A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

I always thought that the ethernet connections are galvanically isolated. I never had any hum/noise/ground issues when I connected an ethernet wire. All my DDDACs run on ethernet connection, no problems at all. I rather had issues with USB wires creating ground loops. I highly prefer wired ethernet connections over WiFi, which tends to be fussy and unreliable.

While galvanic isolation may indeed prevent stray currents from traveling between circuits and causing ground loops, I have yet to hear any isolation solution in computer audio that effectively stops all electrical noise from passing through. The use of Wi-Fi nicely eliminates upstream pollution coming from network switches and routers, but can cause its own high-frequency processing noise on the computer board. So what to do?

I was uninterested in investing thousands to acquire a properly clocked and cleanly powered network switch, such as the SOtM sNH-10G, to feed my Intel NUC server (Windows Server 2019, Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer). So I started with a Totaldac filtering ethernet cable; it basically has ferrite cores running its entire length. When I installed it, I was absolutely surprised by the clearly audible reduction in noise floor it provided. Then I added a TP-Link AC750 network bridge; it's a simple low-power Wi-Fi access point that can plug directly into my power conditioner and be filtered with my Totaldac cable. This provided another reduction in sonic noise and improved image focus that further beat a direct connection to an ordinary switch/router with an ordinary Cat 5/6/7 cable. Finally, I tried using my server's built-in Wi-Fi antennas. Like Doede, I could not hear any difference between my clean Ethernet feed and the Wi-Fi.

I would never go back to a normal, untreated Ethernet connection. Don't write off Wi-Fi, or better cables, until you try them. :)

Today I use the access point, largely because wireless networking functionality is disabled in the stripped-down Windows Server core version that I prefer to use. I also believe it is just good practice to minimize processing on the board in every way possible. But otherwise, I could happily live with Wi-Fi. It would cost me a lot of money to exceed this sound quality, and even then the outcome is not guaranteed.

Saying Wi-Fi is fussy and unreliable is like saying mobile phones are fussy and unreliable. It all depends on location. One must provide for a strong signal and sufficient bandwidth. In my case, the performance has been flawless and never calls attention to itself. I have used my current setup daily for more than a year.

Guys, i do appreciate the fact we can improve the DDDAC with other clocks possibly, but would like to ask to not do a double thread on the clock technical details and backgrounds. My understanding is, there will be a group buy coming up for the next generation of Mori clocks, so every dddac owner can decide if they would like to try that. When it comes that far, it is time to mention it here I guess?

Everyone interested in the technical discussions etc, should follow the clock thread I think

Just a quick hint for the interested: the group buy for “The Well Tempered Master Clocks“ is starting ;)

Regarding the DDDAC power supplies, what will happen now the BC550C and BC560C are now obsolete?
Will there be a new circuit ?

No Need vor a new circuit. Any General pnp and npn with high Beta will do the Job nicely....

Besides these parts are widely available and won’t dry up that quickly.

For example I have still 1000s of TDA1543 lying around and sell them till the day of today. They are 25 years obsolete or something

Connect Wave IO to FiFoPi to DDDAC

Goodday all,
After changing my Dac and mainboards I want to install the fifopi between the Wave IO and DDDAC, now I have a few questions.

Can I use the U FL output from the fifopi to connect to mainboard when Wave IO is connected via J1

I can not follow how the fifopi will work, the same pins are used on the bottom as on the top of the fifopi or is there being reclocked inbetween

And where will the optocopler on waveio gets his power from, does it gets the power from J3 of the fifopi ?

Thanks,

Charlyparker,

I know the thread is very long, but on this topic there has been several postings from me - so did you see those? If anything is unclear, happy to help of course...

quick answer without explaining why (for that search the posts):

Can I use the U FL output from the fifopi to connect to mainboard when Wave IO is connected via J1
*** yes you can- this is regardless what you connect to J1 btw
only connect L/R - Data - BCK (or SCK) NOT MCK

I can not follow how the fifopi will work, the same pins are used on the bottom as on the top of the fifopi or is there being reclocked inbetween
*** J1 is the reclocked - use this for output - do not use J2 (!)

And where will the optocopler on waveio gets his power from, does it gets the power from J3 of the fifopi ?
*** do not use 5V from J3 - better separate LDO regulator coming from 5Volt power. It has to be anything between 3 and 4,5 Volt - Do NOT use 5Volt. This will not work as J1 is not 5 Volt logic compliant

Thanks,

Permit me to give a little more detail. :)

Yes, it is popular if you have the cables. Alternatively, you can use Dupont pins/cables between J7 and the mainboard.

FiFoPi accepts an input on the bottom (J1), reclocks and isolates it, and outputs it through the top (J7 and the U.FL). J2 also provides a non-isolated output; we don't use it.

And where will the optocopler on waveio gets his power from, does it gets the power from J3 of the fifopi?

Yes, FiFoPi conveniently passes its J3 power down through J1 to supply a Raspberry Pi. *We use this to supply the WaveIO isolator instead.* As Doede stated, you must give J3 (and thus the WaveIO isolator) anything from 3.3v to 4.5v, no more.

Note that, in addition to connecting the I2S signals and power between WaveIO and FiFoPi, you must also connect a ground wire between them. The signal will not pass successfully without this.

Doede's post #7411 here is your guide. I have gone back to this bookmark myself many times. :)

Last edited:
Ian Canada's BridgePi has been released. It is a very elegant solution that enables us to put an Amanero 384 USB receiver (or the competing Singxer/XMOS USB receiver) into the input stack. Amanero does not require a power supply, so we can neatly replace WaveIO and its associated power and wiring with this.

Further, Ian also makes ReceiverPi -- an RCA and optical S/PDIF receiver that fits in between BridgePi and FiFoPi. ReceiverPi can be powered from FiFoPi J3 and will automatically switch from BridgePi USB underneath to its own S/PDIF, if and when a signal is detected.

All of this will result in a great I2S sandwich:
Amanero USB > BridgePi > ReceiverPi > FiFoPi (2@ 3.3 or 5v) > DDDAC.

DDDAC already incorporates an excellent S/PDIF solution. And RaspberryPi eliminates the need for an external USB source. However, for those of us who have our own USB music streamers and wish S/PDIF could go through FiFoPi as well, this is an exciting new path. I will try it soon...

Hi ken,

indeed a very convenient board to use - just a small correction for the WaveIO: WaveIO does not need external power also. You can select USB power or external. I would never take USB power, dirty like hell to connect this to your audio gear. If for convenience of signal routing you take the pi bridge and Anamero that is fine of course.

I still use the WaveIO and made my own selector (costs 10 Euro on relay board) of course not automatic, but one click away on the remote control or front panel switch. With that I select between Wave and PI3 to the input of the FiFoPi (see earlier posts) – having said so, 99% of the time I use the PI3 through Roon as it is so great to us software.

The fact the bridge can also switch spdif and than reclock makes it also extra usable for those who still use spdif. This is a nice feature indeed

Good point on the WaveIO! I forgot about this. The BridgePi is a bit more convenient for mounting and wiring. My bluray player puts out S/PDIF, so the auto-switching feature here is a big plus to me.

I use an Innuos PhoenixUSB after my streamer; the power is nothing like what you'd get from a PC...