900W Class H Power Amplifier

I use this amp for full-range signal.
Test 1kHz, output signal is about 80V peak-to-peak.
Depending on the grounded radiator or not, distortion is varied from a few percent up to a hundredth of a percent. This clearly demonstrates the importance of the right approach.

Interference from switching this is a typical problem of all amplifiers of this class. Therefore, it is important to do so that she didn't preisnachlass on low voltage and the input circuit. If this is not taken into account, then sharply increase distortion. It is also important to slow down switch to move the clutter spectrum in the low frequency region, where it is better suppressed feedback. However, this increases the power dissipation on the key, so you have to compromise. In the APEX amplifier a switching speed is very large, and therefore a hindrance switch has a hard spectrum, and given the small loop gain, its suppression will be small. In my amplifier was used a switch similar to those used in QSC RMX2450 amplifiers.

Last edited:
Yes the switching is allways problem with class H. I made a lot of study about it. Internal capacitances of the output/driver stage are the basic reason of it. The best way would be to reduce/eliminate this capacitances, however it's impossible. Another solution to reduce the series base resistors to the absolute minimum.
Controlled slew rate switching is the easiest way, but as You wrote it will increase the dissipation of the switching element. And not easy to find the best compromise.
You can also try speed up the amplifier itself, to be able the nfb to correct the switching noises.
But there is another way: Using modulated rail class H. This means more output devices, but my experience that they sounds much better. The only advantage of the switching is the less cost, and a little bit more power.

Sajti

The main idea was to show this version of the amplifier in G-class :) For sound it is really better.
VDIJ (from that forum) for a long time could not find a suitable radiators, now he has solved this problem and collects design in housing.

Last edited:
The pcb of the modulated rail version. Version 1.0. Still need to check once again...

Sajti

Attachments

• G_class_pcb.png
    G_class_pcb.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 815