• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

807 Sound Quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
>>> How much W it sport?
>> It's about 6W/ch.
>> Each tube is biased at 70mA, dissipation is at about 85% of max Pd.
> Its 25W Pd, so 6W in UL is too little.

You may be confusing Output with Dissipation.

A SE tet/pentode can run maximum 'clean' Sine output about 40% of its dissipation.

e_ says he is running 85% of rated dissipation. Assuming 25W, this is 21W (about 300V 70mA). Assuming 40% of that, he "should" have 8.5W Output at about 5%-8% THD, if the loading and bias are just-right. So the "6W" figure is reasonable if e_ has measured at a lower THD point, or tuned load and bias for "sound" rather than maximum power.

Working a 42W 6550 at 39W, and trying different loads, I was able to get 13W Out pretty clean and 17W Out pretty bent. (24W clipped to near-square.) 13W out for 39W Pdiss is output 33% of dissipation; 17W out for 39W Pdiss is output 43% of dissipation.

I mean say 6 or 8W power output is little for my FR driver 94dB 8 ohms.
I would like min.10W or 12W from one 1625, I dont want pay KT88 prices.
There is no reliable info on 807/1625 time life.
ALso seems KT150 timelife is the usual 2k HOURS for 90USD:eek:

If that's the case you might consider parallel operation. I built a 6L6 (not GC) push pull parallel triode connected amp that puts out 17W <2% distortion. UL connection gets over 40W. Granted it's more of a pain in the *** to balance 4 tubes than 2 but much cheaper than KT88...

>>> How much W it sport?
>> It's about 6W/ch.
>> Each tube is biased at 70mA, dissipation is at about 85% of max Pd.
> Its 25W Pd, so 6W in UL is too little.

You may be confusing Output with Dissipation.

e_ says he is running 85% of rated dissipation. Assuming 25W, this is 21W (about 300V 70mA). Assuming 40% of that, he "should" have 8.5W Output at about 5%-8% THD, if the loading and bias are just-right. So the "6W" figure is reasonable if e_ has measured at a lower THD point, or tuned load and bias for "sound" rather than maximum power.

You are correct, I tuned by ear for 'sound' rather than maximum power. I was never into the more power the better, I actually have a SE Darling Amp (1626 tube) with an output of 0.75W that I really enjoy. These 1626 looks like miniature 807, they are highly WAF ;)

I mean say 6 or 8W power output is little for my FR driver 94dB 8 ohms.
I would like min.10W or 12W

do you really need a few extra W ? - the extra power isn't going to make it a much louder amplifier because our ears are logarithmic. You could spend a lot of effort when all you had to do was sit a couple of feet closer to the speakers :cool:

do you really need a few extra W ? - the extra power isn't going to make it a much louder amplifier because our ears are logarithmic. You could spend a lot of effort when all you had to do was sit a couple of feet closer to the speakers :cool:
I dont know kow much tube W I will need, but I will seat about 3 meters from the speakers as my room is small.
My speaker is the AN Classic10Alnico;
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an10classicalnicospecs.jpg

I dont know kow much tube W I will need, but I will seat about 3 meters from the speakers as my room is small.
My speaker is the AN Classic10Alnico;
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an10classicalnicospecs.jpg

I think you'll be fine although it's really dependant on your enclosures. I have a 400 square foot apartment with 96db speakers and 4W is too loud. Energy RC-70. Have to shout over it. It's surprising just how much power 1 watt really is.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My enclosure will be BassReflex about 189L, VAS = 124,6L
Seems Energy RC-70 is 92dB sensitivity (?)
Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-70 Surround Speaker System Specifications | Sound & Vision

I've read 92 as well, but I've also seen 96 published. I would rate them 96 based on comparisons to other speakers though.

I'm sure 6-8W will be plenty.

What genre of music? I listen to a variety from jazz to drum and bass, jungle, and other bass heavy synthetic music. Some of which the bass line is pure sine. 4W is great. 16W is greater. My 16W is 4 6P3S push pull parallel per channel at B+ 460. My 4W is 410V push pull CCS loaded 6P3S. All triode connected and switchable to "high power". 16W has UL for 50W, 4W has screen regulated tetrode for 30W.

For the record my Apt Holman amp 1 I can't distort the output (120W) I just cant stand the SPL it creates!

I've read 92 as well, but I've also seen 96 published. I would rate them 96 based on comparisons to other speakers though.

I'm sure 6-8W will be plenty.

What genre of music? I listen to a variety from jazz to drum and bass, jungle, and other bass heavy synthetic music. Some of which the bass line is pure sine. 4W is great. 16W is greater. My 16W is 4 6P3S push pull parallel per channel at B+ 460. My 4W is 410V push pull CCS loaded 6P3S. All triode connected and switchable to "high power". 16W has UL for 50W, 4W has screen regulated tetrode for 30W.

For the record my Apt Holman amp 1 I can't distort the output (120W) I just cant stand the SPL it creates!
OK, according this factory paper its 95dB for two speakers:
2 speakers in a typical room: 95 dB
http://www.energy-speakers.com/docs/common/RC-70/RC-70_OM.pdf
===
So if 4W are plenty to your 92dB speaker, 10W will suit my FR.
I listen Jazz, Vocal Jazz, Classical, Prog Rock and Ambient among other styles.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.