A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Broken dddac help

Hello all. I am after a bit of help with my DIY dddac. I built the dac many years ago but recently decided to upgrade to a a 4 board version. So I de soldered the two existing boards and soldered two back in with enought wire to accommodate the remaining two. This way I have been able to test the two before adding the remaining boards. Unfortunately the first two boards aren't working and I have no idea why? I get a a nasty white noise from one speaker but nothing from the other one. The LEDs which indicate the quality are working but don't seem to be right?. I don't have much hope of sorting this out myself as my electronic knowledge is poor so was hoping someone might live locally to me who could have a look. I live in Abergavenny (UK). Many thanks.

Hello all. I am after a bit of help with my DIY dddac. I built the dac many years ago but recently decided to upgrade to a a 4 board version. So I de soldered the two existing boards and soldered two back in with enought wire to accommodate the remaining two. This way I have been able to test the two before adding the remaining boards. Unfortunately the first two boards aren't working and I have no idea why? I get a a nasty white noise from one speaker but nothing from the other one. The LEDs which indicate the quality are working but don't seem to be right?. I don't have much hope of sorting this out myself as my electronic knowledge is poor so was hoping someone might live locally to me who could have a look. I live in Abergavenny (UK). Many thanks.

If you are really stuck, you can send it to me for repair or testing

Hi,

My DDDAC was working fine. Unfortunately, I was testing a new power supply and accidentally connected one of the capacitors the wrong way around. The other caps that were in parallel were correct, and the polarity to the DDDAC itself was correct. Things smoked on the power supply and I switched everything off.
Replaced the caps - power supply is outputting 12V now. But the DDDAC doesnt seem to output anything anymore (SPDIF input as before). Is that gone as well, or is there hope?

Hi,

My DDDAC was working fine. Unfortunately, I was testing a new power supply and accidentally connected one of the capacitors the wrong way around. The other caps that were in parallel were correct, and the polarity to the DDDAC itself was correct. Things smoked on the power supply and I switched everything off.
Replaced the caps - power supply is outputting 12V now. But the DDDAC doesnt seem to output anything anymore (SPDIF input as before). Is that gone as well, or is there hope?

A defective C in the power supply should not kill the DAC. So best to follow standard routine when the DAC does not work: Measure voltage at the critical V-points like input VB+ at the top of the dac board, after the 7810 (10V), the measure point for the Ibias (40mV vs common) and at the POS and NEG terminals versus COMMON (~2,8 Volt). Than you have a good starting point if any thing else went wrong

Hey thanks for that post. Which Spec pre are you using? Is there a specific model? How much does it go for?

I am currently using the Cinemag 15/15B and was also contemplating the Sowter upgrade. However, reading that your friend's tube preamp did not match well with the Sowters is a bummer as I am also using a tube preamp.

Maybe you or Doede can explain why would Sowters not match well with a tube preamp, if that is actually the case? Also, my preamp is based on the 4P1L tubes and is a DHT amp. Any suggestions on whether this might be a good match.

Additionally, I have also put in the two 5V regulators that you had recommended. I must say there is a refinement that comes in with these regulators over the standard ones that I was using earlier. I have realised one thing that my aural memory is not that strong. I forget easily how any component sounded previously, after I live with an upgrade for a few days/weeks. As in, now it is hard for me to imagine how the DAC was sounding before these regulators were put in or how it sounded before I had put in the Cinemags. For me, the sound that i get now is the standard sound.

Hi Kartick I use the excellent Sowter output transformers with my DDDAC, into a 4P1L DHT preamp. It’s a great match....significant upgrade from the cinemags I used previously.

Hi Kartick I use the excellent Sowter output transformers with my DDDAC, into a 4P1L DHT preamp. It’s a great match....significant upgrade from the cinemags I used previously.

Hey there, thanks for the revert. Which exact Sowter transformer model are you using. Also, would you say that the additional money spent on the Sowter is justified. I am actually tight on budget that ways.

Thanks Doede,

I also found these transformers as a possible option, they can be customized, will provide "gain", and cost only $150 for a pair, shipping included.

Output transformers for DACs

These are toroidal transformers, which are most sensitive to any DC imbalance. They might therefore not be the best choice for the DDDAC.

Thanks Doede,

I also found these transformers as a possible option, they can be customized, will provide "gain", and cost only $150 for a pair, shipping included.

Output transformers for DACs

Hard to tell if this transformer is really good? Maybe a provocative statement, but when it comes to transformers, it seems the only two specs some people (I do not mean you in particular "Extreme_Boky" ) are interested in, (based on mails I am getting) are "the seller says it is for DACs and the price is low.

Now imagine in these forums, some speaks about amplifiers, Loudspeakers or couple caps and you take as alternative anything you find on the internet with only the above two specs? No one would do that, right?

Of course I know the Sowters are "expensive", but worth their money. On top specially designed for this application and not for general use, hence you cannot buy them from Sowter from their standard stock. I know people spend more on power cables and interlinks (good as well, no complaints) but I can tell you the improvement per Euro spend is a totally different cup of tea :)

a Golfwagen Golf brings you comfortably from A-B premium cars also. Still.... It is a matter of choice and budget, no discussion, but you get what you pay for in most cases

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I used the Sowters right from the start. Also began with buying parts after the boards with integrated shunt were available.
Yes it could be nicer to experience all the improvements that could be made by changing parts but my hobby is not like this anymore.
I have been focussing on improving the power supply but using bigger chokes and smaller transformers but still need to connect it because i also decided to move my line preamp into a bigger chassis.
Right now using the Aurender but wanna move onto the Berry streamer which skips the USB and which will powered by a new choke input with higher Henry. BUT that might be after winter.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s so many technicians here. I have a question. I bought some caps on ebay and i wanna know if they are containing oil. How to find out without drilling a hole because they are to expensive to do that. The seller doesnt have any datasheet and google doesnt help because it has only a military part number.

Today I made the order of the Sowter transformers from Doede.
My dac is 4 boards tent and standard psu. No upgrades or tweaks. I have tried several caps on the output including several exotic types, but I ended up with Russian K75-10 as the most satisfying for me.
I love my DAC as it is, but the temptation of having more of the same thing was to great to resist:-D