A how to for a PC XO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Today Im try crossvolver. Im extract it on "c:\crossvolver\" map but something doesn't work.
What Im do:
1.) Im run "fir.bat" set sample frequency to 48kHz, minimum phase leave checked, filter order=10, select single 32bit and in first edit box write 63 in second 3000 and other two empty. Then Im pres calc crossovers button and wait few second's to complete task.

But in filter folder has not create anything. Here on other pc now Im see that has been created .pcm files but when I press any button when I see:
C:\crossvolver>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

then this files has been deleted and not created .wav files...

So Am I ok setup crossovers?
I would like:
SUB low pass 63Hz
MID band pass 63Hz-3kHz
TW high pass 3kHz

Also today Im try mesaure my system with TrueRTA and get next results:
First mesaure noise in car:
NoiseFloor.JPG

Im not shure if dB is ok I think it must be cca. 10-20dB lower...
Then Im mesaure Left MID (Full Range):
MIDLeft.JPG

And Right:
MIDRight.JPG

Tweeter(BugPass filter at 1.5kHz you can see slope)...
Left:
HIGHLeft.JPG

Right:
HIGHRight.JPG

For first mesaure I think that results are ok, but I must check why sound go +/- 5dB...
In generator Im use "Pink Noise" and leave it 10sec. to make average. I think that with "Quick Sweep" has been signal more linear...

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet: you can now buy fairly inexpensive solid state drives (e.g. Intel X25-M 80gb) which are of course silent (unlike hard disks) and should help the PC boot up significantly faster. They would be perfect for a silent dedicated XO PC.

If you look my carpc specification you can see that I already have it ;) It is very fast...

I will be very happy if someone can help me with crossvolver...

I am running Prodigy 7.1hifi on Windows 7 RC now. There are a pair of RCA outputs for channels 1 and 2 also hooked to the green 1/8 (3.5mm) stereo connector in the breakout cable. I use either or both of the 1,2 hookups to facilitate speaker testing. The rest of the outputs and inputs are also on 1/8 stereo connectors in the breakout cable. I tested this with RMAA using Window XP-3 and got good results. Not quite as good as $800 cards but better than any other 7.1 ASIO card of similar cost. I have used the Foobar2000 crossover for up to 4 stereo channels with good results. I will try to test this further now on Windows 7.
Ted

Awesome Ted!

I would like to eventually implement this in a Carputer- a seperate video card to run a touchscreen front end- which Windows 7 is made to work with well. Then each individual channel of this Prodigy 7.1 to individual amplifier channels for Front High, Front Mid, Rear and Sub for both Left and Right. Debating on a center channel or not.

I am trying to determine if Console will run on a 64 bit install though. I do have the ability to install just 32 bit Windows 7- but I can only run 2gb RAM. Is 2gb RAM sufficient? If I can get 64 bit installed and still run Console I can have 4 gb.

Awesome Ted!

I would like to eventually implement this in a Carputer- a seperate video card to run a touchscreen front end- which Windows 7 is made to work with well. Then each individual channel of this Prodigy 7.1 to individual amplifier channels for Front High, Front Mid, Rear and Sub for both Left and Right. Debating on a center channel or not.

I am trying to determine if Console will run on a 64 bit install though. I do have the ability to install just 32 bit Windows 7- but I can only run 2gb RAM. Is 2gb RAM sufficient? If I can get 64 bit installed and still run Console I can have 4 gb.

Hi,

Great that someone else try implement this thing in car audio system...

If you are talking about Prodigy 7.1 HiFi then I must tell you that there is not offical Windows 7 drivers, also Vista users have problems, you can look on their forums... Windows 7 is new operating system and not a lot of companies support it, but some of it work on drivers and have some beta drivers(M-Audio...).

About operating system. I don't recommend you 64bit version. You will have problems with VST Hosts, and other audio applications, and some frontends...
2GB ram is enought for CarPC, you will have bigger problem with CPU power, ATOM CPU is not good enougt, you need some good Dual core(2.8GHz+) or quad core that you can make good crossovers, time aligment EQ on your carpc and still play music from it...
If you will put 4GB RAM into 32bit windows it will see around 3.25GB.

