleeder resistor is crucial. I mean enough current to make it work as a choke input all the time.
LCRC with the LL2771 will always be better than two low grade chokes.
I would go for a split bobbin transformer.
Greetings, Eduard
Hey Eduard, i havent yet bought anything so am happy to follow your lead. Will connect with you via DMs to make progress on the psu. Thanks .

In fact, you can also upgrade the existing DDDAC Power supply...
use a bigger transformer - say 50 or 100VA.
at the place of the fuse (choose yourself if you keep a fuse or just leave it out) connect a Choke - this will give you a CLC
you might want to add a resistor of 0,47 - 1 Ohm - experiment yourself.

Very good results have been reported by using a Hammond 159ZC and even increasing the second capacitor to 10.000 or 22.000 uF

I tried this myself with excellent results!

On my blog site this comment was given at the post of my power standard supply (see here: Link to DDDAC BLOG PSU Post )

it is a relatively easy tweak and also easy to do A-B comparison (I used an Aliexpress remote controlled A-B Relais board to switch between Choke/ NO Choke)

*****************************************************************************************************************
Hi Doede,
finally, I removed the fuse, mounted the Hammond 159ZC choke + 1ohm resistor and changed the second 4700uF capacitor to 22000uF on the original Doede PSU, so keeping the blue 25VA Talema for now.
(Here no photo upload possible, right?)

Well, very well I would say!! I confirm what you and others said about overall musical improvements.
My acoustical impressions:
– wider and deeper scene
– better focused instruments
– improved dynamic and transient handling (drums now more realistic)
– improved overall presence effect (with my system especially female voices, choirs, acoustic bass and sax)

As next step I would change to a Toroidy 50VA trafo I have already, do you think it is worthwhile for 2 decks + Ian FIFO Pi Q3 ?
I ask because your suggestion is for 100/150VA upgrade…

Thanks a lot !!
Max

By the way, web shop is open for last time buy of the DAC module. Even if you did not reserve boards, you can enter an order now, as we reached the minimum quantities for the batch. Web shop will be open till all reservations are turned into orders plus 48 hours for those who still want to order and do not reserve yet. Will write a note here

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Some people told me that using split bobbin transformer will give the supply better isolation from garbage coming from your electricity supplier because primary and secondary windings are next to each other.
To prove this they did a test using different power transformer connected as a kind of output transformer some donut transformer did go up to 10khz showing a lot of garbage will enter you supply.
Of course if you plan to use a choke why not go the extra mile and try a choke input. It could well be that you will see the step from CLC to LclittleRC will be bigger than going from no choke to CLC.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Maybe a bit of beating around the bush but i compared two Lundahl chokes the LL2771 and the LL2733. One with airgap adjusted to get the same current rating.
My friend outside EU so used tax free prices.
With the " small " choke every € will give you 6,8 mH
The big one however will give you 18,75 mH for one €
So far more mH/H will always improve things . Current being drawn not fluctuating a lot is a good thing too.
Doede already told is that his latest benjamin has a greatly reduced current draw. All things being equal halving current drawn will halve the ripple as well.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
You should look for my older posts to find about my use of chokes.
For choke input you need something different and more expensive than the Hammond choke.Something like the LL 2733 or the LL2771. Most people go for the LL 2733 or the LL1694 because they are cheaper and also a lot smaller.
You could replace the Hammond choke and the one ohm resistor with a Lundahl choke. But the BIGGEST improvement would be choke input and leave the original resistor so it will be an LCRC supply. Take care with choke input you need a resistor to create minimum current draw. All this info is in this thread.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Some additional info .
Lundahl will adjust the airgap of your choke, at no extra cost, to get the maximum number of mH/H. If your circuit takes 800mA and the LL2733 is 400mH at 1,7 A with both coils in series you just ask them to make it for 850 mA and you will get 800mH at 850mA which will surely sound better!! Trust me on that one.
A split bobbin with a 2A secundary current rating will be more than enough if you know about choke input supplies. Such a transformer will be under 25@$ at Mouser. The big expense will be the choke. With choke input you will need the resistor to assure the minimum current and 4 sbyv28 diodes.
Greetings Eduard

eduard.. I fully respect and admire your research and reporting on high current chokes. When this surfaced originally I applied some of these concepts and appreciate the impact. OTOH, keep in mind that while the most expensive choke no doubt has benefit, there are diminishing returns. I had substantial success just making a DIY choke using 18awe magnet wire wrapped on a toride core in place of a resistor flipping the filter from CRCRC to CLCRC. In some ways it was better than the Hammond choke and only cost $5. The LL 2733 is outside my budget so I have no experience there. It is similar to the discussions about the best mega$ super cap. I enjoy 80% of the benefit with the $8 10F one. I just point out that there are budget friendly choices.