A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Today I made the order of the Sowter transformers from Doede.
My dac is 4 boards tent and standard psu. No upgrades or tweaks. I have tried several caps on the output including several exotic types, but I ended up with Russian K75-10 as the most satisfying for me.
I love my DAC as it is, but the temptation of having more of the same thing was to great to resist:-D

Here's what I wrote about the transformer upgrade more than 6 years ago:

Update 11.3.2013: Doede sent me two Sowter 1298 transformers, which he designed as an alternative to the standard coupling capacitor in the analog out line. Apart from avoiding the coupling capacitor in the signal, the transformers also allow using the inverted output of the DAC chips, thus cancelling out even-order distortion. I immediately noticed the sound improvement with the transformers. The music sounded as if the musicians just got a pay increase! The transformers were expensive, but the money was well spent in my case.

Making use of the additional DAC output (the "inverted" out) is a bit like doubling the number of DAC boards.

Today I made the order of the Sowter transformers from Doede.
My dac is 4 boards tent and standard psu. No upgrades or tweaks. I have tried several caps on the output including several exotic types, but I ended up with Russian K75-10 as the most satisfying for me.
I love my DAC as it is, but the temptation of having more of the same thing was to great to resist:-D

Nicely done Puma!! I have a 4 Deck version, although the older types. But still do report your impressions once you put in the Sowters. I am sitting on the fence about this decision as of now. Funds are a problem. Your impressions could help. Cheers

Nicely done Puma!! I have a 4 Deck version, although the older types. But still do report your impressions once you put in the Sowters. I am sitting on the fence about this decision as of now. Funds are a problem. Your impressions could help. Cheers

Wider, deeper, faster stronger, clearer, transparenter, controller :) Big sound even when low volume. And the lows to die for.
The price is steep. I was biting my fingernails when buing it.
Now, even if you have put a barrel of a gun to my head I wont leave it for something else. There is no turning back.
Get the money, bite your fingernails and buy it. You will never look back on any even the most expensive preamp.
Mine is Sowter's dddac Special Transformer Volume Control from Doede.
Regards

Wider, deeper, faster stronger, clearer, transparenter, controller :) Big sound even when low volume. And the lows to die for.
Now, even if you have put a barrel of a gun to my head I wont leave it for something else. There is no turning back.
Get the money, bite your fingernails and buy it. You will never look back on any even the most expensive preamp.
Regards

The price is steep compared to the price of the DAC, but compared to other quality signal transformers for tube amps, preamps etc, it is quite normal.

Regards

Hate you man!! :) I should apply for a loan ;)

I replaced my "DDDAC special" Sowters with transformer volume controls (tested on an AP by Doede himself). This means that my DDDAC Sowters should still be somewhere in one of my parts boxes... if anyone is interested in those trannies, I can go and have a look. Maybe we can trade things. I am always looking for more DAC boards, or some nice tubes.

I replaced my "DDDAC special" Sowters with transformer volume controls (tested on an AP by Doede himself). This means that my DDDAC Sowters should still be somewhere in one of my parts boxes... if anyone is interested in those trannies, I can go and have a look. Maybe we can trade things. I am always looking for more DAC boards, or some nice tubes.

I won’t have anything to trade with you however if you would like to let go of the sowters at a good price, I’ll be interested. We can talk on PM. Also, best if Doede/you can confirm that no changes to the trafos have been made in the last 6 years, as in between the one doede is selling and the ones that you have. Thanks

Had I not bought the cinemags, Doede would be shipping my sowters right now ;) what do I do with my cinemags.....aaarghhh!!

They shouldn't be so bad at all I think. Maybe you could put a stepped attenuator after them and thus eliminate any preamp. But first check with Doede what actual gain the Cinemags have and if it is at all possible.
If you have your Cinemags as a Transformer Volume Controll then you should be fine. Maybe not as fine as with Sowters but for start is ok.

All secret lies on eliminating preamp from the line. Apart of course of properties of the transformers. The better transformers the better sound. The Sowters with they high quality are optimised for the dddac and that makes all the difference.

They shouldn't be so bad at all I think. Maybe you could put a stepped attenuator after them and thus eliminate any preamp. But first check with Doede what actual gain the Cinemags have and if it is at all possible.
If you have your Cinemags as a Transformer Volume Controll then you should be fine. Maybe not as fine as with Sowters but for start is ok.

All secret lies on eliminating preamp from the line. Apart of course of properties of the transformers. The better transformers the better sound. The Sowters with they high quality are optimised for the dddac and that makes all the difference.

No no the Cinemags are not bad at all. They were a huge improvement over the capacitors. I am not willing to take out the preamp out at this stage. Quite like my dht 4p1L preamp. Anyway someone reported moving from cinemags to sowters and getting a much improved sound. That’s what got me tempted. If i find a buyer, I’ll maybe sell these and get the sowters. If i find used sowters even better!!

A defective C in the power supply should not kill the DAC. So best to follow standard routine when the DAC does not work: Measure voltage at the critical V-points like input VB+ at the top of the dac board, after the 7810 (10V), the measure point for the Ibias (40mV vs common) and at the POS and NEG terminals versus COMMON (~2,8 Volt). Than you have a good starting point if any thing else went wrong

There seems to be a short somewhere. Supplying 12V results in the power supply staying dim and showing low voltage.
I desoldered the lf33 regulators on the main board. Replaced 5V regulator. Then the input power supply stays at 12V. However output of lf80 on the 1794 board is showing as 2.6V.
Ideas please...

Hi...
I was also adviced to upgrade to transformers as the next logical step, when I asked the question here a month or two ago...and thank you all who responded there ������

I'm now also very tempted by gettings some Sowters, but haven't asked Doede for the actual price yet. Unfortunately I seems to remember that they also requires 4 boards...and presently I have only one.
Sowters + 3 more boards will be too much in one step for me at the moment, so I better settle for some Cinemags.

@kartick...I am interested in buying your used Cinemags. Where do you live and what is your price? Please send me a PM...

Hi...
I was also adviced to upgrade to transformers as the next logical step, when I asked the question here a month or two ago...and thank you all who responded there ������

I'm now also very tempted by gettings some Sowters, but haven't asked Doede for the actual price yet. Unfortunately I seems to remember that they also requires 4 boards...and presently I have only one.
Sowters + 3 more boards will be too much in one step for me at the moment, so I better settle for some Cinemags.

@kartick...I am interested in buying your used Cinemags. Where do you live and what is your price? Please send me a PM...
Hey, I am in india. I’ll be in touch with you via PM.

With the Cinemags connected I get noise in my speakers. It reminds me "of mains transformer hum".
What's the most likely explanation?
With capacitors both channels are silent. I have the new version mains board and 4 of the old decks. cd drive connected through spdif.

I never had this concern with the Cinemags. Check the connections for a grounding issue perhaps. Not sure...