900W Class H Power Amplifier

3rd amplifier at a finish line :) Power transformer same as QSC RMX2450 and previous. Power module, protection and channels.

Attachments

• 20141108_140856.jpg
    20141108_140856.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 20141108_141002.jpg
    20141108_141002.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
Very nice! I would not abandon such radiators, if they were we have for sale.
One problem: this profiles cannot be used for amplifiers with 4 or more pairs TO264 output transistors. Because you need to place at the heatsink not only output stage. Drivers, pre-drivers, diodes, voltage amplifier output stage, etc. - that's all is a hot parts. Therefore, for high power amplifiers profitable double-row arrangement of transistors, called "butterfly". In addition, this arrangement minimizes the power circuits of the output stage. It is this construction I prefer to use.

Last edited:
So the heatsinks are act as power supply rails too...
Your idea is not entirely successful. I would have done differently: under the output transistors would put tires made of aluminum or copper strips with a thickness of 5...10 mm, tires would be insulated from the heat sinks and transistors fastened directly to the tires. The point is that noise from the output stage is not emanated would sink to the input circuit of the amplifier. In this case, the radiators can be grounded on the body of the device.
PS.: The pictures show arrangement for single channel only!
Ok, that alters the case :) But the radiator is still better to ground.
PS. I completely forgot about the existence of ceramic pads for transistors. No additional tires do not need, if you remember the conductivity of this pottery.

Last edited:
Your idea is not entirely successful. I would have done differently: under the output transistors would put tires made of aluminum or copper strips with a thickness of 5...10 mm, tires would be insulated from the heat sinks and transistors fastened directly to the tires. The point is that noise from the output stage is not emanated would sink to the input circuit of the amplifier. In this case, the radiators can be grounded on the body of the device.
Ok, that alters the case :) But the radiator is still better to ground.

I understand Your solution. However the missing insulators let me to use smaller heatsink, because of the better thermal coupling. The PSU noise is not issue with class AB (smaller power up to 500W/4ohm), and for higher power I will try to use modulated rail class H.

Sajti

The PSU noise is not issue with class AB (smaller power up to 500W/4ohm), and for higher power I will try to use modulated rail class H.

Sajti
For AB-class you are right. On H-class switching floors gives a big hindrance with significant high frequency.
I did an experiment: on the radiator housed the output stage and the radiator was not grounded. On the oscilloscope was visible interference from switching floors. After grounding the heat sink obstacle completely disappeared. On the website, where I showed waveforms, was given the first case, for clarity and awareness of the need of a competent design. Therefore, if the radiator is not grounded, it will be accompanied by a sharp increase in the higher order distortion at the beginning of the connection of the second floor.