A Fistful of Solder

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I know this one by Juma (a BJT based F5 HPA) is 24 parts and double the limit but topologically simple and I have the PCBs as Prasi gave them to me. I really want to try it.

576067d1477201576-jumas-head-amp-ha-f5-bjtin-gif

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I will measure the fr response with both headphones, planar and dynamic. Will see what we get. It sounds good. Distortion is low, ~0.072% at pretty high level. The 1kHz spectrum I posted is with asymmetric resistors, upper one at 8 ohms, lower one at 2 ohms.

Quoting myself here, i measured fr response for Juma's circuit with dynamic and planars connected. The same conditions for both, slightly lower lovel, close to -10dB as oposed to -5 dB i normaly use. Luckily i do not wear the headphones during measurement.
Long story short, there is a difference. Planars with flat resistance have flatter response. Dynamic headphones have hump around 100Hz, likely fs?
Bummer is, there is rolloff at highs. Not sure why.

Attachments

• 20211117_185223.jpg
    20211117_185223.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 196
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, the BF862 and LU1014D sounded very good. I even put it in a chassis which I rarely do. If I have time I will revisit the chassis and fix some grounding errors I made back then as a novice DIY amp builder. I had no concept of “dirty” vs “clean” grounds back then. But it was a nice headphone amp. I do recall it needed a circa 4.7ohm series resistor at the output before the headphone jack. Or else it made a screeching sound when headphone was plugged in. 2-4 KHz oscillation.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Quoting myself here, i measured fr response for Juma's circuit with dynamic and planars connected...
Bummer is, there is rolloff at highs. Not sure why.

Hey, Adason.

Did you experiment any further with the version of this amp you built for speakers? Any change to the schematic?
What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

I have some LUD's on the way and may start my power JFET fun with your brilliantly simple amp.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I got the solder out and assembled everything together for the BF862/IRF610 combo. A bit disappointed because I used a 24V smps brick and the Juma Easy Peasy Cap Multiplier with an IRF610 mosfet. SMPS voltage was 24.5V and I measured the Cap multiplier voltage at 21.5V, so not the expected 20V or so. When I connected each pcb to the cap multiplier, voltage went UP to 23.8V and now looks like there is no voltage drop at all. Maybe the IRF610 died.

I grabbed a variable linear supply and dialed it in to 20V and verified that the voltages appear close to what was indicated in the sim. I'll play a bit more with the cap multiplier circuit. I have several IRF610s in my parts stock, so I'll swap it out and see if I get closer to the target voltage. I'll probably check both amplifier boards to make sure I don't have a short somewhere.