The PC I want to build is going to have to be a beast. Not Only do I want it to do this sound processing, I want it to display visualizations from windows media player. I am thinking a seperate Video Card will help alot.

I suppose its not possible to run just 3 1gb sticks for a total of 3gb RAM and have windows 7 recognize it all. I haven't looked at mobos so far- but I am thinking a quad core CPU is def on order.

So 32 bit Windows 7 for sure.

I went on Console's Support forums, and even though they seem dead compared to these fast moving forums- there was some information about windows vista. There were a few people requesting a 64 bit console version, and a short discussion about someone having success running Console on 32 bit vista. I will def. be avoiding 64 bit until I know it would work- i.e. 64 bit console version. There was talk of installing 64bit yet emulating 32 bit for console and other programs and drivers that require it.

I plan to build this PC and shock mount it somewhere in the truck. With wires running to the Touchscreen interface and a DVD (possibly Blue ray?) disc drive up front.

Along with that I really want to do some other unnecessary features, like bluetooth. Should make for an incredibly interesting build. Its amazing though- alot of what I want to do seemed impossible a few years ago, and now it is all seeming very possible.

My other question is on the outputs of the Prodigy 7.1- Are they able to directly drive 6 channels at RCA levels? I would liek to send the outputs directly to my car audio amps, but they are looking for good stron RCA inputs. I can def. put a line driver downstream of the Prodigy, but would prefer to avoid any other processing if it will still work well.

Anyone have a link to the best buy of a Prodigy 7.1 Breakout cable? I don't know if I am searching for the right thing cause I cannot find it...

Also- I have found only the Prodigy 7.1 HiFi. Is this the same as the 7.1LT named earlier in the thread? I think it is because several descriptions of the 7.1HiFi proclaim they have the Wolfsam drivers which I believe are the same as the earlier 5.1 card and better then the first 7.1 card. But I read that the 7.1 LT had the best (with the best being the Wolfsam...).

Last edited:
The PC I want to build is going to have to be a beast. Not Only do I want it to do this sound processing, I want it to display visualizations from windows media player. I am thinking a seperate Video Card will help alot.

Probably something using CUDA will help alot, yes.

I suppose its not possible to run just 3 1gb sticks for a total of 3gb RAM and have windows 7 recognize it all.

???
3x1GB sticks work with any OS, both 32 and 64 bit...

I haven't looked at mobos so far- but I am thinking a quad core CPU is def on order.

Maybe, WMP uses all cores, so go for it. You will need 2,4ghz or more.

I went on Console's Support forums, and even though they seem dead compared to these fast moving forums- there was some information about windows vista. There were a few people requesting a 64 bit console version, and a short discussion about someone having success running Console on 32 bit vista. I will def. be avoiding 64 bit until I know it would work- i.e. 64 bit console version. There was talk of installing 64bit yet emulating 32 bit for console and other programs and drivers that require it.

32-bit Console works with Windows 7 RTM 64 bit OS, I use it. The main limit of console remains the 96khz cap.
An alternative (with worse interface IMO) is bidule, which is available in 64 bit version.

Of course the ideal is to have 64-bit VST plugins, if the plugins use 32bit floating point (which is pretty good btw), it is pointless to have a 64bit host

My other question is on the outputs of the Prodigy 7.1

I haven't read great things about their drivers, looks like asio works better in 32bit OS. Never tried them. the breakout cable should be in the box.
PS: it's Wolfson.

Is there a guide for how to set up PC XO with Bidule instead of Console? I use console for the moment. I did a quick look at Bidule... doesnt look very easy to me... couldnt find any inputs, only outputs.... heeeelp! :)

I am working with Bidule but I haven't completed it yet. I like it better than console and it is more flexible. I will be glad to post something when I get it figured. I am using Acourate and I am migrating from a linux set up to windows with bidule. There are some other folks on the Acourate list that are also using bidule

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.