A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Perhaps you have some bad solder joints. Check the underside of the board for bad solder joints, especially around R3 and R4. It could have been bad solder joint or joints at the JFETs also although it's too late to check that.

It doesn't hurt to reflow the joints in the area.

Since the JFETs test OK, reinstall them, making sure that they are in their correct positions before soldering, and see if it works.

I understand the frustration. On the positive side you have probably learned a lot. I know I do every time I stumble across issues…

I’ve been thinking you should reflow whatever looks suspicious, like Ben says. But what about your PCB traces? Any sign of lifted or suspicious traces? Any particular joint in the path that you may have unsoldered or resoldered several times?

I wish you good luck! You have stamina, and IME that will get you there in the end.

Cheers,
Andy

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sunday Update

Yesterday I put everything back together on F4 left channel. New bias.

And took readings on my bench.

Everything looked good.

Today I put the F4 in my system.

Still no sound out of the left channel.

And no readings from R3 & R4

See attached chart.

Not sure next steps.

Attachments

• F4 Left Chan readings.png
    F4 Left Chan readings.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 134
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those voltages are low considering that you measured no voltage drop across R3 and R4. The low voltages at R6 and R7 point to current flowing somewhere, but no voltage across R3 and R4 says that the current is not flowing through the JFETs. So where is it going?

You measured normal voltages when it was on the bench but now the voltages are not good. So something has changed. But before taking it apart again it is time to take a whole bunch of measurements to get a bigger picture.

Please take voltage measurements ACROSS the following:

R1, R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, R8, R9, R22, R24, R25, D3, D4.

Also measure the voltage at R6 and R6 relative to ground again.

Also some focused and detailed pictures of the board and amplifier please. At least one good picture of the overall layout showing input jack and whole board too.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ben,

Ok. I will get to work. In the mean time, here are some photos. For some reason I couldn't get them to upload yesterday.

And thanks for the help.

Chip

Attachments

• F4 Left Chan 1.jpg
    F4 Left Chan 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 141
  • F4 left chan 2.jpg
    F4 left chan 2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 138
  • F4 left chan 3.jpg
    F4 left chan 3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 138
  • F4 left chan 4.png
    F4 left chan 4.png
    941.1 KB · Views: 148
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Those voltages are low considering that you measured no voltage drop across R3 and R4. The low voltages at R6 and R7 point to current flowing somewhere, but no voltage across R3 and R4 says that the current is not flowing through the JFETs. So where is it going?

You measured normal voltages when it was on the bench but now the voltages are not good. So something has changed. But before taking it apart again it is time to take a whole bunch of measurements to get a bigger picture.

Please take voltage measurements ACROSS the following:

R1, R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, R8, R9, R22, R24, R25, D3, D4.

Also measure the voltage at R6 and R6 relative to ground again.

Also some focused and detailed pictures of the board and amplifier please. At least one good picture of the overall layout showing input jack and whole board too.

See attached chart for values

Attachments

• F4 New Measures.png
    F4 New Measures.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 116
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Chip,

Previously when you gave the voltage at R6 and R7, were they relative to Ground as I had asked in post #2707 (A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier.)?

When I ask for voltage "at" a location, that would be relative to Ground. When I ask for voltage "across" a component, that would be at the component with one probe at each end of the component.

Please measure the voltage at R7 relative to Ground (as shown in post #2707). I had a typo in my previous post and asked for R6 and R6 when I intended R6 and R7.

The voltage drops across R5, R6, and R7 indicate approximately 1.6mA of current in consumed by the front end circuit. That is consistent with the front end current draw with the JFETs not turning on and not working.

Looking at the latest measurements, the voltages across D3 and D4 look low. That voltage should be equal to the power supply voltage. Please measure the V+ and V- voltages relative to Ground, and the voltages at both sides of R1 relative to Ground.

If your power supply voltages measure +/-21.4V, then the voltages across D3 and D4 are equal to the power supply voltages as they should be, and if the voltages at R1 relative to ground is zero, then the voltages to the JFETs are good. The bad is that the JFETs are not turning on even though they are provided with the proper voltages.

The bad news would be that the JFETs don't appear to be working even though you had tested them when they were off the board and that they seemed to be working when you bench tested the channel after reassembly.

So then the possible reason is bad solder joints or bad JFETs.